The end of the road. Karl has saved his family from chlorine suffocation, but in doing so he's been badly hurt himself. Only Anna, the game's plucky medic, can save the day now... with, of course, a little help from a certain helpful wartime pooch. Will these valiant hearts have a happy ending? Or can there be any happy endings in such terrible times...?
Saint Mihiel - Anna
- It's been a while. Anna has been whisked to Saint Mihiel by the dog, and must save Karl and his family. You'll only spend a short time on the farm and there's very little to see, so don't bother poking around here for items. They're all in the second half of the level, far from here.
- Enter the courtyard of the farm. Search to the left to find the family. Pull Karl out of the rubble, then tend to his injuries. After a quick rhythm game you'll wind up at a clinic and have to perform another, more difficult rhythm game. Both follow naturally from the ones you've performed before, though the patterns tend to jump around a little more, thereby increasing the difficulty.
- Karl isn't safe yet. You have a limited amount of time to find a medical kit before he dies. His current condition is indicated in a series of windows that get progressively worse the longer you take. Try to skim through the building quickly. There are a few areas in here that are utterly useless to you, so try not to get sidetracked. Pay attention to the directions given by the nurses that are standing in the various rooms.
- (Needless to say, you may want to make two trips through here: one to gather all of the items, one to collect the medical kit. It's easy to get lost in here, and some of the items require you to sidetrack in otherwise pointless directions.)
- Go upstairs in the clinic, check the cupboard on your left for a Glass Syringe, then head into the back room on the right. Continue to the right and pop open the locker you pass as you're going by windows to find X-Ray Equipment.
- Go downstairs one floor, down one room, and out to the left. You'll find a small courtyard. Check behind the bush out here to find a Bar of Soap. Get back inside, return to the room with the stairs, and take a left. Run until you find another set of down stairs.
- You're now in the basement. Look to the left for several lockers. The last locker contains a Dentist's Basin. Then check the brown cupboard on the right for the medical kit you need.
- Dash back to Karl's bedside and use the kit on him. You'll now have to perform several more rhythm games to save his life. These are the hardest in the game by far, and the direction you have to press will change quite often as Anna works on Karl. Pay close attention to patterns.
- Saved. You've almost reached the end of the line.
Maizy - Emile
This level more or less tends to itself. There are no puzzles to complete nor items to collect. Just guide Emile steadily to the right and the game will come to a slow, eloquent conclusion. Congratulations for completing the novel experience that is Valiant Hearts.
Now that the game is complete, you can return to earlier chapters to collect any items you may have missed or unlock any achievements that were skipped or otherwise incomplete on your first pass through. Note that items you've already collected will remain collected on subsequent trips through a level, and you don't need to go looking for them a second time.