Arc is a self-help author/speaker and AI thinker. He also make apps as a side hustle.
Prismatic Bolt combine with Fire Brand, Ice Brand, and Lightning Brand is one of the most popular build for Embermage in Torchlight 2.
For this article, I’ll explain my own variants of Prismatic Bolt Build.
- Dexterity (50 Stat Points): Put some points here for increase critical hit chance, dodge, and fumble recovery.
- Focus (395 Stat Points): Invest lots of points in focus to inflict massive elemental damage.
- Vitality (50 Stat Points): Put few points here so that you won’t die easily especially if playing on elite difficulty.
Inferno (39 Skill Points)
- Charge Mastery (9 Skill Points): Lets you gain charge faster and retain it longer. As much as I want to max Charge Mastery, put only 9 points to give more on other priority skills.
- Elemental Attunement (15 Skill Points): The passive skill helps your Prismatic Bolt to proc more Fire Brand, Ice Brand, and Lightning Brand.
- Fire Brand (15 Skill Points): This passive makes your Prismatic Bolt deal more damage when you hit burning enemy. It also complements with Elemental Attunement and Prismatic Rift.
Frost (62 Skill Points)
- Frost Phase (1 Skill Point): Basically, you are going to use this skill to teleport. You can travel faster, instantly escape danger, and chase enemies better. One skill point is almost perfect for this skill. Reason: Low mana cost. You don’t really need the damage and other effects of this skill. You save skill points for other skills.
- Elemental Boon (15 Skill Points): This is your power up buff that increases elemental damage and resistance. At higher levels, it also provides bonus resistance to slow, resistance to immobilization, extra mana charge, and faster cast. Downside of this skill is the shorter duration and longer cooldown.
- Ice Prison (15 Skill Points): The skill traps your enemies to protect you or party from incoming threats. A good defensive and support skill.
- Astral Ally (15 Skill Points): Summon partner to assist you in unleashing more damage to enemies.
- Frozen Fate (1 Skill Point): Adding single point to this skill provides chance to freeze additional enemies whenever you kill an enemy.
- Ice Brand (15 Skill Points): This passive makes your Prismatic Bolt deal more damage when you hit frozen enemy. It also complements with Elemental Attunement and Prismatic Rift.
Storm (31 Skill Points)
- Prismatic Bolt (15 Skill Points): The bread and butter skill of this build! It lets you deal fire, ice, electric, and poison damage with chance to burn, freeze, shock, and poison enemies. Has low mana cost and seek out nearby enemies. This skill is overpowered once you have Fire Brand, Ice Brand, and Lightning Brand.
- Prismatic Rift (1 Skill Point): The skill has chance to teleport enemies away when they hit you. It also has chance to inflict random elemental effects. Single point is enough for this build.
- Lightning Brand (15 Skill Points): This passive makes your Prismatic Bolt deal more damage when you hit shocked enemy. It also complements with Elemental Attunement and Prismatic Rift.
- Spell: Elemental Overload - This is the answer when Elemental Boon is on cooldown and you need some damage boost. Alternately cast this spell and Elemental Boon during long run. And cast both this spell and Elemental Boon during boss fight to provide burst damage.
- Spell: Heal All - The spell is good to support you and your party.
- Tome: Concentration - Passively increases your mana recharge rate. Nice additions for the build since you are spamming Prismatic Bolt.
- Tome: Animal Handling - Passively increases the power of your Astral Ally and pet.
Equipment Affixes Priority
- Boost elemental damage: Basically, it makes your Prismatic Bolt and Brands more powerful.
- Critical hit chance and critical hit damage: This multiplies your damage per second.
- Health, physical armor, and elemental armor: Embermage that deals huge amount of damage is nothing if already dead. Investing on both health and armor is necessary.
Feel free to make your own variants.
Comments and Suggestions are accepted.
Arc Sosangyo (author) on September 08, 2018:
@Imada - appreciate your inputs here. Thank you.
Imada on September 01, 2018:
DEFINITIVE ELITE PRISMATIC BOLT EMBERMAGE GUIDE with wand + shield
TABLE OF CONTENT:
1 - SKILLS
2 - SKILLS CHOICE
3 - LEVELING
4 - ROTATION
5 - HOTKEYS
6 - STATS
7 - ITEM BUILD
8 - SPELLS
9 - PET SPELLS
10 - PET FOOD
11 - TIP
12 - BEST-IN-SLOT ITENS
13 - BEST SOCKETS
1 - SKILLS:
Immolation Aura 15
Charge Mastery 5
Elemental Attunement 5
Fire Brand 15
Frost Phase 1
Ice Prison 15
Frozen Fate 1
Ice Brand 15
Prismatic Bolt 15
Death's Bounty 15
Lightining Brand 15
2 - SKILLS CHOICE:
Elemental Boon has a short duration and long cooldown, so it was dropped. But I won't denie that the bonuses it has are great.
I've read some reports saying that Astral Ally isn't worth, so it was dropped. Also, with the recommended pet spells you'll have a small army for yourself and Ice Prison + Hailstorm + Frozen Fate does a great crowd control.
Thunder Locus and Frost Wave are really good AoE, but in this build I choosed Hailstorm. To be honest, you even won't use Hailstorm for AoE, you'll just cast Hailstorm for the crowd control it causes stuning and freezing, and for the eletrical damage bonus the hailstorm tier has. After casting Hailstorm once, you'll spawn Prismatic Bolt to wipe your foes.
There weren't points left for Prismatic Rift, but if you play it correctly you won't need it.
Although many people says that at end game you won't have problems with mana, Charge Mastery is great for the 25% damage bonus that embermages receive when charged, and also gives a great help with mana issues at early game.
Fire Brand/Ice Brand/Lightining Brand greatly increase the damge of Prismatic Bolt. If you're a noob and doesn't know, Prismatic Bolt hits causes burn, freezes and shocks, so they trigger the brands.
Elemental Attunement is necessary because at end game you'll spent a lot of time moving between your attacks with Prismatic Bolts, and keeping the status effects up are essential to deal a high damage with the brands (Fire Brand/Ice Brand/Lightining Brand).
Ice Prison is a great crowd control, so it was maxed.
To spend at least 1 skill point in Frozen Fate is mandatory for crowd control. But if you disagree, you may spend this point in Astral Ally.
Immolation Aura is a good defensive bonus.
Frost Phase is essential for mobility and dodging. One level is mandatory and enough.
Death's Bounty is a great help for survivability.
3 - LEVELING:
As soon as possible, take the skill point form magma spear and put it at Prismatic Bolt. Keep Prismatic Bolt at level 1 until your character is at least level 20 or more, or you'll have mana issues and the first levels of prismatic bolt doesn't greatly increase it's damage.
The second skill you'll need it's charge mastery. Get it to level 5 ASAP.
At the beggining the brands are not very effective without elemental attunement, keep that in mind when chosing what passive skill to upgrade. Get at least one level of each brand, them get level 5 of elemental attunement, then upgrade the brands.
Always keep a preference to get level 1 of the active skills, and then maximising the brands (ice/fire/lightiningh brands). When you start to invest skill points at any active skill, give a preference for it until it gets at a level multiple of 5, then start to invest at another skill. At the early game you'll really want the Hailstorm and Immolation tier 5 bonus.
Investing heavily in Ice Prison until it's maxed is not a bad idea. The crowd control it offers is essential for surviving.
4 - ROTATION:
1 - Always keep Elemental Protection and Immolation Aura up.
2 - If you're facing a boss or a elite, cast Elemental Overload and Dervish whenever you get charged and the cooldown is up. Also, use a vampiric spider egg or a warsnouts at the beggining of the battle.
3 - Use ice prison for crowd control. It's also very useful against bosses and elites, not only crowds.
4 - If you're facing a crowd or have health/mana issues, use Death's Bounty.
5 - Cast Hailstorm for the bonus it gives for eletrical damage with it's tier and for crowd control.
6 - Spam Prismatic Bolts.
At any moment during the rotation, run or use Frost Phase to keep distance from your enemies and dodging spells so you don't get killed. To stay still during a battle it's to flirt with death.
5 - HOTKEYS:
I like to put the Spells (Dervish/Elemental Overload/Elemental Protection), pet food and Immolation at the bar, so I can easily cast them (it also helps remembering to cast them). At the right click I rotate betwen skills using the hotkeys F1 (Ice Prison), F2 (Death's Bounty), F3 (Hailstorm), F4 (Prismatic Bolt) and F5 (Frost Phase).
6 - STATS:
Aim for the following stats, without bonuses:
Strenght is useless for embermages.
Dex 53 gives critical and dodge chances ate base 10%.
The main stat for embermages, it increases the magical damage of skills.
Vit 140 gives a base 35% armor bonus and 24% block chance.
At the beggining, put stats points at the ratio 1:3:1 dex/focus/vitality. When dex gets 53, start to put stats points at the ratio 3:2 focus/vitaliy until vitality gets 140. After that, put all your stats points at focus.
7 - ITEM BUILD:
This build was made considering you'll use a wand + shield.
Stats you should be looking for (Also for Enchantments!), in order of priority:
+ Focus (this is the best stat for any embermage)
+ % all damage
+ Damage reduction
+ % Cast Speed
+ Elemental/Physical armor
+ % critical chance
+ % critical damage
8 - SPELLS:
Elemental Overload VI
Elemental Protection VI
Treasure Hunter VI until you're full item build. After that, use the Spell Blocking VI
9 - PET SPELLS:
Heal All VI
Summon Nether Imp V
Summon Skeleton VI
Summon Zombies VI
10 - PET FOOD:
Vampiric Spider Egg and Warsnouts are great.
11 - TIP:
Keep any VENDOR BOON SCROLL to use it only when you have a lot of money (at least 2 milion gold) and at an area level 100 or more (like Tarroch's Tomb at new game +). Then you may have the chance to buy one best-in-slot item.
12 - BEST-IN-SLOT ITENS:
There are many good wands and shields, use the ones you found with the best status according to the topic "Item Build".
2x Alchemist Ring of Ember
Although the ascedant seems to be the best choice for gloves, belt and shoulder due to it's extra socket slot and higher armor, you should remember that you can add a second socket to the transcedent items. Despiste the fact that the trancendent physical armor is lower, the other item stats are much better.
And ascendant and trancendent items are from the same set, so with my recommendation you`ll have all the set bonuses till 8 pieces.
About the rings, you won't need to complete the Transcedent Set, because the alchemist ring of ember is so far superior to the trancendent ring that the last two bonus of the trancendent set are surpassed.
13 - BEST SOCKETS:
Weapon sockets: 1 rambren skull. If you have more than one socket slot, use rambren skulls and whorlbarb skulls at the ratio 1:1 with preference to rambren.
Armor/Trincket sockets: use at the ratio 2:1:1 Wfuntir Skull/Skull of Limoany/Skull of Riechliu. With all best-in-slot itens and adding an extra socket to the trancedent items and rings, you'll have a total of 20 armor sockets. At this point you should be using 10 wfuntir, 5 limoany and 5 riechliu.
THANKS FOR THE ATTENTION AND SORY FOR MY ENGLISH FLUENCY