I have been an athlete or sports coach most of my life. I hope to provide some ideas and insights based on my own life experiences.
Most people have a couple of extra pounds that they would like to lose, but a whole diet regime seems a little much. Don't worry, you just need to add a couple of these easy no-diet tricks and you will drop those extra few pounds and be healthier as well.
1. Eat Breakfast - If you are skipping breakfast, thinking you will cut out a few calories, this is a big mistake. When you skip breakfast you will be more likely to overeat by lunch. Also, skipping breakfast will slow down your metabolism and make losing weight even harder! So enjoy a healthy breakfast choice and start your day off right.
2. Morning Workout - Get that workout in early and you will find you have more energy. Exercising early will ramp up that metabolism. Studies have also shown that people who exercise in the morning are less tempted by unhealthy snack choices during the day. An extra benefit is that you will have more time after work to enjoy and are less likely to skip your workout.
3. Keep a full bowl of fruit handy - People are more likely to choose a healthy snack when it is visible and easily available. By keeping a bowl of fruit on the counter you will be less tempted to hit the fridge or cupboards to find a snack!
4. Measure your food - Most people eat more than they realize and by measuring your food portions you won't overdo or overeat. This is a really easy trick to incorporate and you might be surprised at what portion sizes are supposed to be for a food!
5. Stock up on long-lasting vegetables - If you have plenty of vegetables readily available you will be likely to eat them. Vegetables such as peppers, carrots, cabbage and squash all last a week or more. To save a little money and have more variety make sure you have lots of frozen vegetable options to make meal time fast and healthy.
6. Eat unlimited vegetables - This is an easy trick to keep you feeling full. Vegetables are healthy and taste great as well as keeping you feel full and not deprived. Just don't add to much dressing or dip!
7. Drink tea - Adding tea to your daily routine can help you lose weight, especially green tea. Green tea contains ECGC which is an antioxidative compound that has been shown to help kick your metabolism into a higher gear and help your exercise routines be more effective.
8. Drink coffee - Another drink to help you lose weight is coffee. That is very good news to most people just don't add a bunch of creamers and sweeteners with all those calories and fat. A study published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that consuming coffee can actually help you burn calories by an extra 12%!
9. Eat protein - There are a couple of tricks in this idea. First is to eat protein in some form every meal and second is to always pair the protein with a carb or fat. When you pair the protein with a carb or fat you will feel fuller longer and more satisfied. Try to keep the carb choices to whole grain and healthy choices.
10. Eat at home - This easy trick also saves you money! When you eat out you are tempted by chips and breads on the table as well as meals that have extra calories and fat. Prepare your meals at home and enjoy then in a distraction free meal time and you will be thinner, healthier and happier.
This was just ten easy little no-diet tricks to get you going but there are plenty of others that you probably already know to do but don't always remember to do every day. Remember to drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and flush out the fat and toxins in your body. You can find a lot of great detox water ideas online but a simple option is to just add fruit to your water.
Another great tip is to make sure you use herbs and spices when you cook instead of salt this will add flavor and can even increase your metabolism. A really great flavor enhancer I enjoy is adding a little lemon juice or lemon zest to my foods to really bring out their natural flavors.
Whichever of these tips and tricks you use you will find that they are easy to add to your daily routine and not only will you lose a few pounds but you might even find yourself feeling healthier with more energy as a bonus!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Sonia Sylart from UK on May 15, 2017:
I particularly concur with what you say about keeping loads of veg on hand and I like to stock up my freezer accordingly meaning I've no excuse when I've run of the fresh stuff.