Have a positive mindset and a healthy body during Covid's new normal by following the 7 tips for your mental & physical well-being.
You are watching TV and updates about the rising fatalities, and a new variant has emerged yet again. For the last year and a half, you hear reports about the pandemic that has drastically changed everyone's lives. You notice how the stress of bad headlines has affected you, confirming a study that adults’ stress levels are 5.4 out of 5.9 during the height of Covid.
You notice feeling down and gloomy while your body feels sluggish and exhausted. You wonder how the news has made a dent in your mental and physical health. How do you handle the bleak realities of the virus and still be ok?
What should you do while the experts try to control the invisible Covid monster? The simple answer is to continue living your life the best way you can. A positive mindset deals with unpleasant situations positively and productively. A healthy body nourished with a good diet and daily exercise boosts immunity and produces overall well-being.
Here are seven tips to keep you in a positive mind frame and top physical shape:
1. Start Your Day with Gratitude
Start your day right with positive thoughts on your initial moment of consciousness. Instead of reaching out for your smartphone to read messages, use the next five minutes to welcome your day with gratitude. The quiet time that you observe can be used to:
- Practice deep breathing exercises to strengthen the lungs and help the lymphatic system drain out the excess liquid that causes congestion.
- Meditate to soothe the sympathetic nervous system of tension, fatigue, and anxiety.
- Say a prayer of gratitude and count your blessings.
The practice of gratitude consciously recognizes the positive aspects of life. Remember what gives you happiness and makes you smile- your family, your pets, your community, etc. Be thankful for good health and the ability to use the day for a positive difference.
2. Stretch Out Your Arms and Legs
The simple act of stretching signals your body to kickstart itself in preparation for an active day. It is a warm-up routine to ease muscle tension and reduce pain in the joints. Stretching allows an easy flow and movement of the arms and the legs.
When you lengthen your muscles, you set them up for a comfortable flow of movement. A good stretch loosens the tight limbs and allows mobility in the body. It prevents musculoskeletal disorders that develop from repetitive use while working.
A quick stretch brings multiple benefits to the body. This routine, when practiced daily, brings the following perks to the body:
- Better circulation for the whole body
- Less back pain from sitting down a long time
- Improve flexibility for bending the joints
- Better posture from the wrong angle of the body
- Reduce injury from sports or hobbies
3. Step Out into the Sunshine
The sun is a natural energizer for the body in both physical and mental states. You get vitamin D from 15-20 mins of morning sunlight to strengthen your bones and increase your body’s immunity. When the sun's rays hit your skin, it releases nitric oxide into your blood that helps lower the blood pressure.
You get into a better mood with the extra dose of serotonin that makes you feel the sunny disposition. Increased serotonin helps manage insomnia because melatonin signals your brain to sleep during the nighttime.
4. Eat a Healthy Breakfast
A practical menu made up of a no-fuss and simple healthy breakfast to start your day. Mothers would always say, eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and a pauper for dinner. But that is their funny way of saying eat a good breakfast, a hearty lunch, and a light dinner.
- Oatmeal for fiber requirement
- Eggs for complete protein
- Yogurt for calcium, protein, probiotic digestive aid
- Milk for calcium and bone care
- Fruits like berries, avocado, citrus for vitamin C, and fiber
- Canned Fish like Tuna, Sardines, or Salmon for protein
5. Set a Time to Exercise
If you want to maintain a fit body and a youthful face, then you have to exercise. There is no way around this but getting your system to move and sweat out the toxins in your system. Exercise in the morning will give you a boost of endorphins that makes you feel confident and happy.
- Cardio Exercise like brisk walking, jogging, or biking will force your heart to pump blood all over your body.
- Strength Training using light weights is done in 12-count repetitions that strengthen the bones and sets the body for good posture.
- Stretching exercises like Yoga or Pilates keeps you flexible and your joints in good condition.
6. Connect with Family and Friends
Face-to-face get-togethers are discouraged to avoid mixing household bubbles. Family and friendly gatherings are done virtually by Zoom or video calls. The video sessions in real-time allow frequent interactions and prevent feeling isolated. It is an effective way to keep in touch and maintain a social connection with everyone.
- Cocktail Zoom
- Brunch Zoom
- Birthday Zoom
- Dance-a-Thon Zoom
- Yoga Zoom
- Religious or Bible Study Zoom
7. Develop a Hobby or Interest
It is never too late to pursue a hobby or interest while most everyone is at home. You may want to paint or draw, maybe dance the Flamenco or Zumba or play the guitar or piano. These are all available on YouTube, and if you are serious, you can enroll in an online class.
You can learn something new and do self-improvement with plenty of time in your hands. You do not have a hectic schedule to get in the way of pursuing a hobby or interest. Doing this gives you a sense of achievement, instead of doing Netflix marathons to pass the time.
Mostly everyone is in suspended motion. Standing on the sidelines for the situation to get better. Waiting and hoping the future brings better options for the new normal.
But the one thing you can control during these uncertain times is to keep a positive attitude and commit to a healthy physical self. That is the new YOU during the pandemic.
© 2021 Marissa ST
Marissa ST (author) from Davao City, Philippines on July 08, 2021:
Thank you and yes, be as creative as you can with your Zoom events!
Jen C on July 08, 2021:
Such a great read and exactly what I needed today! Especially the part about sunshine.. oh and I never realized there were so many kinds of zooms! I need more articles like this!!!