League of Legends - Tristana Guide and Build
Are you looking for a Tristana guide or a Tristana build? This page covers the basics of playing Tristana effectively including skills, runes, masteries, tips and includes custom skins.
Tristana is a long ranged AD carry with a built in escape mechanism and attack speed steroid. She packs a great utility ultimate that has the ability to protect her allies by knocking the enemy away. She is a strong farmer, lane pusher, tower destroyer and also has an incredible auto attack range thanks to her passive.
This Tristana guide and build aims to be a basic and simple introduction on basic strategy that should be adopted when playing Tristana, it is recommended for people just starting to use Tristana.
Don't own Tristana? Or want to get one of the many Tristana skins available? Learn how to get free Riot Points.
Guide current as of: Release Notes v188.8.131.52
This Tristana guide is also available in summary format (thanks to LeagueCraft.com).
Images on this page are sourced from the official League of Legends website and the game client. They are used for review, commentary and educational purposes.
Is Tristana Over Powered?
Draw A Bead (Passive) Tristana's passive gives her great auto attack range late game, helping her stay safe and use range to her advantage.
Rapid Fire (Q) This skill gives Tristana a massive attack speed bonus, allowing her to focus on other items. It is amazing at pushing towers and taking on the enemy team both in team fights and 1v1 situations.
Rocket Jump (W) This skill provides Tristana with a built in escape mechanism, it is great at chasing down a fleeing enemy or to escape, especially in the jungle. Rocket Jump also contains a slowing effect where Tristana lands and refreshes on kills or assists, allowing her to get in and out of battles with ease.
Explosive Shot (E) Explosive Shot has both a passive and active effect. It is a great farming tool for Tristana and can even harass enemy champions during the laning phase. The active effect is particularly great against healing based champions like Vladimir and Dr. Mundo or at countering an enemy carry's life-steal.
Buster Shot (Ultimate) Tristana's ultimate packs a punch, literally. It has the ability to knock away enemies and is great for saving allies or pushing an enemy back towards your team. Be very careful using this as a finishing move as if it doesn't score the kill you've just knocked the enemy away from your team.
Tristana Skill Order
The best way to level Tristana's skills is:
Ult > Rocket Jump > Rapid Fire > Explosive Shot
Rocket Jump should be taken at level 1 (to avoid early ganks or provide a strong slow for your team in a level 1 fight) and maxed first to give you strong burst capabilities early game. An early point in Explosive Shot is important as it gives Tristana an amazing early-mid game farming ability which she needs to be an effective carry, it also doubles as a strong harassment skill in lane and can prevent enemies from recovering health through potions or abilities (only 1 point is needed).
Rapid Fire should be maxed second to give you a massive mid-game attack speed boost, allowing you to focus on damage or defensive based items instead of attack speed.
Tristana Fights Fire
Red (Marks) - Armor Penetration
Yellow (Seals) - Armor
Blue (Glyphs) - Magic Resistance Per Level
Purple (Quintessences) - Attack Damage // Health
Armor Penetration on Marks and Attack Damage Quintessences helps Tristana deal massive damage to her targets and is very powerful. If you want a more defensive rune setup consider taking Health on Quintessences instead.
Armor on Seals gives Tristana some much needed defences and is combined with MR Per Level to boost your defences further.
To learn more about making effective rune choices, visit the Rune Page Guide.
Other League of Legends Pages
- Free Riot Point Giveaways - Win League of Legends Points
- League of Legends IP Guide - Tips To Get Maximum Influence Points
- League of Legends - How To Get Out Of Elo Hell (Low Elo)
- League of Legends Tips - Free Riot Points, Champions, Runes and More
- 12 Games Like League of Legends - Best MOBA Games
- The Ultimate MOBA Games List - Published By Games Like Finder
Tristana Summoner Spells
Best Summoner Spells:
Flash is a great summoner spell choice for Tristana as it provides her with a strong escape and positioning skill, which makes her very hard to kill when combined with Rocket Jump. Ignite is great to compliment to her anti-healing effects and early game burst damage to help secure kills.
Other Good Summoner Spells:
Alternative summoner spells for Tristana include Exhaust and Cleanse. Exhaust allows her to shutdown her enemy and suits a more defensive playstyle. Cleanse is also strong against crowd control heavy teams.
Tristana Masteries - Tristana as 21/0/9
An offensive based mastery tree is very strong on any AD champion and Tristana is no different. In particular the offensive tree gives armor penetration, increased damage and lifesteal which are very powerful.
Combined with the utility tree to offer mana regeneration and extra buff duration to round out your Tristana mastery setup.
To learn more about masteries and your mastery options, visit the LoL Masteries Guide.
Final Item Build:
-Open with Boots of Speed & 3 Health Potions.
-From here you'll want to grab one or two Doran's Blades, this gives you some extra health, a small damage boost and some life steal to help you stay in lane.
-Next you want to build up Berserker's Greaves and build towards a B.F. Sword.
-Now you want to build your Infinity Edge, providing you with a massive damage boost.
-Next picking up a Vampiric Scepter is not a bad idea to help you farm and clear out the forest while maintaining your health levels, if you need some survivability at this stage build your Banshee's Veil. Otherwise begin building your Bloodthirster, this gives a great life-steal boost and a powerful amount of AD.
-From here you'll want to build yourself a Last Whisper to get past the enemies armor. Also consider a Phantom Dancer to push your attack speed even higher.
-Guardian Angel (A great late game passive).
-Quicksilver Sash (Great against high magic resistance teams).
Related Champion Guides
- League of Legends - Miss Fortune Guide and Build
- League of Legends - S3 Ashe Guide and Build
- League of Legends - Sivir Guide and Build
- League of Legends - Pantheon Guide and Build (Jungle and Top)
League of Legends: Tristana Tutorial - By SolomidDOTNet
General Tristana Tips
- Always save Rocket Jump to escape, you do not want to initiate on multiple enemies with it, it is okay to use it in a 1v1 situation if you are going to score the kill as the cooldown will reset in case anybody else shows up.
- Always be sure to activate Rapid Fire when pushing towers or a team fight, it is a massive attack speed boost and allows you to bypass attack speed items mid-game.
- Don't use your ultimate to finish off enemies, save it to knock enemies away for allies or knocking them back towards the team.
- Late game Tristana has massive attack range due to her passive, use this range and your positioning to your advantage.
- Tristana has lots of interrupt and saving potential, using Buster Shot can save enemies from potential Fiddlestick, Kennen and many more ultimates.
Early Game (Level 1-6)
- Farm as much as possible, you should have no problem grabbing lots of last hits as a ranged champion.
- Use Explosive Shot to harass enemies, especially if they have just used a potion, this will reduce the amount of health they recover. You can also use this on champions like Vladimir to keep him from healing himself effectively.
- There should be no reason to use your Rocket Jump (apart from jumping to kill a low health enemy) it should always be up to enable you to escape.
- If possible time your minion last hits so that the enemy champion takes explosive damage from them.
Mid Game (Level 7-12)
- You can flank your enemies (with the help of Rocket Jump) and use your ultimate to knock them into a teammate or a friendly turret.
- Start grabbing the red lizard buff, Tristana is very powerful once this is obtained.
- If you are doing well focus on ganking the enemy and snowballing with levels and gold. If you are not doing well focus on farming and avoiding bad spots, it is easy to fall behind with Tristana very quickly (like other AD carries).
- You should be starting to activate Rapid Fire whenever attacking an enemy champion, it is a very handy attack speed boost and allows you to get more attacks on the enemy.
Late Game (Level 13-18)
- Tristana is squishy like most ranged carries, build a Banshee's Veil if required and focus on your positioning.
- Tristana is a great 1v1 champion (especially with Exhaust), don't be afraid to make use of your Lizard Buff and your long range in a 1v1 situation.
- Continue to grab red buff, it makes a big difference during the late stages of the game.
- Don't forget that Rocket Jump resets on kills or assists, you can quickly jump in kill and enemy and jump to safety if you are doing well late game. Banshee's Veil helps here as it prevents you from being stunned before you are able to jump out.
- Tristana Build Guide - Pocket Rockets v3 (Solomid)
Written by Chaox this guide is perfect for the aspiring Tristana guide.
- Tristana Build Guide - Hyper Carry Mentality (Solomid)
A great summary of playing Tristana over on Solomid and also includes a good analysis of support and lane opponent matchups.
- Mobafire: Tristana Build Guide - The Little Package of Destruction
A massively in depth guide to playing Tristana that is a great read.
Was This Tristana Build and Guide Helpful? - What Do You Think About Tristana?
biggking lm on May 28, 2012:
is this game free?
anonymous on July 18, 2011:
I think tristana is very fan to play, but in late games often she die too fast, because enemy focuss Tristana first.