Writer pursuing Diploma in Pharmacy and on a mission to help individuals to achieve healthy lifestyles with natural methods.
Fasting is one of the best methods to heal the body naturally. Intermittent fasting is one such fasting type and is a more modern and scientific way of fasting. It is one of the most effective and convenient methods to practice fasting, as there are several time patterns you can follow. The list of benefits is vast. Nowadays, many doctors and fitness experts suggest intermittent fasting to their patients to cure several diseases. So, if you are a beginner looking for tips to start practicing intermittent fasting, then you are on the right page. Here we have shared a few amazing tips to help you begin your fasting journey smoothly.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting focuses on when you should eat rather than what you eat. It consists of two parts, one fasting window, and the other eating window. It mainly emphasizes the gap between the two fed times. For example, you can fast for sixteen hours and eat during the remaining hours. You are free to select the type of intermittent fasting depending on your needs.
Different methods of intermittent fasting -
- 16/8 Fasting – In this method, we fast for sixteen hours and have one, two, or three meals between eight hours.
- 5:2 Fasting – This is also a suitable method of fasting. In this method, we fast twice a week. We eat five days a week and have fast for two days with low-calorie intake approx 500 to 600 calories on a fasting day.
- 24 hours Fast –This is a full-day fast. According to this fasting method, we keep twenty-four hours fast once or twice a week.
- Fasting on alternate days - It can be hard to fast in this method because we have to keep fast on alternate days with one meal in between.
These are some common methods of intermittent fasting. Before choosing any method to start fasting, you should think about your body condition. This is because selecting the wrong way of fasting can be harmful than beneficial to your health.
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting -
Intermittent fasting has lots of amazing health benefits. These are as follows -
- Helps in weight loss.
- Reduces the risk of developing cancer.
- Mental sharpness
- Slows down the signs of aging
- Increases Human Growth Hormones (HGH).
- Helps in sleeping better
- Helps in Alzheimer/ type -3 diabetes
- Increases metabolism
- Glowing skin.
The most amazing benefit of intermittent fasting is that it can help achieving autophagy. Autophagy is a condition in which damaged cell components are destroyed automatically.
Now, let’s discuss amazing tips to help you begin your fasting journey smoothly.
Intermittent Fasting Tips for Beginners -
If you are going to start intermittent fasting, you should follow these tips to keep your fasting journey smooth and safe and help in getting better results.
- Start slowly –This is because most of us are not habitual of fasting. So, starting intermittent fasting with 16/8 methods or any other can cause adverse effects on the body, such as headaches and starvation. Instead of starting with 16 hours, we should begin with 12 or 13 hours fast.
- Eat less or low nutrition food during eating window - as we know that during eating window, we have to take our all nutrition within 2 or 3 meals. So, we should keep our meals full of nutrition and high in calories.
- Break your fast with light or something easy on stomach - our body has no food during fasting period, so we should not awake our body with a heavy meal. Instead of this, we should take low carb or drink some juice.
- Stay Hydrated - We should keep ourselves hydrated because the body’s biochemical reaction needs water, and taking less or no water can cause dehydration.
- Staying busy during the fasting period- this can help us to divert our mind from hunger.
- Doing some exercise - when we are fasting, it does not mean that we should not do physical work or exercise because we are eating less. Exercise will enhance the benefits of fasting, and we can lose fat fast with intermittent fasting as compared to regular fasting.
- Good sleep - a good sleep of 7-8 hours is necessary, and it will help to maintain the proper functioning of the body. Also, it will help to pass the fasting hours without feeling too much hungry. If you do not sleep well, then you feel hungry faster.
Bonus tip - I also suggest that you should not be rigid when starting intermittent fasting. If you cannot handle your hunger, then take some plain coffee or tea in between the fasting period.
Who Should Avoid Intermittent Fasting -
Intermittent fasting is natural and safe, but it can be harmful to those who suffer from diseases or have other medical problems such as
- Diabetic patients
- The person whose age is more than sixty-five.
- Children below the age of 18.
- Having chronic heart issues
- If you were recently hospitalized.
I personally recommend doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting method instead of others because it is more sustainable for a long time. I tried three methods of intermittent fasting, but I felt more energetic and beneficial in this method. I am still doing it, and I already lost 1.8kgthrough this method within a month. So, if you are going to start, then try the 16/8 method.
These were the seven amazing tips for beginners who want to start intermittent fasting. You should apply these tips in your fasting journey, and then you will feel how these tips make your fasting easy and less problematic. The results will take some time, so you need to do the fasting at least for a month to see the results. If you feel any severe problems during fasting, you should stop it and consult your doctor. If you have decided to start intermittent fasting, then comment below which method you are going to start.
#intermittentfasting #weightloss #anilreddu #rajindersoni #digitalwritopreneur
Written by: Anil Reddu, Digital Writopreneur
Edited by: Rajinder Soni, Cheif Coach Digital Writopreneurs Hub and Academy, New Delhi
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Anil Reddu