Blackguards is an RPG game developed in the form of table top RPG to computer RPG. It is a turn based game. Hence, level up is very important in blackguards. This will guide the characters on how to level up.
Blackguards Level Up Guide
Blackguards Base Values
Each character is defined by their base values. These base values are -
- Courage - bravery and determination in critical situations. Strong will power and resistance to magic. Courage affects initiative, the base attack value, magic resistance and astral energy.
- Cleverness - includes intelligence and logical thinking, knowledge learned and a good memory. High cleverness increases Magic Resistance. It is used for lore talents and a large number of spells.
- Intuition - - the ability to make correct decisions quickly and without long consideration. Empathy and good sensory perception. Influences Base Parry and Ranged Combat Values, Dodging, Astral Energy and Initiative.
- Charisma - eloquence, leadership qualities and vibrancy as well as magical aura. Charisma increases Astral energy and brings advantages in dialogs.
- Dexterity - describes hand-eye combination. Influences the base ranged combat value and tests on Traps and Treating Wounds.
- Agility - includes physical mobility, body awareness, quick reactions and reflexes. Important for all Base Melee Values and Initiative. Agility also affects how many fields a character can move per turn.
- Constitution - measure of physical toughness and resistance. Constitution is the basis of a high vitality. A higher constitution value also decreases the probability of suffering a wound in combat.
- Strength - a hero's muscle power. It affects the vitality and all base combat values. In addition, it can increase damage done by the hero. The Strength values of all the heroes added together are equal to the total carrying capacity of the group in great bounds (kilograms).
- Vitality - a hero's health. If vitality is reduced to 0, the hero will go down. Unless healed by healing skills, healing potions or magic within 3 turns, the hero is then incapacitated. If all the heroes are incapacitated, the combat is lost. Vitality can be regenerated through a healer, spells and sleeping.
- Astral energy - determines a hero's magic power. Every spell uses a specific number of astral points. Astral points can be regenerated through a healer, spells and sleeping.
- Resistance to magic - determines the mental resistance against magic. Does not work against ignifaxious burst of flame or ignisphaero fireball.
Blackguards Weapon Talents
The blackguards weapon talents are listed below. Each category is rather self explanatory and can be divided into defensive values and offensive attacks.
- Sword / sabers
- Axes and maces
- Piercing weapons
- Throwing weapons
- Two handed swords
- Two handed bashing weapons
The blackguard talents are listed below -
- Body control - small chance to resist knockdown and negative environmental effects.
- Willpower - small chance to ignore wound modifiers and certain level of enchantments.
- Perception - hidden objects and certain level traps within a certain radius become visible.
- Traps - certain level traps can be disarmed.
- Streetwise - speed in urban area battles is increased, along with some perks when interaction with merchants in the area.
- Survival - speed in wilderness is increased, along with some perks when buying and carrying provision.
- Animal lore - vitality and astral energy of certain level beasts are revealed, along with their hit chance.
- Warcraft - vitality and astral energy of certain level humanoid creatures are revealed, along with their hit chance.
- Treat wounds - heals a certain number of vitality points and wounds in some creatures.
Blackguards Selection of Spells
Spells are of utmost importance in Blackguards. Level up of certain spells and the level of certain spells can lead to spells working or not working, and therefore whether the heroes survive or not. Even if spells work, the damage or power or duration caused by the spells will determine if an enemy dies or not, and whether those surviving enemies will determine the course of the combat.
- Cold shock - affected by charisma, agility and constitution, causes cold damage against single enemy
- Thunderbolt - affected by intuition, agility and constitution, fires a bolt of thunder against the single enemy.
- Witch bale - affected by courage, intuition and charisma, fires poison damage at a single enemy.
- Ignifaxius burst of flame - affected by cleverness, dexterity and constitution, fires a bolt of fire at a single enemy.
- Move as the lightning - affected by cleverness, agility and constitution, affects party and causes parry, dodge and initiative to increase.
- Hawkeye marksmanship - affected by intuition, dexterity and agility, increases one's ranged attack
- Ignisphaero fireball - affected by courage, intuition and constitution, causes fire damage to enemies in an area
- Culmination ball of lightning - affected by courage, intuition and dexterity, causes lightning damage to enemies in an area
- Wrath of the elements - affected by courage, charisma and constitution, causes bashing knockdown damage to enemies in an area
- Ecliptifactus shadow force - affected by courage, cleverness and constitution, creates the caster's shadow with all base values. However, if shadow dies, caster will lose all astral points.
- Sensattacco masterstroke - affected by cleverness, intuition and agility. Increases melee damage.
- Standfast catlike - affected by courage, intuition and charisma. Increases dodge and melee attack.
- Witch's spit - affected by intuition, charisma and dexterity. Causes HP healing and resistance to magic damage.
- Clarum Purim - affected by cleverness and charisma. Causes healing and heals poison up to certain levels.
- Magica infracta - affected by cleverness, intuition and charisma. Dispels all enchantments.
- Balm of healing - affected by cleverness, intuition and charisma. Causes healing of HP.
- Paralyze - affected by intuition, charisma and strength. Target is paralyzed but also has increased resistance to magic and immune to wounds.
- Lightning find you - affected by cleverness, intuition and agility. Weakens the enemy. Attack, parry and intuition are reduced.
- Fortifex arcane wall - affected by cleverness, constution and strength. Creates magical barrier on hexes.
- Gardianum magic shield - affected by cleverness, intuition and constitution. Creates magic shield.
- Fastness of body - affected by intuition, agility and constitution. Causes increased arm or rating.
- Duplicates double vision - affected by charisma, cleverness and agility. Hit chance is increased.
- Corpofesso aching limbs - affected by cleverness, constitution and strength. Agility is reduced.
- Karnifilo frenzy - affected by courage, intuition and charisma. Attack is increased, parry is decreased and the target becomes a berserker.
Blackguards Special Abilities Flow Chart
Blackguards Special Abilities
The special abilities in Blackguards will determine how specialized a certain character will become in melee attacks, ranged attacks or in magic. This difference will lead to less or more damage and will lead to less or more damage from afar for ranged weapons. This means enemies will have to go a larger distance to defeat the heroes. Also, the special abilities are branched, meaning that to get some of the more powerful special abilities, heroes need to invest points in less powerful abilities first. Additionally, each special ability requires the heroes to have a set number of base character points before they can acquire that special ability.
- Power blow - a heavy blow which increases the damage done. Not possible with daggers, staves and fencing weapons.
- Defensive stance- the hero forfeits the next attack and in return, receives an additional parry in the same turn.
- Feint - - a feinted blow which confuses the enemy, thus making their parry or dodge maneuver more difficult. Not possible with one handed or two handed weapons.
- Knock down - a heavy attack which can knock the victim to the ground. Not possible with daggers, staves and fencing weapons.
- Targeted stab - a targeted attack on a gap in the enemy's arm or. Causes damage and may cause one or more wounds. Only usable with fencing weapons daggers, swords, sabers or spears.
- Hammer blow - a massive blow that triples the weapons damage. However the hero who performs the attack forfeits the parry of the same turn. Only usable with axes and macrs and two handed weapons.
- Liberating blow - strikes several enemies in adjacent fields, forces them back and may even knock them to the ground. However the hero who performs this attack forfeits the parry of the same turn. Not possible with daggers, spears and fencing weapons.
- Death blow - ignores the target's arm or. In addition, this attack may cause two or more wounds. Only usable with daggers, fencing weapons or spears.
- Blade storm - the hero attacks two enemies in range simultaneously. Only usable with daggers, swords / savers and fencing weapons.
- Vigilance - the hero is better able to understand the situation on the battlefield and take up a better position than the enemy. Enemies suffer an attack of opportunity when the hero moves past them.
- Battle intuition - the hero has an intuitive feel for combat and the current situation and receives an initiative bonus and is also able to dodge attacks of opportunity more easily.
- Blade dancer - a blade dancer moves boldly through the action. He or she receives an initiative bonus and penalties to parry and dodge resulting from failed special attacks are reduced.
- Armor use 1 - the hero is accustomed to wearing heavy arm or and will no longer be encumbered by armor.
- Armor use 2 - another level of the above
- Armor use 3 - another level of the above
- Shield fighting 1 - the hero is used to fighting with a shield and receives an attack bonus of 1 as long as a shield is equipped.
- Shield fighting 2 - the hero is used to fighting with a shield and receives an attack bonus of 2 as long as a shield us equipped.
- Attack of opportunity - a hero with this talent gets a free attack on enemies who attempt to move past him or her.
- Master archer - the hero is a master of the bow or crossbow and hits targets more easily. Also attacks from a distance dies more damage.
- Targeted shot - the hero's next shot does significantly more damage.
- Triple shot - the hero fires three shots in succession at the target. Uses 3 projectiles. Only usable with bow.
- Arrow storm - fires a ball of 7 projectiles in a target area. Each projectile does normal weapon damage. Uses 7 projectiles. Only usable with bows.
- Marksman - the archer aims for a gap in the victim's arm or. This shot ignores the victim's arm or and inflicts a wound.
- Ranged spell 1 - the range of all spells increases by 1 field.
- Ranged spell 2 - the range of all spells increases by 2 fields.
- Ranged spell 3 - the range of all spells increases by 3 fields.
- Astral regeneration 1 - the hero regenerates a small number of astral points in every turn.
- Astral regeneration 2 - the hero regenerates a medium number of astral points in every turn.
- Regeneration mastery - the hero regenerates a large number of astral points in every turn.
- Aura shield - the hero is resistant to magical attacks of every kind and receive additional arm or rating against magical attacks equal to the amount of his or her magical
- Astral mastery - the spell caster is especially good at budgeting his or her astral energy. The cost of all spells us reduced by 1 (however they always cost at least 1 point)
- Steady casting - the hero has great experience in performing incantations. Spells fail significantly less often.
- Dodge 1 - the hero is skilled at dodging enemy attacks and receives a small bonus to his or her dodge value.
- Dodge 2 - improved dodge more.
- Dodge 3 - the hero has very fast reflexes and receives a large bonus to his or her dodge value.
- Battle reflexes - the hero shows lightning fast reactions in any new situation and receives an initiative bonus.
- Dual wielding 1 - the hero is able to wield 2 one handed weapons and reduces the resulting penalty.
- Dual wielding 2 - the hero gets better at dual wielding.
- Weapons master melee - the hero is a true master of melee combat, receiving bonuses on attacks and parries and also doing more damage.
Blackguards Level Up Party
The party will comprise of the main character Evelyn and two other characters Naurim and Zurbaran.
- Naurim is a fighter and can be leveled up as a melee specialist in shield and single weapon, dual wielding or two handed weapon specialist. Keep up this specialization until the hero becomes a weapons master melee.
- Zurbaran is a mage and should be leveled up to increase the power of his spells and magic special abilities. The end result should be a mage who can cast spells that are very long ranged and cause a lot of damage.
- Later, the party is joined by a ranged specialist. Level up this ranged specialist in the area of ranged attacks such as triple shot until the party is balanced with a frontline fighter, a mage and someone causing a rain of arrow destruction from the back.
- Add on the main character, who is recommended to be a mage - fighter combo to complement the party's other characters.
With level up the right way, the party can take on multiple enemies and survive even if one of them gets incapacitated by obstacles such as stalactites in the dragon hunt side quest.