Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
Common problems with the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset include humming, buzzing, static and other unwanted noises in the headset, the headset getting hot when connected to a PC, an echo of the chat or game audio and more. Work to resolve these problems through troubleshooting before ditching your pricey headset for something else.
Humming, Buzzing or Hissing in PX21 Headsett
- The noise may be the result of a ground loop, which can occur when you're headset is connected to multiple devices that have a grounding prong plugged into an AC outlet. Try resolving the hum, buzz or hiss in your Turtle Beach PX21 headset by plugging the power cables for one or all of the devices your headset is connected to into two-prong adapters that don't have a spot for the grounding prong, and then plug the two-prong adapter into an available AC outlet.
- Coaxial cables that run near your TV can also result in a buzzing, hissing, humming or other noise through your PX21 headset. Try moving coaxial cables away from your PX21 headset, and if that doesn't stop the noise you're hearing, try disconnecting the cable to see if that resolves your problem.
- If you're hearing a hissing sound while using the chat feature, turn the chat volume on the PS3, Xbox 360 or PC all the way up and then turn the chat volume controller on the headset's primary cable down. The hissing could be the result of having the chat volume on the headset's primary cable turn up all the way.
- If you're having this problem and using the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset with the Xbox 360, avoid charging the Xbox 360 controller's battery and connecting the headset at the same time. Connecting both devices at once runs a large amount of current through the controller, resulting in the buzzing in your headset.
PX21 Headset Gets Hot When Connected to PC
- The Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset will get hot when it's connected to a PC if you have a large amount of other devices connected to the USB ports on your computer. This happens because the USB root hub is pushing out a heavy amount of power. To resolve this problem, try disconnecting some of the other devices connected to USB ports on your computer that you're not using.
- Your computer's power supply may be damaged or not capable of handling the power requirements of the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset. Check the power supply for signs of physical damage and also check the specs on the power supply. If the power supply is damaged or doesn't output enough power to handle all of the connected devices, consider replacing it.
More Tech Articles!
- Troubleshoot Netflix Problems on Wii
Are you tired of connection problems with Netflix on your Nintendo Wii? Is Netflix content choppy or blurry on the Wii? Check this article to learn how you can troubleshoot your problem to get the best quality streaming Netflix content possible.
Chat or Game Echo
- Outputting your gaming console or PC sound through speakers and also through your PX21 headset can result in your hearing an echo resulting from any lag between the two devices. Try turning off external speakers to resolve this problem.
- Make sure the cable connecting the headset to your gaming console's controller is plugged in solidly to the console's controller, and make sure the mic cable connected to a PC is pushed firmly into the connecting jack.
- If you're only experiencing this problem when the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset is connected to a PC, try reducing the sensitivity of the microphone function in the PC's audio settings.
Rate Your Turtle Beach PX21 Headset
Gaming Console Doesn't Recognize Turtle Beach PX21
The Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21 headset is supported by controllers made by Microsoft and Sony for use with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but may not work with third-party controllers that work with those devices. Check the specifications on third-party controllers before buying them to ensure that they'll work with your Turtle Beach PX21 headset.
PX21 Headset Mic Doesn't Work with Xbox 360
- The jack where the microphone cable connects to the Xbox 360 controller may be damaged or defective. Try moving the connector at the end of the headset cable that connects to the controller to see if it wiggles. If it wiggles, the jack is probably loose and the controller needs to be replaced.
- The cable connecting the PX21 headset to the Xbox 360 controller may be defective and need to be replaced. You can order replace cables from Turtle Beach.
Link on May 11, 2014:
If using on a pc and hear buzzing when any voice application is running, look to see sound is turned on through hdmi cable from gpu to monitor. I'm using a gtx 780 and the hdmi sound option was enabled on my gpu and was creating a lot of interference when using skype, ventrillo, or even games with a voice chat option. turning the hdmi sound option off completely solved the problem.
zob677 on April 10, 2013:
Is there a diagram to rewire a broken headset?
EJ3531 on January 18, 2013:
I as well have the px21 and very pleased with it, enough to talk my buddy into getting one as well. He has no problems with it u less he has a guest playing with him on the same console, then I hear him but it's bad choppy and can't figure out how to get it to where I can hear him clearly while he has a guest playing alongside him. Anyone know of what might be the problem?
parker on December 25, 2012:
Im having the exact same issue as corey. When i plug in the headset, the chat boost light comes on, and then fades to black making chat volume so low its impossible to hear others.
corey on December 14, 2012:
I'm having this issue where I power on the headphones and the chat boost light comes on, but then fades to black and I lose the audio of the guys I'm playing with. Their voices are barely audible(I have to squeeze the headphones to my ear to hear them, and even that is sketchy). Has anyone else had this problem? if so, tell how I can fix it. Thanks..
ffbob22 on September 05, 2012:
Go to settings audio and make sure the dual inputs setting is selected which allows for hdmi and rca cables simultaneously. I had the same problem last night and was about to lose my mind.
villan502 on August 31, 2012:
^^im having the same problem i can hear people talking and they can hear me but no other game sound at all not even the clicking when im in the xmb menu on ps3 can only hear chat only any suggestions
aDDICTED gAMER on August 16, 2012:
I have had turtebeach PX21 headset since last christmas and it worked perfectly..
But now i got a new tv and the headset doesn't work anymore.. The PS3 sees the headset, and i can hear and talk with other people.. but i can't hear the game sound that comes from tv...
Martin on June 03, 2012:
I have px21 now when im on the pc i can hear the game, people talking but when i talk they cannot hear me yet i can hear that my mic is working. On the sound setting box on the turtle beach headset the volume for "chat" turns the game volume up and not the chat, Base and Game ones don't seem to do anything
jake on May 24, 2012:
My px21s' won't work for skyrim audio am I missing a cable or is something wrong with them?
doug on May 13, 2012:
after using these headphones for 6 months, suddenly they intermittently lose all sound every 5 minutes or so. i unplug the USB and reconnect it and the problem is solved.. for 5 minutes anyway. not sure what to do. i have tried several ports, all with the same problem. is this a common issue ?
jacob on May 02, 2012:
i can hear anything out of my px21s they wont work they did work but have stoped and i don't know what to do ??
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on April 27, 2012:
It sounds like there may be a wiring issue of some kind with that ear cup. You may not have to get new ones, as your issue may be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Contact Turtle Beach's support line and see if this is the case. They may exchange the headset for free.
Adventure Colorad from Denver,CO on April 27, 2012:
I've used a PX21 for about a year now and I love it! For those above that have problems with the chat volume: There is a separate volume control for the game volume and chat volume. It is on the little control box.
Cody on April 22, 2012:
I just got my Turtle Beach PX21's for Christmas. And since then not a single problem, I love them! But my right speaker has just quit working altogether, all sound is in the left speaker. So at the moment, I can't just go out and get new ones, can this be fixed? If not, then what should I do?
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on April 01, 2012:
Just to be certain, what system are you using this with, because the headset does work with both. However, try turning up the chat volume in the audio settings on either system to resolve your problem. That's about the only option I can think of.
price on April 01, 2012:
i love my px21s but the chat volume is so low i can't hear others, is there a separate volume where i can turn it up? cause it so low even when the game volume is all the way down. or maybe is there a way to overide the chat boost to turn up the chat?
Max Dalton (author) from Greater St. Louis, Missouri on March 15, 2012:
You probably need to adjust the chat settings on your PS3. Instead of me reiterating it, see page 4 on the manual's PDF at this link: http://www.turtlebeach.com/portals/0/Products/PS3/...
Let me know if that works.
David Churchill on March 15, 2012:
When I play with px21 on ps3 people in the lobby on mw3 or any game can hear me but I cannot hear anything they are saying unless my headset is unplugged any troubleshooting ideas please help.