Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Results
The Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a fantastic, kick-hiney workout video that will get you sweating and shedding the pounds in no time. Here I share my detailed Jillian Michaels 30 day shred results as well as a break down of the 30 day shred routine and the 30 day slimdown challenge.
I am starting this page on week 2 of my personal 30 day shred journey. I am keeping a journal of my day by day experience throughout this challenge. Stay tuned to see my results at the end of the 30 days.
* Image Credit: Jillian Michaels Poster on Amazon.
Where I Started on Day 1 of My 30 Day Shred
Before I started the 30 Day Shred DVD
I had 3 babies back to back. My pre-pregnancy weight was 124 and I wore a size 4, but the day I delivered our first baby I weighed 200 lbs. I packed so much weight onto my tiny, petite 5'4" frame that I had difficulty walking. I took the baby out for walks every day and managed to shed 50 lbs before getting pregnant with our second baby at just 10 months postpartum. I weighed 192 when I delivered our second baby. After I had our him, I joined a gym and started working out. I managed to lose 52 lbs before getting pregnant a third time (again at 10 months postpartum). I weighed 187 when I had our third baby.
Now our youngest baby is 18 months old and I weigh 146. I know for some of you, that may be your goal weight or even less than your goal weight and that's fine. Everyone is built differently. I'm only 5'4" and I'm very small boned. I'm 15 to 20 pounds overweight, though on my small frame it looks more like an extra 30 pounds. I also have low energy levels. I want to sit all the time instead of be active (not fun for my 3 toddlers)
I decided that just losing most of the baby weight wasn't enough for me. I want to get fit. I want to exercise regularly and improve my overall healthy while I also improve my appearance.
After researching a love of workout videos, I chose the 30 Day Shred for me. I was disappointed by a lot of the reviews I read. Most customers would either state that they liked the video or didn't. Some would say they lost weight or inches, but wouldn't say how much or how long it took. So, I'm going to give a very detailed journal of my personal 30 day shred. Here I will tell you exactly what I did for my entire 30DS experience. I will share my detailed results.
Here are my starting stats:
Weight: 145Waist: 34 (Bleh, my husband's waist is a 32!)Thighs: 23 (Yikes, I remember when my waist was 25...my thighs are almost as big as my pre-pregnancy waist)Dress size: 10
My 30 Day Shred Schedule - This is exactly what I'm doing while on my 30 Day Shred
So often when you read reviews of an exercise program, people will say whether they liked it or not. They might even tell you how much weight they lost or how they toned up. But, rarely do they tell you exactly what they did each and every day. This is the exact schedule I'm doing while on my 30 Day Shred. I'm mixing in a few other workouts, but will share exactly what I'm doing. I will be taking 1 day off of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred once per week. It's important to take this break in order to give your muscles a chance to heal and repair. I like to do pilates on my off days to help keep my muscles and ligaments flexible.
If you search the internet for other 30 day shred results, most seem to even count their off days. I even found one online 30 DS review in which she had only done the workout 2 days a week, but counted all her days off. That means in her 30 days of exercise she had only done the 30 DS video about 8 times. In my review I only count the days I actually do the 30 Day Shred. I try to keep active and do other workouts on the days I take off of the 30 DS, but I only count the days I actually do the Jillian Michaels video in my 30 DS journey.
My Daily 30 Day Shred Journal - Follow me along my 30 Day Shred
- Day 1 - I started out with the level 1 workout. What I like about the 30 day shred is that they moves are all very simple. You won't find any difficult choreography here, just hard core no nonsense exercises. I was shocked to discover 30 seconds of jumping jacks in the warm up! Jumping jacks may not be a big deal for you youngsters, but for me at 35 and after have 3 babies, the jumping jacks were grueling. Now my calves are feeling really, really tight from doing the jumping hacks and jump rope. I'm left wondering how sore I will be tomorrow.
- Day 2 - Ok, so my calves are still super, super tight. But I know if I don't exercise the next couple of days and wait for the soreness to go away that when I go back to my workouts I'll have to go through the sore period all over again. So, I put a heating pad on my calves and gave them a long, nice stretch at the same time. After they felt more flexible I did the 30 Day Shred Level 1. I already noticed that I had a bit more stamina on the cardio exercises than I did yesterday. When I finished the workout I felt energized and like I wanted to workout even more. I refrained from doing anymore exercise, however, because I know it's important to start off slowly to avoid injury and to keep from getting burnt out.
- Day 3 - The first two sets of jumping jacks were so much easier today. I was so pleased to discover my endurance increasing and then it happened...the third set of jumping jacks and I simply couldn't do them all. Even on day 1 I could muddle through them all. But, I'm not discouraged. I worked out in the past and I know that this is really typical in the beginning as your body gets used to your exercise. I just pushed through as best a I could. I did keep moving. I still did the arm movements of the jumping jacks with Jillian and just alternated stepping one leg out to the side until I caught my breath enough to do a full jumping jack. The rest of the workout became something I just had to grit my teeth and make it through, but when I finished I felt awesome. I then did the 10 minute mini workout on the Cindy Crawford workout video and then a simple dance cardio warm up on a "10 Minute Solutions" video so that I did a total of 40 minutes of exercise today (though those last 20 minutes where nearly as intense as the 20 minutes I did with Jillian). But I'm now wishing I had started with a Jillian beginner workout video instead of the 30 Day Shred. Live and learn. I'm on day 3 now, so I'll stick with it.
- Day 4 - When I did the level 1 30 Day Shred video today, I literally had sweat dripping off of my forehead. I'm not much of a sweater and normally just break a light sweat when I exercise. I have never had sweat dripping off of my forehead before, not even when I took a kickboxing class at the gym. I also noticed my stamina is improving already. Don't get me wrong, Jillian is still kicking my tail even with the level 1 workout, but after I finished the video today I felt like I still wanted to workout. I'm used to 40 minute workouts, so 20 minutes feels like not enough for me, but I must admit I wouldn't be able to handle 40 minutes of exercising the way Jillian works me. I did a little 10 minute cardio dance video and then stretched and called it a day as far as exercising goes. I already feel stronger, firmer, and notice more energy throughout the day.
- Day 5 - I seem to sweat more and more each day I do this workout. I guess that means I'm getting more out of the workouts now because I can push harder. The jumping jacks were a piece of cake today. Yay! When Jillian said we were on our last strength circuit I thought, "what, already?" So, it is definitely getting easier. My tummy, thighs, and rear end all feel tighter already. I told my husband that today and I could tell by the look on his face that he thought that was in my head, but it honestly isn't. When I do the jumping jacks, my rear and thighs jiggle way less than they did on day 1. I'm really motivated now to see this through and to continue with some sort of high intensity workout after I complete the 30 day shred challenge.
- Day 6 - I took yesterday off of the 30 day shred. When exercising, you are supposed to take a day off once a week or so to give your muscles a chance to heal and repair. Today when I did the 30DS it felt hard and made my muscles feel tight. I regret taking yesterday off. Now I feel like I should have worked out 7 days straight then took a day of rest. Live and learn. I made it through the video today and will workout more than 5 consecutive days before future off days.
- Day 7 - Are you ready for this? I woke up today and already see results. I lost 3 pounds since day 1 of the 30DS. I lost 0.25 inch of my waist and 0.25 inch off my thigh. That's crazy results for just 6 days of exercise with me being in my mid 30's and being a mom of 3 little ones (my oldest is only 4 and a half). When I did the 30DS video today it seemed to fly by. I followed it with a 10 Minute Solutions Cardio Blast low impact aerobic video. Later today I chased after my kids as they played tag in the back yard. Normally I just sit and watch them play. I blamed my lethargy on the hot Texas summer, but today I chased after them without even huffing and puffing. I ran and played and didn't get winded or even need to sit down. It was great! I can't believe how much better I feel already and it's only day 7!
- Day 8 - I'm feeling so motivated to get fit that I just bought myself a brand new pair of Vibram's 5 Finger shoes and did my workout wearing them today. It was awesome. I just wanted to keep going and going. I did the 30 Day Shred, then followed it with the 10 minute solutions cardio workout. I still wanted more, so I did my Winsor Pilates video. I had so much energy afterwards that if I didn't have three little ones to care for I would have headed out for a run. I'm really feeling the benefits of all this exercise!
- Day 9 - Today I had a busy morning. I had to take my daughter to a speech therapy appointment, by the time we got home it was time for lunch. I didn't get a chance to do my 30 Day Shred workout until after my lunch digested. I still completed it and followed it with a 10 minute aerobic workout. I'm feeling so much better and noticing such an increase in endurance that I feel that a positive physical change will follow soon.
- Day 10 - Today was a tough day, but I still worked through it. If you've never exercised before, days like this will frustrate you but be sure not to quit. It's very normal when you begin exercising regularly to have tough days mixed in with your good days. Just push through it. Today I made it through the 30DS level 1 workout and followed it with the 10 minute cardio workout. It felt awful. I wanted to quit. But I just cussed (silently, inside my head, because I have little ones) my way through it and then called it done!
- Day 11 - Well, this was it, my first day of level 2. Level 2 is very different from level 1. The moves are more complicated and work more muscle groups at once. This workout feels like it has a lot more strength training than level 1, but it feels like less of a cardio workout for me. The moves are pretty intense, and I was expecting to be really sore the next day but fortunately I wasn't. A lot of the moves in level 2 require you be in the plank position (like a push up position). It's hard to do the proper form of these exercises and watch the video at the same time, so I recommend watching the level 2 workout before actually doing it.
- Day 12 - My knees are really starting to bother me. They had been aching since the 3rd day of my 30DS. They aren't injured just extremely sore. I've decided I'm going to go back to level 1 and try and not bend my knees quite as much on the lunges and let them heal a bit.
- Day 13 - Ok, so my knees are now killing me. I Googled Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred and knee pain and found tons of women experiencing the same thing. What I found is that the lunges are really hard on your knees if your legs are weak. The muscles in your thighs and calves need to be strong enough to absorb some of the shock of these exercises or it puts too much pressure on your knees. I really don't want to give up on the 30DS. I like the workout and Jillian, but we leave next week for a family vacation and I don't want to be hobbling around. I decided to take a break from 30DS shred and let my knees heal. I'm going to only do low impact exercise for a while until the pain goes away.
- Day 14 - My knees are now fully healed and I'm back on the shred now. Yay! I wore my really good cross trainers to help give me more support and I bent down way less into the lunges in order to protect my knees. So far so good. I had no pain at all today.
- Day 15 - My knees still feel great. I did the shred today and it felt even easier than yesterday. I can now make it through the whole video without having to stop and catch my breath. I really can see a difference in my endurance now when I'm playing with my children. It really shows me what bad shape I was in before I started this exercise program.
Since I'm now halfway through my 30DS I thought I'd share my current stats. i've lost 4 pounds, which is pretty good considering I've put on a bit of muscle. I've lost 0.25 inch off of each thigh and another 0.25 inch of my waist. I've lost 0.15 inch off of each arm. I can tell a visible difference in the way I look in the mirror. My posture is better and when I do the jumping jacks, a lot less jiggles on me than when I first started.
- Day 16 - I'm feeling great! I now realize that I was in terrible shape before I started exercising. I'm doing great with the 30 DS and haven't had any trouble with my knees again.
- Day 17 - Yesterday I did the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. It was intense, but since doing the 30 DS all this time, I was able to do the entire Yoga workout and without any soreness. Today, the shred workout went really easy. Yoga Meltdown helped with my flexibility and balance.
- Day 18 - Today I didn't feel like working out. I really wanted to sit on my rear and eat a combination of salty snacks and sweet treats, but I didn't. Instead I did the 30 DS and then followed it with a Jillian Michaels protein shake. Afterwards I felt fantastic and was so glad that I had worked out.
- Day 19 - I can now do the jumping jacks like nobody's business. Woohoo.
- Day 20 - After doing today's workout, I've decided I'm ready to move on to level 2 again.
- Day 21 - Level 2 baby! I'm so proud of the progress I'm seeing. No, I haven't lost tons of weight, but I feel younger and healthier. I don't get winded playing with my kids or going up multiple flights of stairs.
- Day 22 - I've had a busy week and haven't been working out as hard as I need to. My energy level has dropped a bit as a result.
- Day 23 - Today I did the level 2 shred and then followed it with a brisk 1 mile power walk. I'm starting to get really excited about how my body will look in a couple months.
- Day 24 - I stuck with the level 2 shred today. Today's workout was a tough one. This happens sometimes when you're exercising. Some days your workout will feel great and other days it will be a chore you just have to push through. Today was a chose.
This week is really busy for me. My daughter starts school this week and I have parent's night and other obligations at her school, but I will make myself squeeze 3 workouts this week.
- Day 25 - Today's shred wasn't nearly as awful as yesterday's. I made it through my workout and wanted more, but just didn't have the time.
- Day 26 - Today I wanted to revisit level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. There are a few exercises that I miss in that one. The planks in level 2 do a great job of working my arm strength, but I feel I get more cardio with level 1. And turns out I was right. Level 1 kicked my hiney today after doing level for a while. I think it would be a good idea to mix all the levels to get a well rounded workout routine.
- Day 27 - Wow, today I did level 2 with very little of the modification moves. I do stick with Anita when the advanced model is doing jumping type moves, but that's mainly because I don't want to injure my knees again. Having to stop for a week so my knees could heal back in July really held my progress back. Tomorrow I plan to give level 3 a try.
- Day 28 - Level 3 baby! I feel like I've accomplished a lot now that I made it through the entire level 3 30DS workout. When she introduced some of the moves I thought she was insane and that I needed to go back to level 2, but to my surprise I tried them and could do them...even the jumping jacks with hand weights (I kid you not)!
- Day 29 - Ok, I'm loving level 3. It's a serious workout. The moves make me feel like an athlete.
- Day 30 - Half way through the Shred, my workouts seemed to drag. I had days where I was starting to despise Jillian Michaels, but I stuck with it and am amazed at how strong and fit I feel.
Jillian Michaels Protein Shake - Makes a great, high protein snack
In addition to doing the 30 Day Shred, I also drank one Jillian Michaels whey protein shake daily for a snack. I eat breakfast, wait for it to digest a bit, do the 30DS video, then drink a Jillian Michaels protein shake made with milk. It tastes pretty good and keeps me from snacking on junk. It keeps me satisfied until lunch time.
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred - Buy the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video for less than $10!
The 30 Shred video includes 3 individual workout that are 20 minutes each. Each workout increases in intensity. Jillian recommends that everyone start with level 1 and then progress to level 2 and then later level 3 when you feel you are ready for the next challenge. She admits that going up to the next level will be different for every body. But if you're interested in taking the basic Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred challenge, here is what it looks like:
DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 3 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 5 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 6 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 7 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 10 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 11- 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 12 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 13 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 14 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 17- 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 19- 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 20 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 2
DAY 21 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 23- 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 24 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 25 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 26 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 27 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 28 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 29- 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
DAY 30 - 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 3
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Preview - Watch clips from all 3 levels of the 30 Day Shred
Winsor Pilates - The Winsore Pilates workout I'm doing
I like to do pilates to keep my muscles from getting tight and to increase my flexibility. This is the pilates workout I do on days off and on days that my muscles are feeling particularly tight.
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Slimdown Workout Schedule
A workout routine designed for maximum results
If you're serious about getting fit and totally changing your body, then you will love this Jillian Michaels 30 Day Slimdown plan created by the nonsense personal trainer herself. It is designed to yield maximum results for slimming, trimming, and toning all over. This routine provides just enough variety to prevent plateauing. This slim down workout schedule uses three Jillian Michaels workout videos: 1) 30 Day Shred, 2) Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and 3) No More Trouble Zones. The "Quick Trouble Zones" workout is simply "No More Trouble Zones" minus the floor work.
DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
**OFF** Day 7
DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
**OFF** Day 14
DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
**OFF** Day 21
DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
**OFF** Day 26
DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
What you will need to complete the 30 Day Slimdown Challenge:
Don't Watch the Scale!
The 30 Day Shred will change your body. If done regularly (4 to 6 days a week), you will slim down and tone up. However, you may only lose a few pounds, or may find you lose none at all. This is because the strength training is so intense that you will build muscle fast. Muscle weighs more than fat. But remember, building muscle aids in weight loss because muscle mass helps burn calories.
My Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Review
My personal review of the 30 Day Shred workout
I know all the excuses to being flabby and out of shape because I've used them all myself. I'm in my 30's (or maybe you're in your 40's). I've had 3 babies back to back. I had 3 c-sections. I'm just a stay at home mom. I don't have time to exercise. I'm in too bad of shape to do any heavy exercising.
Is all of this sounding familiar? That's why I'm writing this page. To encourage women just like me to get fit. If you're a mom and are making excuses to avoid trimming down and getting healthy, then do it for your kids. Our kids need us to be healthy, energetic, and happy (did you know exercising is a natural mood booster?). So, unless your doctor says you aren't healthy enough for vigorous exercise you CAN do the 30 Day Shred because I can. The first day was tough, I'm not going to lie. I about died when I saw Jillian put jumping jacks in the warm up....the WARM UP! But now I can breeze through the jumping jacks. Thanks Jillian!
I'm just a normal, every day stay at home mom to three little ones. I chose this picture of me to share to show you how I'm just an average person. I'm not special or athletic. I'm 35 years old, so I'm no spring chicken. I can't do a full sit up due to having my abdominal muscles separated in 3 separate c-section deliveries. But I CAN do the 30 Day Shred, including the ab exercises. I do ache some, I am 35 and do notice I'm not as flexible and my joints hurt more than they did when I was 30. But it isn't anything I can't work through. So far, I feel the endurance and energy boost I'm getting from the 30 Day Shred far outweighs the aches and pains I'm feeling (normal aches, no injuries mind you).
What I love about the 30 Day Shred is that the moves are simple. I'm very uncoordinated and have a super hard time doing a standard aerobic workout with a smiley, bouncey aerobic instructor. When they go left, I go right and I never can seem to get my arms and legs to work the way they do. But the 30 DS has no complex choreography. Yay! I also love Jillian. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to have her tell me the truth during my workout instead of being overly perky and acting like life is just peachy (like on most workout videos). I love that she tells me that if I want to do a 20 minute workout that get results I'm going to have to work for it. She says that if you want your body to change you have to put stress on it, which is so true. Also, when the workout gets really hard she'll say, "Hang in there. You're almost done. Just 5 more seconds. 5-4-3-2-1." That helps me through every time.
I've done many different types of workout videos in my life and this one is by far my favorite for three main reasons:
It gets real results. I noticed a difference in just 5 days.The choreography is simple, but effective.Jillian makes me believe in myself.
I feel it's only fair though to tell you that this workout is not easy. If you are in bad shape, like I was, it will take a strong will and desire to change to see it through the first 3 workouts. Also, if you really want to change your body, you need to do this workout a minimum of 3 times a week. But the truth is, ladies, our hormones makes it more difficult for us to get results from exercise than it does men, so for us it really is best to workout 4 to 5 days a week. On the bright side, each workout is only 20 minutes. Surely you can set aside 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week to improve yourself. I've never known anybody that regretted spending time exercising, but I've known a lot that regretted their time as couch potatoes.
If you've tried the 30 day shred, please share your personal results. Though all comments will be monitored before publishing, I do not strip html, so if you have some before and after photos you'd like to share, please do.
Have You Tried the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred? - Thank you for visiting
Wendy Leanne (author) from Texas on July 11, 2013:
@anonymous: Muscle is more dense than fat. A 5 pound chunk of muscles is way smaller than a 5 pound chunk of fat. This is why some people will lose inches and look trimmer with good nutrition and exercise, but may not lose actual weight.
anonymous on April 26, 2013:
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.
anonymous on November 12, 2012:
My situation is nothing like yours (no kids, for one), but I really enjoyed your detailed review, and appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing your experiences and results with the world! Hope you're still going strong!
anonymous on October 08, 2012:
this post is really helpful, especially since i am in similar situation as far as the body is concerned(height, weight). The 30 day journal with detailed explanation is highlight of this post since it states exactly what you feel after each day of work out. I am hoping to get back on the workout and hopefully i will see the difference in my body as well as my entire health. Thanks for such a realistic and yet motivational post.
M E Derby on September 20, 2012:
I love it...I'm older so it may be more like a sixty days shred, but I'm giving it my all and seeing results. Thanks for the great lens.
anonymous on August 03, 2012:
I'm just starting the 30 day shred. I started a few days ago and stopped because my calves just hurt so much. After finding your blog, now I am doing the Winsor pilates along with the shred. Thank you for a motivational post and the detailed review.
cocktailsexaminer on August 02, 2011:
I loved this workout video, my legs built up a lot of lean muscle in a short period of time. It is definitely an intense workout, but it is so worth it to tough it out.