A cluttered home is equivalent to a messy life. It leads to chaos, and you waste your valuable time looking for lost items. You can utilize this time to plan and complete tasks that ultimately leads to goal completion. Decluttering does not mean getting rid of only unwanted household items. It means organizing every area of your life. This article will provide you valuable tips you need to get out of the mess.
Tip #1: Decluttering Your Home
Your house is a place where you socialize and relax after a full day’s work. But messy surroundings can lead to stress and anxiety.
So, what to do?
Here a few steps that you can take to declutter your surroundings:
- Clean each room one by one. Get rid of items that have been lying unused for more than a year, and you will not require them in the future. You can throw, sell, or give them to a needy person.
- Clean your surroundings. Wipe doors, windows, and walls of each room one by one.
- Organize your home. Make sure you have a dedicated place for every item in your house.
Tip #2: Decluttering Your Mind
Your mind is responsible for the path you follow. But it is the most neglected organ of the body. You take care of everything but neglect your mind. Everything that happens in your life is a result of the way you think. According to the universal law, you attract what you think about the most into your life.
Here are a few tips to dominate your thought patterns and develop a positive attitude towards life:
- Pay attention to your thoughts. Write down whatever comes to your mind. It will empty your mind, and you will feel relaxed. Always maintain a list of activities to be done each day.
- Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Focus your mental energy on what you want to achieve instead of what you do not.
Tip #3: Get rid of Toxic Friends
Your friends are a reflection of your character. You may have friends who are too lazy to change their lives. They waste their precious time watching TV, attending parties, making unnecessary phone calls, etc. They will always hold you back from reaching your goals.
Here are a few tips to get rid of them and make new friends:
- Stop spending time with friends who indulge in non-productive activities and have no goals to achieve.
- Focus on your goals, and start to distance yourself from them. It is not easy in the beginning as you might have known many of them for quite a long time. Keep them out of your life once you get rid of them.
- Start networking with like-minded people. You can attend workshops and seminars where you will find people who want to change their lives for good.
Tip #4: Manage Your Time
Successful people are neither blessed with divine powers nor do they have extra hours in a day to work. So what makes them so successful? Your answer will be hard work. But, along with hard work, they know how to manage their time effectively.
Here we will see the basic daily routine pattern followed by them to manage their time:
- Prepare a to-do list a night before and keep it with you throughout the day. Tick off each task as soon as it gets completed. It will give you a sense of satisfaction and achievement.
- Wake up early than the rest of the world. It’s not necessary to wake up at 4 in the morning. But, you should develop a habit of getting up an hour earlier.
- Exercise daily in the morning for a healthy body. Blood gets circulated throughout your body, and this energizes your brain.
- Have a proper breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day as it feeds your brain and makes it active to perform tasks for the rest of the day.
- Working on your major goal should be the number one priority when you start doing your work. You are fresh, active, and productive but, as the day ends, you become tired and are not able to focus.
Tip #5: Declutter Your Work Area
Treat your home and work environment equally. If it is cluttered, your productivity level will go down. The most magical place in your work area is your desk. Keep it free from unnecessary stuff as if you do not find an item you are looking for, you will get stressed.
Here are a few tips to declutter you work area:
- Avoid displaying too many awards, trophies(if any), photographs on the desk as they all add up to creating distractions. They all take you down in memory lane, and your productive time gets wasted.
- Get rid of stationery items that are no longer in use.
- Develop a habit of cleaning your work area every day before winding up.
Tip #6: Avoid too Many Commitments
Do you often complain of fewer working hours to get things done? Then stop making too many commitments. You are responsible for making your life hard.
So, here are a few tips that you can follow to declutter your commitments:
- Write down a list of tasks that you can achieve on a daily or weekly basis. Stick to your to-do list.
- If you have so many meetings to attend, cancel a few of the less important ones. Apologize to people for the inconvenience.
- Take a break from extra-curricula activities and spend some time with yourself. You will regain your lost energy and feel refreshed when you return to work.
Tip #7: Maintenance of Your new Decluttered Life
You have done a lot of hard work to declutter your life. But you should also know how to maintain it.
Let us see some tips on how to live a decluttered life:
- Do not go back into the habit of buying useless things. Inspect your home once a week to check if it is clean and organized.
- Make habit of decluttering your mind a part of daily routine. Once positive thinking converts into a habit you will attract everything you want in your life.
- Do not get drawn back into the unhealthy relationships once you get rid of them. Evaluate new people that enter your life. Avoid repeating mistakes of the past.
- Practice the daily routine for 21 days until it becomes a habit.
- Treat your work area as your home. Keep it clean, get rid of unnecessary paperwork, and write a to-do list for the next day. You will become more productive, less stressed, and complete your tasks on time.
- Make commitments that you can handle without getting exhausted.
Everyone’s ideal life is different. But, if you are reading this article, it means your life is messy, and you want to organize it. You have to consistently practice all the tips to make them work for you.
You have to make conscious efforts and maintain discipline before you see the results pouring in.
Share your views or any other tip you have to declutter your life in the comments below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Preeti Shah
Preeti Shah (author) from Delhi on November 08, 2020:
I am glad that you find this post useful. Decluttering your mind is the biggest challenge people are facing today as they are surrounded by too many activities at the same time. If we try to focus on only one activity at a time, then we can reduce the amount of stress. Also, you are an artist. It is very difficult to calm down a creative mind. So, you have to work hard to make your life stress free. All the best and enjoy your life.
Preeti Shah (author) from Delhi on November 08, 2020:
It feels great when someone gets benefitted from your experience. I know Risha you are inclined towards art like me and it is extremely difficult for artists to declutter their mind. But we can try a few techniques to calm ourselves.
Risha Khan from Bhilai, Chhattisgarh on November 08, 2020:
You have shared quite useful tips for decluttering house as well as toxic people from one's life. The biggest challenge I face daily is decluttering my mind. I feel stressed at times. I will try to focus on the brighter side of life. Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. All the best for your future endeavours!!!