At age 16 I was a volunteer at a hospital bacteriology lab. I became a chemist for U.S. government. Then I studied health & related fields.
Picture of Coffee and Coffee Beans
Coffee Health Benefits
Coffee has many health benefits like preventing cavities, preventing cancer, preventing diabetes, preventing constipation, preventing Parkinson's disease, preventing Alzheimer's disease and more. Although sugar and milk or cream are very unhealthy for you.
To sweeten coffee you can use stevia, raw honey or raw agave, You can use coconut, soy, almond, rice or hemp milk. Humans are meant to drink milk from humans when they are babies and are supposed to get it by sucking on a breast just like all other mammals. People with a sensitivity to caffeine may need to avoid coffee. This was written October 17, 2012.
As far as us drinking milk from animals, the U.S.D.A. says that goat's milk is the healthiest milk. More people in the world drink goat's milk than cow's milk. I am just showing off my knowledge of food.
To dramatically increase the benefits of drinking coffee you can buy the chocolate (cacao) flavored coffee beans. Chocolate is very high in antioxidants and is one of the best foods for reducing high blood pressure or hypertension and is great for cardiovascular health. To learn more about this see: Great Foods That Lower High Blood Pressure.
1. Coffee is the No. 1 Source of Antioxidants according to webmd.com. It says:
Americans get more antioxidants from coffee than any other food or beverage.
"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source. Nothing else comes close," says researcher Joe Vinson, PhD, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in a news release.
Antioxidants are found naturally in many foods and beverages and are thought to provide health benefits in preventing diseases such as heart disease and cancer by fighting cellular damage caused by free radicals in the body. Free radicals are damaging substances that are produced through normal bodily processes.
2. Drinking Coffee Prevents Cavities: The link under the picture tells more about this. Coffee contains a compound or substance called trigonelline. This is responsible for coffee’s flavor and scent and acts as an antibacterial to protect from harmful cavity-causing germs.
3. Coffee Helps Prevent Constipation: Coffee is a mild laxative. There are natural foods like the herbs senna and cascara sagrada, that are strong laxatives and can cause intestinal cramping if excess is taken. The reason that coffee is a laxative is because it encourages peristalsis. This is the natural contraction of the colon or large intestine. For more on this and other health benefits of of drinking coffee, see Wikipedia's Health Effects of Coffee.
4. Drinking Coffee Helps Protect You From Cirrhosis of the Liver and Liver Cancer: Wikipedia has a complex medical explanation on how this works. In the Western part of the world the heart is considered the most important organ. Many places in the East regard the liver as the most important organ. One of its many jobs is to keep poisons from entering the body from the digestive tract. If there is too much poison ingested, then the person dies from liver failure.
5. Coffee Prevents Gallstones and Gallbladder Disease: The liver produces bile that helps digestion and assimilation of the food. The body recycles the bile that is left over and it is stored in the gallbladder.
6. Coffee acts a natural diuretic: This requires some explanation due to the many health myths that are out there. There are chemical or drug diuretics that can and have caused death by dehydrating a person. The natural food diuretics do not do this.
When people consume salt and have an excess of sodium, the body needs to hold on to a lot more water to keep the sodium concentration at a normal level. Natural food diuretics help the body to get rid of excess sodium so the body can then dump the excess water weight that makes you look 'fatter' and weigh more. After that the body does not keep getting rid of water to make you dehydrated. This is similar with tea.
It is not like if someone consumes a lot of tea or coffee for days they will get dehydrated and die. Tea and coffee are mostly water. There is one substance that you can put in water so that if you drink it, it will make you more and more dehydrated until you die. That is salt (from the sodium in it) and explains why you cannot drink ocean water or seawater if you are dying from dehydration. For more on this see Losing Weight: Can Salt Make You Overweight.
7. Coffee Can Help You Live Longer: Wikipedia says:
A May 2012 study by the New England Journal of Medicine found that, during the course of their study, coffee drinkers "who drank at least two or three cups a day were about 10 percent or 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study."
8. Coffee May Lower Your Risk of Getting Breast Cancer: The most powerful way to prevent breast cancer is to make sure that you are getting enough vitamin D. See How Much Vitamin D Should You Take Daily.
9. Coffee is an Alkaline Food: This is according to the biochemist who originally came up with the acid or alkaline binding foods and the alkaline or acid binding foods. The other coffee article has a link to the chart of Ragnar Berg. It shows that green tea is the most alkaline food.
10. Coffee Lowers Your Chance of Getting Diabetes: This is referring to type 2 diabetes.
11. Coffee Reduces Your Chance of Getting Parkinson's Disease by 25%: Wikipedia mentions 2 different studies showing this.
12. Coffee Increases Cognitive Performance: It also increases short term recall.
13. Coffee Was Shown to Lower Risk of Depression in Women: Wikipedia makes no mention of this.
14. Coffee is a Great Source of Potassium: This is why I started drinking coffee today-- to get more potassium. It is not really the excess of sodium, from salt, that is bad for you. It is the low ratio of potassium to sodium in your body. See Main Cause of High Blood Pressure or Hypertension for an in depth explanation of this.
15. Drinking Coffee Helps Protect You from Alzheimer's Disease: This is very hard on the person that has it and also on his/hers friends and relatives.
16. Coffee Lowers Your Chances of Getting Skin Cancer: It can be lowered by 20%.
17. Coffee-- 30% less Chance of Men Getting Prostate Cancer: This is the number one cancer among men.
Dr. Oz is promoting a supplement of the unroasted coffee bean called green coffee bean. It can help to lower weight. Green coffee has a lot of chlorogenic acid that can help you lose weight. Yerba mate tea (the national drink of Argentina and very popular in South America) also contains a lot of chlorogenic acid. See Health Benefits of Yerba Mate Tea.
Here is Fact Sheet: Green Coffee Bean on Dr. Oz's website. It says:
Coffee is a notable source of caffeine. However, coffee’s effects on glycemic control and weight loss have been attributed to its other components, including chlorogenic acid, quinides, lignans, and trigonelline, all of which have been shown to improve glucose metabolism in animal studies.
Chlorogenic acid has specifically been shown to inhibit an enzyme, glucose-6-phosphatase, that promotes the formation of glucose (sugar) in the liver. Hence, chlorogenic acid in coffee may be responsible, at least in part, for the reduced risk of glycemic disorders, like diabetes, with long-term coffee consumption.
Green Coffee Bean Book
Coffee: New Health Benefits with primary care physician Dr. Alanna Levine
Coffee: Health Benefits and Risks You Might Not Know!
Organic Coffee and Green Coffee Bean
Lin da on May 04, 2014:
Curiad on October 17, 2012:
Well I get all seventeen benefits I guess because I love my coffee!
Christy Birmingham from British Columbia, Canada on October 17, 2012:
Very good hub Chuck. I drink tea but do know many people who are regular coffee drinkers. Nice to see that in moderation the drink does have benefits. I will share over on Twitter as well.
ALUR from USA on October 17, 2012:
Thanks for good informative article. I def am a coffee fiend but tea is also a good antioxidant. I suppose any of these sugg in moderation is a healthy way to live.