PS is practicing yoga since the age of 11. Her yoga retreats in India have helped her gain deep insights into self-awareness.
If you sincerely want to follow the path of kundalini yoga, then you must take this route with a completely different perspective.
- You must discipline your whole life.
- You must devote yourself to your practices and goal.
- You must live a life of moderation.
- You must try to attain higher awareness in the midst of your daily duties.
- You must seek guidance from a competent guru.
- You must be passionate and faithful to your practices.
- You must heed your guru’s instructions.
- You must devote your every morning to perfecting your practices.
Irrespective of your personal aim, commitments, and relationships, kundalini yoga can make you more focused, efficient, and aware of your potential.
Keeping these points in mind and following them will transform your life in the most exciting manner. From here, you begin your journey to gain inner experience and wholesome life.
Rules to follow to prepare yourself for kundalini yoga -
1. Follow a vegetarian diet
- If you have already made your mind to practice kundalini yoga, then you must be living a well-balanced life and having a vegetarian diet.
- If you are still waking up late at night, drinking alcohol, taking drugs, and eating meat, it is recommended to slow down these habits and avoid them completely.
- Practice Hatha yoga Shatkarmas such as Shankhaprakshalana and Moola Shodhana to cleanse your body.
- If you don’t follow a balanced vegetarian diet yet, then it is better to not start with the practices.
- Eat easily digestible and fresh vegetarian food in moderation.
- Kundalini yoga purifies your whole body. So, if your body has excessive toxins, then you may need to go through an intensive cleaning process.
- Your consumption of excessive food will create problems while practicing most of the techniques such as Uddiyana Bandha and pranayama. So, carefully choose your food.
- Don’t starve yourself, just go for sensible eating habits. Have food only when you really need it.
2. Cure your illness, first
- If you have any physical sickness, then don’t start with the kundalini technique yet.
- First, cure your sickness by the appropriate methods such as Hatha yoga techniques.
- If you have some serious emotional or mental issues, then don’t yet begin with the kundalini yoga.
- Practice other forms of yoga. When your mind is relaxed and you have harmony in your life, you can start kundalini yoga.
- The techniques involved in awakening the kundalini are highly intense, so it’s important to have a great degree of mental stability, else your condition may get more serious.
- If this is you, better contact with a well-qualified teacher.
- For practicing kundalini yoga, sound health is of utmost importance.
3. Practice basic yoga then start with kundalini yoga
- Before kundalini yoga, start with other forms of yoga especially Hatha and raja yoga for a year or more.
- You must be expert in Surya Namaskara, Pawanmuktasana, Shakti Bandha asanas, Dhanurasana, Sarvangasana, Matsyasana, Bhujangasana, Shalabhasana, Ardha Matsjendrasana, and Paschimottanasana.
- You should also practice Shatkarmas along with pranayama such as Nadi Shodhana.
- To gain proficiency in these techniques, you must take the help of a yoga teacher.
4. Early morning is the best time for your practices
- The best time to do your practices is early in the morning between 4 am and 6 am.
- This time is called Brahma Muhurta in Sanskrit. It means ‘the divine time’.
- During this time, the spiritual fire is at its peak and there are very few distractions both internally and externally.
- If you can’t manage to practice at this time, then choose the time when your stomach is not loaded.
5. Practice at the same place
- It is better to practice at the same place every day.
- This will build up a positive environment and enhance your mood to intensely conduct the practices.
- Keep this place clean, well-ventilated, and peaceful.
- It must be dry and should not be too hot or cold.
- Never practice on the barre floor, use a mat instead.
- Avoid using fans, unless it is absolutely necessary.
6. Wear comfortable clothes
- Your clothing depends on the climatic condition.
- Generally, you must wear loose, comfortable, and light clothes.
7. Strictly follow your practices
- It is extremely essential to regularly do your practices.
- It is possible your mind keeps on baiting you to avoid the practice for a day, but you must keep your spirits up all the time.
- Providing you are not ill, you must strictly follow your practices.
8. Start with basic asanas then with kundalini practices
- Before starting the yoga, empty your bowels and take a shower. Coldwater is the best irrespective of your location.
- If you live in a cold environment, then you can wash your face with cold water. This is important to prevent you from drowsiness.
- Start with basic asanas then proceed to kundalini practices.
- If you are short on time, then you can practice Surya Namaskara at least 5 to 10 times.
- Always start slowly, then increase the pace.
- Your practice must be followed by a short break of Shavasana so that your breathing may return back to normal.
9. Don’t interfere with your thoughts, just witness them
- If your mind keeps on jumping at various places like a monkey, there’s nothing to worry about. Just let it be.
- Don’t suppress your emotions and thoughts. Let them flow naturally.
- Instead of judging them, watch them as a witness and carry on with your practices.
- After a while, your mind will achieve stability.
- Irrespective of what goes on, you must be faithful to your practices.
- When you witness your thoughts, instead of interfering in them, you are gradually progressing towards awareness.
The above rules are applicable to each chakra practices as well as to the techniques of kriya yoga. You must follow these rules as closely as possible.
© 2020 Prachi Sharma