Jenny is a girl who loves many things. She loves street foods, traveling, nature, music, cats, and dogs! She's crazy about purple & writing!
Have you ever wondered why none of the dietary programs you have tried really worked well for you? Do you still add on weight despite all your hard work in keeping yourself fit? Do you easily feel stressed out with simple things? If your answer is yes to all these questions, then you have failed to address the real root cause of the problem…Hormonal imbalance.
Here are some questions that you need to ask yourself first to help determine if you have imbalanced hormones or not:
- Do you usually feel a strong urge to eat sweets or carbs at 3pm?
- Do you find it difficult to get yourself out of bed in the morning?
- Do you easily get irritated even by simple things?
- Do have mood swings?
- Do you experience pre-menstrual syndrome every month?
- Do you have trouble getting a good night’s sleep?
- Is your skin dull and dry?
- Do you have a belly fat that you can’t seem to get rid of no matter what you do?
- Do you always feel bloated after every meal?
If your answer is yes to all of these questions, then your hormone levels are not balanced.
How Can I Reset My Hormones?
Every multi-cellular organism produces biochemicals that coordinate the way the body and the mind behave. These biochemicals are known as hormones. They play a crucial role in the human metabolism. They affect the way we energize ourselves, how we deal with stress, how we collect and store fat and maintain muscle. These hormones also play a role in our sexual functions. They help regulate sleep and they control our cravings. When there’s a disruption of the digestive process, or when we eat something that irritates the digestive tract, the brain signals the stress hormone, Cortisol to take charge. We then crave for comfort foods and sweets as the body’s defense against stress. If we fail to regulate the hormone levels, even with regular exercise, we will still accumulate unwanted fats.
The easiest and the most effective method to balance hormones is to reset them. This way, we ensure a healthy and stress-free life. In the book The Supercharged Hormone Diet, Dr. Natasha Turner explains how we can enhance our lifestyle and facilitate weight loss naturally through lifestyle changes and proper diet.
The fundamental principle of resetting your hormones is to ensure that your mind and body will be coordinated properly to allow healthy cell metabolism which will then result to weight loss and healthy life style. The hormone reset diet dictates that in a period of three days, there will be specific changes to your dietary program. In order to reset your estrogen hormones, gut bacteria and liver, you need to eliminate alcohol and meat in your diet. Every three days specific foods that wreck your metabolism need to be replaced with healthier alternatives to reset the imbalanced hormones in the body. Once the hormones are reset, your mind and body will begin to function in harmony and you’ll start to truly feel good about yourself.
Only three days?
Well, the minimum time allowed for a metabolic hormone reset is three days however in some cases five days reset is allowed especially for people who shouldn’t have immediate dietary changes. But three days is the ideal amount of time because it completes the cycle of resetting the seven metabolic hormones in 21 days.
Detoxify Before Resetting Hormones
Just like how we start cleaning the house before we arrange and organize furniture, our body needs to be cleansed first before resetting the hormones. We need to start the hormone reset by flushing out toxins from the body. There are certain food products that may irritate the digestive tract and this often causes hormonal imbalance. Consequently, food cravings are encouraged by the brain because the metabolism slows down as a result of the inflammation. As this happens regularly, your body starts to accumulate fat and store them away where you cannot eliminate them easily.
In order to detoxify your body, you need to eat foods that can stop digestive tract inflammation. Here are some foods to avoid:
- Foods that cause allergic reaction like seafood, poultry, dairy products, and any food that may irritate your gums, throat, or tongue even on a mild level.
- Foods that have high levels of glycemic index as they contain high sugar and calories which increases cravings. These are white foods like pasta, noodles, processed food products, white bread, white rice, and soda.
Foods to eat:
- To keep hormones balanced, foods that contain low glycemic index are recommended.
- High-fiber foods such as artichokes, oatmeal, bananas, raisins, nuts, and beans (whole grains) are very helpful in the prevention of digestive tract irritation.
- Water is a very important factor in detox. Always drink at least 8 glasses of water on a daily basis to facilitate detox and boost metabolism.
How Does the Hormone Reset Diet Work?
The goal of the hormone reset diet is to synchronize the seven hormones of metabolism: estrogen, insulin, leptin, Cortisol, thyroid hormones, serotonin, and testosterone. Here is an overview of the hormone reset (every three days).
- No meat and alcohol: Whether you are a meat eater or not, this reset is important to everyone. Eliminating alcohol and red meat in your diet resets your estrogen levels in the body.
- No sugar: After three days of not eating red meat and no alcohol, eliminate or in some cases, reduce sugar in your food intake to reset your insulin hormone and eradicate sugar cravings.
- Less Fruits: After another three days reset leptin hormone by not eating fruits for three days.
- No Caffeine: After another three days, abstain from caffeine. It increases cortisol in the bloodstream. Eliminating caffeine resets cortisol levels and reduces your susceptibility to stress.
- No Grains: Not eating grains for the following three days resets your thyroid hormones which are essential in controlling and resetting leptin and insulin levels.
- No dairy products: Resets growth hormones and improves insulin.
- No toxins: Detoxifying resets testosterone levels which aids in proper reset of insulin, thyroid hormones, estrogen, and leptin.
After 21 days, you will notice that your metabolism has transformed you from within. You will feel better than you have ever felt before. You will no longer have to constantly battle weight gain and stress and you will have better sleep, and more importantly, you’ll have better sex with your partner.
Hormone Diet = Glyci-Med
Fruits that are low on sugar
Lean protein like chicken breast and eggs
Foods with high GI like white bread and pasta
Full fat dairy products
Unsaturated fats and oil like canola
Whole grains like buckwheat and brown rice
Is This Diet Effective for Weight Loss?
Yes. This dietary plan consists of foods that are low in calories. Other positive effects of the Glyci-Med diet according to practitioner testimonies are:
- Better sleep patterns
- Healthy and glowing skin
- Healthier and vibrant hair
- Reduced stress
- Better sex with their partner
In general this diet offers results and benefits to help address heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes.
It is never easy to drastically change your eating patterns and habits. The hormone diet limits a lot of the foods a person can eat. You will be required to quit sugar, alcohol, caffeine, most oils, gluten, and dairy for 2-3 weeks. This may cause problems to some people especially those who have a habit of taking these foods at frequent intervals on a daily basis.
It is important to track your body’s pH balance during the first stage of this diet. A series of tests, of the saliva, urine, and blood will tell you your hormone levels.
Finally, supplements like calcium, vitamin D3, magnesium, Omega 3, and multivitamins are recommended during this diet.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2016 Jennifer Gonzales