Arc is a self-help author/speaker and AI thinker currently working as IT Manager in a tech company. He also make apps as a side hustle.
The Embermage can also go toe to toe as melee.
This build basically combines melee skills like Magma Mace and Immolation Aura, and elemental brand passive using staff as primary weapon.
- Dexterity (50 Stat Points): Put some few points to increase critical hit chance, dodge, and fumble recovery.
- Focus (345 Stat Points): Your main stat even the build is melee. You get will get more focus from Embermage armor set.
- Vitality (100 Stat Points): Vitality is needed since melee is more prone to damage.
Inferno (60 Skill Points)
- Magma Mace (15 Skill Points): This is you main active skill for damaging enemies. It inflicts weapon DPS as fire, chance to stun target, attack speed reduction, damage overtime as fire, and chance to break enemy shields. The skill also proc effects from Staff Mastery and Wand Chaos passive skill.
- Immolation Aura (15 Skill Points): Cast this skill once and it will last for almost a minute. It deals fire damage around you in melee range and also reduces incoming harm. Reducing incoming damage is perfect for melee build since it is more prone to damage.
- Elemental Attunement (15 Skill Points): Once you put points on this skill, grants passive aura that has chance to inflict elemental effects on nearby enemies such as burn, freeze, shock, or poison. The skill complements well with Fire Brand, Ice Brand, Lightning Brand, and Staff Mastery passive.
- Fire Brand (15 Skill Points): Useful passive skill since you burn enemies. The skill complements well with Elemental Attunement and Staff Mastery.
Frost (57 Skill Points)
- Frost Phase (1 Skill Point): Single point is enough for this skill. Use it to quickly move from one place to another. A good skill to include since this build is a melee.
- Astral Ally (15 Skill Points): Your clone will take care of the range combat for you.
- Staff Mastery (15 Skill Points): You will hit enemies with your staff a lot.
- The skill is really good for the build combine with Fire Brand, Ice Brand, Lightning Brand, and Elemental Attunement.
- Frozen Fate (11 Skill Points): Put your remaining skill points here. Freezing more enemies lets you proc Ice Brand a lot.
- Ice Brand (15 Skill Points): Useful passive skill since you freezes enemies. The skill complements well with Elemental Attunement and Staff Mastery.
Storm (15 Skill Points)
- Lightning Brand (15 Skill Point): Useful passive skill since you shock enemies. The skill complements well with Elemental Attunement and Staff Mastery.
- Spell: Haste - Haste that is always available is good for melee Embermage. It allows you to move and attack faster.
- Spell: Heal All - You need heal spell since you are a melee build. Melee is more prone to damage. I choose Heal All so that others will also benefit.
- Tome: Arcane Tools - The tome permanently increases the power of your Staff.
- Tome: Willpower - The tome provides resistance to slow and immobilization. Good for melee.
Equipment Affixes Priority
- High-end Staff: Since Staff is the primary weapon of this build. Equip the best that you can find.
- Boost Fire, Ice, and Electric damage: You need this for more damage to your brands.
- Critical hit chance: Better critical chance means more damage.
- Critical hit damage: Since we don’t put points on strength, get some critical damage from equipments.
- Health stolen on hit: You need this for survival.
- Health, Armor, and Damage reduction: Melee build needs more health.
Feel free to make your own variants
Torchlight newguy on November 10, 2020:
Do you have any gameplay footage of this build?
M on November 29, 2019:
I'm currently using this build for my embermage.
I'm now at LVL 53/100 (PS4). Completed the story so I moved to the endgame to get my character to LVL 100. It's a good and fun build but I think if it would be a hybrid, so using melee with staff in conjunction with a casting spell that damages enemies, it would be even more fun because of the variation. But still this is a great build!
Good work! You seem to be an expert at making builds for this game.