It doesn’t take much more than common sense to realize that what you put into your body is going to have an impact on how your body looks and feels. If you eat foods that are filled with fat, cooked in grease and high on the sugar then your body is going to reflect that in its shape, size and texture. In contrast, if you consume foods that are healthy for you then your body is going to respond by looking and feeling healthier.
This is true at all levels including the level of your skin. People who want to have skin that looks young and supple and that has that healthy natural glow to it need to start by paying attention to what types of foods they are putting into their bodies. Take a look at the following twenty foods that are good for your skin and think about which ones you can easily add to your diet to get that youthful skin appearance that you desire:
1. Water. The number one thing that you can put into your body if you want great-looking skin is water. The more water you drink, the more you flush all of the other stuff out of your body and the healthier your skin is going to look.
2. Green tea. When you’re not drinking water, you should be drinking green tea. It has many, many different health benefits including benefits for the skin. You can drink it cold or warm. Avoid adding sugar or milk to it if you want the best benefits for your skin.
3. Cantaloupe. This food increases antioxidants in your body which increases your ability to absorb free radicals which in turn reduce skin problems so that you have healthier skin.
4. Tomatoes. This is another food that is rich in anti-oxidants and so will have the same skin-boosting benefits that the cantaloupe will give to you.
5. Berries. Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries are all berries that are also rich in antioxidants. Eat them alone, toss them in cereal or add them to the sides of other dishes to increase the healthiness of your skin all throughout the day.
6. Plums. There really is a long list of fruits that you can eat that are rich in antioxidants and that are therefore good for your skin.
7. Sweet potatoes. This is a vegetable alternative to the cantaloupe and tomato options that you may want to try to get those free radicals flowing healthfully throughout your body and fighting off skin problems.
8. Broccoli. This is a great vegetable that has many different health benefits which is why you’re always hearing that you should “eat your broccoli”. One of the things it contains a whole lot of is Vitamin A, a vitamin that is great at improving the turnover of cells in the skin. This means that when you eat broccoli, your skin gets renewed more quickly and the freshest (nicest looking) skin is on top where everyone you meet can see it.
9. Spinach. This food doesn’t just make you strong like Popeye. It’s also rich in the same Vitamin A properties that broccoli has so it’s good for your skin as well. You never saw Popeye looking like he had dry, aged skin did you?!
10. Carrots. If you want to get your Vitamin A but you aren’t that big of a fan of leafy green vegetables then you may want to turn to carrots to improve your skin with this vitamin.
11. Low Fat Dairy. Diary products are another really great source of Vitamin A so they can be really good for the skin. However, you want to avoid the fat that is in a lot of these foods so make sure that you look for low-fat versions of cheese and milk that are rich in Vitamin A.
12. Omega3 Rich Fish Dishes. Omega3 is that “good fat” that we’re always trying to get even though we try to avoid the “bad fat”. One of the things that the Omega3 fats do is ward off any kind of inflammation. This means they’re good for the skin. You can find these in many different fish dishes including tuna, shellfish, sardines and salmon.
13. Flax seeds. You don’t have to eat fish to get the essential fatty acids that your body needs (and that improve your skin). An alternative option is to eat flax seeds and to cook with flax seed oil.
14. Walnuts. These are yet another option that you can choose in addition to flax seeds or fish dishes if you want to improve your skin with those essential fatty acids.
15. Grapefruit. This food is really rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is great for people concerned about skin problems because it delays or reduces wrinkles.
16. Oranges. Just like with grapefruits, these are great for the skin because they are so rich in Vitamin C.
17. Brussel Sprouts. Most people think that you have to eat citrus fruits to get Vitamin C but there are a few vegetables out there that have it as well. Brussel sprouts are a good one for the skin. Peas are another option.
18. Whole wheat. Another ingredient in some foods that is really good for your skin is selenium. This is found in whole wheat cereals, breads and baked goods. This improves the skin at a cellular level and keeps you looking young and beautiful.
19. Lean red meat. Some people have poor skin because they don’t have enough iron in their diets. If you are concerned that you’re too pale or you have dark circles under your eyes then you may need more iron. Red meat is a great source for that but make sure that you’re not eating any red meat that is too high in fat.
20. Eggs. Eggs are a good iron-providing alternative for people who don’t want to eat much red meat.
Adding these foods to your diet should go a long way towards improving the healthfulness of your skin. However, it’s just as important to cut out foods from your diet as it is to add foods if you do want healthy skin. Make sure that you reduce your intake of caffeine, bad fats, salt, sugar, etc. to maximize the healthy benefits that your skin is getting from the intake of these other good foods!
Sarah Forester from Australia on February 24, 2014:
I'm always trying to increase my water intake, I'm going to need to focus on some of the others as well.
Subhas from New Delhi, India on July 10, 2013:
Hi Kathryn Vercillo! This is really a gem of an article one would love to read and comply with.
vibesites from United States on July 10, 2013:
Thanks for a wonderful health information. For most of days I drink water much to keep my skin clear. Fortunately, I eat almost all of the foods you recommend. Thanks for posting! Up, useful and shared. :)
siddharth on March 06, 2013:
Thanks for this sharing with us !!!!!!
Salam Perumanna on February 22, 2013:
Thanks for sharing this is really useful! I vote it up! :)
Kari on January 12, 2013:
Every night I scramble up 2 organic eggs with spinach in them & eat them with a side of sliced tomato! So yummy & healthy!
mjhilado on November 08, 2012:
Thanks! Your article helps me a lot.
meegs supergirl on October 02, 2012:
Great article, when you look after yourself, feeling great just naturally follows :)
greeneryday from Some tropical country on September 25, 2012:
Very informative hub and useful list of foods that help to enhance your skin looks, thanks for sharing..
KellyMediaBest from Tampa, Florida on August 14, 2012:
Stress has always been the major factor in my breakouts and how my skin looks but I do try to drink a lot of water to keep it clear, and it does work! Also, I like that you included cantaloupe to this list. Every type of melon is chalk full of antioxidants and many other vitamins and minerals that are great for your skin and overall health. My favorite is watermelon.
cityalice on June 16, 2012:
This is a great list. Water is definitely the most important to keep your skin healthy, and I love fish. I see that most of the list is vegetables and fruits which make perfect sense.
rabia from afghanistan 16 years old in 11 class at shamal public girls high school on June 08, 2012:
yeah! friends its really true that water is so much essential for our skin. my dear friend every morning when you wake up from your beautiful and cute cute dreams drink 6 glass water
then pray for me
thanks bye me rabia
deepa on May 25, 2012:
too good article
billy on May 23, 2012:
this is garbage....doesn't even include avocado
Thanks! on May 22, 2012:
Thanks for the help!
Rita on May 13, 2012:
Thank u for this information i use most of them, is real good
Cathleena Beams from Tennessee on May 13, 2012:
Great hub - Let me know that I am doing some things right. Blueberries for breakfast, drinking green tea, eating broccoli, tomatoes and carrots. Good to have the reminders though that I need to add some more of the ingredients you recommended, number one being to drink more water. This is an area I find myself slacking off on. I found you through success stories. Congratulations on doing what you do well and sharing your tips and techniques with others here on Hubpages. This is a fabulous healthy eating hub. Voting up and awesome!
Angela Michelle Schultz from United States on May 10, 2012:
Well, looks like I'm eating the right foods, just still have bad skin. Maybe I need to avoid the other kind of food. Now I need an article, foods to avoid.
hi friend from India on April 19, 2012:
Nice and informative hub
Lisa on April 15, 2012:
eating foods like these really does make a difference! great hub :)
Mike on April 14, 2012:
Kelly Kline Burnett from Fontana, WI on April 11, 2012:
The last one surprised me - it shouldn't have given the vitamins in the eggs. Great post.
Gabriellajose on April 09, 2012:
This is Gabriella,
I went through your blog site while surfing in Google, I am very much impressed with your site's unique information's, and We are pleased to inform you that we do write articles for such unique sites without cost.
Article are sure for its unusual quality to invite traffic to your website. We provide relevant articles based on the topics suggested for your site
No duplication or copying of the article is done. we write contents exclusively for your site on demand. It may result to the increase
the traffic to your site.
In return we expect a link connecting to our website from your webpage.
Awaiting for your positive reply.
Feel free to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Miranda on April 01, 2012:
Great info, but just one thing to mention - you should not cook with Flax seed oil. It's a very sensitive fat that will change when heated and turn into a harmful one.
regen on March 29, 2012:
hope it is good
sammythrone from North America/South America/Europe/Asia on March 28, 2012:
Water is so important for health and radiant skin, and yet most people still find it hard to drink plenty of it daily. I'm sure if everyone trade in their carbonated drinks for water, they will be glowing from head to toes.
stella on March 27, 2012:
really my skin is glowing its good etonmet food
to go with know m
Tyler on March 26, 2012:
Honey and lemon juice is also a great way to get that glowing spot free skin.
TotalHealth from Hermosa Beach, CA on March 13, 2012:
Great hub! Definitely drinks lots of water and eat plenty of fruit rich in antioxidants!!
John Cena on March 11, 2012:
all these would take time to work out, but still i'll try it!!
Maria Babar on February 29, 2012:
Very informative - for a younger look
neetu on February 20, 2012:
true grt n cooooll,,,
parthi on February 14, 2012:
thanq yo .......ill try
Merona on February 07, 2012:
Thank you! Sharing Is Cring :-) Cucumbers, Oysters, Mushrooms and Avocados Are Also Very Good For Skin.
gaurav on February 04, 2012:
m gonna try dis...n thank q..:D
CoCoglam on January 31, 2012:
I totally agree with the first person that commented we would all be a healthier and more attractive people
kelleyward on January 28, 2012:
Great hub. After I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes I have eaten much better and my skin reflects it. I love all these foods you mentioned. Thanks~
aestheticlinicSG from Singapore on January 26, 2012:
Sometimes skin rejuvenation only needs the simple act of sleeping in order for your cells to regenerate. Little to no rest can be a stress to your body, and this releases chemicals or toxins that cause oxidation. This is definitely one thing that can age your cells faster which results to your skin looking tired and dull. However, if you want instant solution, you are free to visit aesthetic clinics for consultation, http://www.hairandlaserclinic.com/aesthetics.htm , it pays to asked the right person for skin problems.
ME on January 18, 2012:
O I WILL TRY IT
Hema on January 17, 2012:
Egg...do I have to eat yellow part as well..??
fitness_freak on January 17, 2012:
I heard building up a good sweat during workouts helps a lot too !
carahoyler on January 13, 2012:
Brilliant post! I have been a vegetarian for 17 years and these are the foods I eat (with the exception of number 19). I don’t claim to have the best skin ever, but I am proof that if you eat well, you feel well, and therefore are well. You’re post was very insightful and I’m so glad you shared it.
Anne on January 12, 2012:
Great help esp.to those pregnant women. .thnk u hub. .God bless!
sheena on January 08, 2012:
thanks for the info.. :)
Phoebe Pike on December 28, 2011:
And I thought I naturally had good skin... but I do eat most of the foods on this list so maybe not! ^_^
mortgage-news from Los Angeles, CA on December 21, 2011:
I am surprised that cucumber did not make the top 20. How did cucumber get elimiated? that was a bit of an updet.
johncimble from Bangkok on December 18, 2011:
victoria from Hamilton On. on November 30, 2011:
I do these foods most of the time.But thanks for the reminder.We always need reminders of what we know.
With good foods like these and some exercise,our bodies should be able to maintain our good spirits.
Prasanth on November 17, 2011:
It is very good list but one Giant fruit is missed in this list. " THE APPLE " It is also good for skin .
Aceblogs from India on October 19, 2011:
Well thanks a for very informative hub i would say , also i want to suggest few things which i know is not good for a healthy skin , eating too much of chicken , dry fruits and chocolates is not at all good
Naren on October 16, 2011:
Thanks a lot
Ployie from Bangkok,Thailand on October 15, 2011:
Thanks for sharing this is really useful! I vote it up! :)
Dr Rockpile from USA on October 10, 2011:
Thanks for the list! And I now have a craving for fruit. ;)
Asahda Shavaja Poet of the New Age from New York City on October 07, 2011:
great info. Thanks.
avilashbehera from Pune, iNDIA on September 23, 2011:
This is so useful for me. I can use some of these tips at my spa http://www.spatouche.in
Stephanie Das from Miami, US on September 19, 2011:
Voted up and useful--Great information. All you have to do is eat for your skin, and the rest of your body will benefit. Skin really is a mirror of your health.
naturalsolutions on September 18, 2011:
I do believe that by just drinking a lot of water everyday you will able to get the health that you want. Drinking 10 to 15 glass of water a day is the best.
drspaniel from Somewhere, where the sun shines once a year... on September 17, 2011:
Great advice especially since in this day and age, more and more people are feasting on McDonald's instead of fruit and vegetables!
SHEETAL on September 07, 2011:
Whatever the food eaten was given in will follow it and i think so the result should be well and good.thanks for the details.
selfdefenselesson on August 24, 2011:
Awesome stuff. It pretty much confirms that by eating healthy food, you'll do your entire body wonders. Not just your skin.
Chris on August 16, 2011:
....nothing about soy beans, soy milk, honey,other kinds of nuts, rooibos tea and so on. I guess it serves as a guide only.
elliegoulding on August 15, 2011:
So basically you can't eat a bunch of junk food?! Laugh out loud! Great hub
Andrew0208 from Zion on August 10, 2011:
Great! I just love this article, very informative. Thank you.
cowtowngirl77 on August 09, 2011:
I have recently changed my eating habits to get healthier and this is very informative.
Ravi Singh from India on August 08, 2011:
Nice info.I too insist on taking more green vegetables and fruits.It very difficult for me to get low fat dairy.specially butter and milk.
Venture Boyz from Floating in the clouds on July 27, 2011:
Excellent hub. Thank you for spreading awareness Kathryn. When I once asked a dermatologist what foods to avoid to make sure I don't break out they responded that you should be more focused on foods that are good for your skin than foods that are bad for your skin. Make sense? Thanks so much for sharing this list of foods that are good for my skin.
fashion on July 27, 2011:
Fantastic article.An excellent resource of information.All foods are always the best choice.
askjanbrass from St. Louis, MO on July 20, 2011:
Thanks for this, really useful Hub!
Freegoldman from Newyork on July 19, 2011:
I never thought that one can have an idea of making a hub of such a topic.Awesome work.Banana can be another option.Voted U up.Jst loved it.
heavenrooms on July 11, 2011:
Great Hub! it's so useful, thanks :)
maxine on July 08, 2011:
yes very informative
MaxFueled from , Fort Worth, Texas on July 05, 2011:
This is an excellent resource of information! Whole foods are always the best choice.
danfresnourban from Fresno, CA on July 03, 2011:
This is an excellent article. The information is useful and the presentation is wonderful. The picture suggest a bountiful tray of healthy and great tasting food. Thank you for spending time to create this hub.
Nancy McClintock from Southeast USA on June 30, 2011:
Great article Thanks
carolinemoon on June 28, 2011:
I am now having water therapy for my UTI. Fortunately, I feel better now.
*Swetha* on June 27, 2011:
Wow really great to have such a helpful information.
health screening singapore on June 23, 2011:
i got this skin rashes and i dont know what exactly is this. i search for characteristic for psoriasis. it somehow same but not really same. hope to get the best advices here :). i really missed to live normal.
fit2day on June 22, 2011:
I'm glad you put water as number one, I used to never drink water and my lips stayed dry and cracked. I thought she was wrong, but now I drink it all the time and rarely have problems
madlopez22 from Pooler GA on May 28, 2011:
Its good to know which foods are best!
GrantGMcgowan on May 24, 2011:
Glad to find this hub. Very nice and healthy blog.
JMAW from Hawaii on May 16, 2011:
Thx for sharing. I selected awesome. I had very horrible eczema and through diligent self-work and eating less meat and more nutritiously I no longer have it. This hub will surely help some people out I am sure.
jamiesweeney from Philadelphia, PA on May 13, 2011:
Good for our health, Thanks for sharing.
leeroper from UK on May 11, 2011:
This advice isn’t just for skin, it’s a good hub for general healthy eating. Popeye he knew what he was doing, excellent write up thanks.
Elrascal on May 10, 2011:
Thanks for a great hub. I have only just started eating brussel sprouts again. As a kid I hated them. As I grew up I never thought to try them again. I had them about a month ago and I can safely say that I now love them
Tom989 from Philadelphia, PA on April 22, 2011:
Great list...I need to eat more fruit myself.
The Jet from The Bay on April 07, 2011:
Here's me eating more grapefruits and eggs. Cool hub.
ChristineVianello from Philadelphia on March 29, 2011:
Everything except the fish sounds great!
munirahmadmughal on March 22, 2011:
"20 Foods That are Great for your Skin"
The hub is comprehensive and up by all standards.
Human beings are made of body and soul. Twenty Foods for beauty and health of body prescribed by Kathryn have each a food for thought as well. The One who created these twenty and many and multiple foods with many and multiple advantages is also to be remembered to keep the soul healthy and handsome. Faith, truth, cooperation, honesty, spending what ones capacity is to spend upon the deprived persons, love, kindness, mercy, thanksgiving and appreciation of all welfare behaviour, imparting awareness and education whereby rights of the human beings are protected and on time paid, avoiding all sorts of backbiting, rancour, caprice, harshness, taunt, abuse, hurting feelings of others, causing any sort of harm or doing any act whereby the dignity of mankind is damaged are, among other things, a few recipe for the soul. To behave this way shines the internal and attracts the fellow beings towards the right direction of human character.
May God bless all.
Linda Tadlock from Atlanta on March 08, 2011:
Kathryn, thank you for these useful tips. I love reading articles on beauty and health.
JLClose from OreGONE on February 16, 2011:
Sounds like the food pyramid people are right: Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies!
jerrycorinadam from United State on February 15, 2011:
I have been using these foods in the past but did not realize their skin boosting advantages earlier.
TroyM on February 13, 2011:
And yes, I myself had observed effect of Green tea.
st lucia for sale from St Lucia on February 12, 2011:
Don't forget about Cabbage! Healthy and high in vitamin E, so good for the skin :)
Ankush Kohli from India on February 09, 2011:
I'm always fond of health related info. Good hub, also thinking of writing health related hubs.
Eczema in Babies on February 01, 2011:
a big thumbs up from me on this hub, seriously really useful and helpful advice! I love seeing how different foods affect my overall wellbeing and my skin is the biggest indicator. Thanks again, voted!
Active Nutrition from Sammamish, WA on January 31, 2011:
Great hub. Keep spreading the word that healthy foods taste great.
Melanie Palen from Midwest, USA on January 27, 2011:
I'll have to try more of these foods. I LOVE sweet potatoes and they have so many health benefits, I should eat more!
gsharadasheker from Zaheerabad on January 24, 2011:
This is Intresting
deepakkumaarr on January 19, 2011:
This is Yamee ......
JohnBarret on January 12, 2011:
What a mouth watering article.