Arc is a self-help author/speaker and AI thinker currently working as IT Manager in a tech company. He also make apps as a side hustle.
An armoured equipped with a powerful long range cannon. That’s how you describe a modern military tank.
Engineer in Torchlight 2 can also be a modern tank by equipping it with powerful cannon instead of melee weapon.
- Strength (295 Stat Points): Higher amount of strength will provide tons of damage from basic attack, Blast Cannon, Coup de Grace, and critical strike. With this amount of Strength, typical enemies are dead before they reach you.
- Dexterity (100 Stat Points): Dexterity to improve critical hit chance and dodge.
- Vitality (100 Stat Points): You need vitality especially in elite difficulty.
Blitz (30 Skill Points)
- Heavy Lifting (15 Skill Points): This is the primary passive skill to max. It adds attack speed for more damage per second, chance to stun for staggering enemies and helps proc Coup de Grace. First passive skill to max!
- Coup de Grace (15 Skill Points): Cannons in Torchlight 2 has 35% chance to stun target. So you won’t have any problem on how to proc this passive skill. You can max this skill at early levels.
Construction (61 Skill Points)
- Healing Bot (15 Skill Points): Need some repairs or refuel? Healing Bot can do it even in combat. It saves you lots of health and mana potion.
- Blast Cannon (15 Skill Points): This is your main active skill for damaging enemies. It fires powerful long range piercing blast. Enemies also become susceptible to physical and fire damage. So the next physical or fire attacks on them do more damage. Once you have tier bonus, the chance to blind enemies is really helpful especially in elite difficulty. Max this skill first.
- Gun Bot (15 Skill Points): The machine gun in your tank! Provides powerful fire support or suppression.
- Sledgebot (15 Skill Points): Summon to handle the melee role for you since you are a range tank. Tip: Alternately summon Gun Bot and Sledgebot during non boss fight, so that you always have a powerful companion.
- Charge Domination (1 Skill Point): One skill point is enough since you will gain more chance if there are more enemies.
Aegis (41 Skill Points)
- Forcefield (15 Skill Points): Always make sure you and your allies have forcefield. So if enemies that survived from the cannon’s blast reached you, they still cannot hurt you.
- Immobilization Copter (15 Skill Points): Another support drone in your tank! It helps you hold down some enemies if you cannot handle them all.
- Aegis of Fate (1 Skill Point): Just like Charge Domination, one skill point is enough since you will gain more chance if there are more enemies.
- Charge Reconstitution (10 Skill Points): Extra repair when Healing Bot, cannot handle all the health recovery.
- Spell: Haste - Provides bonus attack speed for more cannon blast, faster movement speed to quickly distance from harm. The spell has same cooldown and effect duration so you can always haste as long as there is mana.
- Tome: Armor Expertise - Permanently makes your physical armor thicker.
- Tome: Animal Handling - Permanently increase the power of your Pet, Gun Bot, and Sledgebot. More damage.
- Tome: Concentration - Permanently improves your mana recharge so that you can spam more Blast Cannon.
Equipment Affixes Priority
Cannon: Obviously, you need a Cannon for this build to work effectively.
Critical hit chance: Having huge amount of strength means you have stronger critical damage. So get more critical hit chance to trigger more damage.
Health stolen on hit: This is a must for survival. It makes you harder to kill.
Attack speed: Effectively boost to your damage per second.
Bonus to pet and minion power: More fire power to your Pet, Gun Bot, and Sledgebot.
Health, Armor, and Damage reduction: You’re partly considered as tank.
Feel free to make your own variants.