With the launch of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, the gaming industry is all set to usher in a new era of modern gaming. And with high class technology like a faster GPU and Ray tracing, fans no doubt have some pretty enourmous expectations.
However, that shouldn't take anything away from the well deserved success and acclaim that the Current Gen has received. And with games like these still set to launch for these consoles, it's safe to say it looks to go out in style.
5. Halo Infinite
The Halo Series hasn't exactly received a lot of praise ever since 343 Industries took over. Despite this, Halo Infinite still promises to be one of the most heavily anticipated video games of the year.
And for good reason too!
Top Features of Halo Infinite
- Halo Infinite is the 3rd edition in the "Reclaimer Saga". It promises to have a much more human story as compared to the lackluster Halo 4 & 5 games that preceded it.
- Halo Infinite also puts Master Chief in a much more central role who, despite being a fan favorite, didn't have quite the significant role in Halo 5.
- Halo Infinite has also been designed on a new "Slipspace" gaming engine. And based on it's E3 2018 teaser, the anticipation is extremely high for this game.
Halo has been widely regarded as a groundbreaking FPS series. And if Halo Infinite meets our expectations, it could mean even greater things for the franchise moving forward.
Just please don't launch this one as a live service!
4. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
You're going to see a lot of nostalgia driven entries on this list, and that couldn't be any truer than for Crash Bandicoot 4
Top Features of Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
- The game retcons the entire franchise except for the original trilogy by Naughty Dog. It is, without a doubt, a true sequel the original games.
- Its game design & traversal stages are also quite similar to the original three games from the PS1 era.
- The game will also release for both The PS4 and Xbox One, which'll only add to its well-established demand & popularity.
Set to launch on October 2nd, just prior to the release of The PS5, Crash Bandicoot 4 promises to be a fitting swansong for The current PlayStation console.
3. Ghost of Tsushima
You can't deny that Sucker Punch has given Sony some of it's best action adventure games. But Ghosts of Tsushima looks to be their most heavily anticipated & ambitious project to date.
Top Features of Ghost of Tsushima
- The game is historically set during The First Mongolian Invasion of Japan in 1274 A.D. You get to play as Jin Sakai, one of the final remaining samurais on Tsushima Island.
- The game has an Open World title, that should delight both history fanatics & fans of Action or Stealth gaming.
- Of Course, the game also has a very intriguing story. To defeat his enemies, Jin must abandon the honor of The Samurai code and must go to extreme lengths to protect his home & his people.
The combination of an Open World setting & a strong character driven story provides players with a complex character study of the moral choices one must take on the path of vengeance & retribution.
The game is set to launch on July 17th & is being regarded as one of the most important releases in the gaming industry this year.
2. Dying Light 2
Dying Light 2 strikes a personal chord with me (mainly because I grew up playing The Resident Evil Franchise) & to see it delayed indefinitely following The Coronavirus Pandemic is pretty frustrating.
But that doesn't mean that the initial hype for the game has gone down, as it promises to bring a lot of new & welcome additions to the franchise.
Top Features of Dying Light 2
- Dying Light 2, like most popular zombie based video game franchises, has a great story, exquisite action sequences, and stellar visuals.
- But what really sets it apart is the game's emphasis on clever parkour mechanics & crafting.
- The sequel also puts a heavy focus on the game's story driven narrative. Even small decisions you make (like helping out a group of survivors) drastically changes the story's plot.
- Not to mention Chris Avellone (The writer for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order) & some of the writers from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt are behind this game's storyline.
It's no surprise that the original game garnered both critical & commercial praise for it's excellent storytelling and gameplay mechanics.
And if everything we're hearing about the sequel is true then dying light 2 will be a more than welcome addition to this young franchise.
1. Cyberpunk 2077
I mean what else could really top this list!
If there's any Current Gen game that's sure to cement it's legacy as one of the biggest games of the year (if not of all time) then it's Cyberpunk 2077.
On the surface you'd think that the game may not live up to its hype, since combining FPS gameplay with an RPG setting is a very common element in most games today.
But with Cyberpunk 2077, there's just so much more to the game than meets the eye.
Top Features of CyberPunk 2077
- Cyberpunk, similar to our previous 2 entries, combines storytelling with an Open World gameplay and a character driven narrative.
- The game also has multiple character archs, so everything from your actions in the game, to even the upgrades you get heavily influence the story moving forward.
- Cyberpunk 2077's heavy emphasis on character customization is like nothing we've seen before from a video game. From multiple expansive classes, to even cybernetic modifications are all part of this outstanding game.
- Cyberpunk 2077 brilliantly portrays the negative social influence of multiple crime organizations on Night City. It's a true masterpiece in world building.
- It has outstanding graphics & visuals, easily able to best even the most critically acclaimed games like Red Dead Redemption 2 & The Last of Us 2 when it comes to visual presentation.
- Some guy named Keanu Reeves makes a cameo in this game too I guess.
With multiple character arcs, a tight and well rounded story driven plot, and a variety of character customization options and upgrades, Cyberpunk 2077 is sure to deliver a unique & different experience for anyone who chooses to play this game.
And because of all of these amazing characters, it easily tops our list as the most heavily anticipated releases to close out the Current Gen's historic run.