Sigbog is an avid gamer whose addiction spans PC and mobile titles. They love to break games down and pick them apart.
Blades Early Access Guide
The Elder Scrolls: Blades
While not the 6th game in the series, The Elder Scrolls: Blades is Bethesda's first crack at an Elder Scrolls experience on mobile. It promises to fulfill at least some of what we all know and love about their games in a format that is convenient but likely still stripped back a bit. Their feature set as defined by them is:
- QUEST and Experience stunning dungeon adventures.
- CREATE and customize your city, restoring it to greatness.
- CONQUER your friends and rivals in epic one-on-one Arena battles.*
- CREATE any character you want and discover unique weapons, armor, and abilities.
- MASTER the never-ending Abyss with a cutting-edge combat system.
In demo videos they've boasted about their ability to deliver high quality experiences onto mobile devices, but with them entering early access, you will soon be able to see for yourself if this game can live up to the standard.
Getting Into Early Access
While you can download Blades on both iOS and Android, you can only play a very brief intro experience without actually receiving an invite to play the early access.
Upon opening the game, you will see a brief cut scene and play a very brief combat sequence. After that, you will get to a login screen. You must login to your Bethesda.net account (or create one) in order to enter that account into a waiting list for an invite to the early access.
If you do not have access you will land on a screen that says "thank you for downloading Blades" and informs you to wait for a notification when you are allowed into the early access.
It's also very important to acknowledge that not all devices will be allowed to play this game! It is incredibly graphically demanding and requires a newer mobile phone in order to play. For example, a Pixel 3 will be able to run this game, but a Pixel 1 will not. You can check the Google Play page for Blades to see if your device is compatible. (Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bethsoft.blade)
Blades Early Access Message
Upon Getting Into Early Access
It's not completely clear how early access is granted or when you can expect to get in. However, when you do, a few things will happen.
- You will receive an e-mail informing you that you can now enter the early access
- You will receive a notification should you enable them
- You will be able to enter the game, the first sign being that you will have to download a very significant patch (nearly 1GB of data)
Then the game begins!
Blades Main Screen
What's Available in Early Access
It's currently unclear what the Blade's feature roadmap is and any expectations we should have about what is available during the early access versus during a real launch. However, there are plenty of things in the game currently available including:
- City Building - The main plot is restoring a city and this requires earning materials, building, and upgrading different buildings throughout your city. Your city has prestige and can level up, which unlocks new buildings.
- Dungeon Crawling & Combat - Obviously, you will fight your way through many different dungeons, abandoned castles, forests, etc.
- Character Building & Progression - Level up, unlock spells, abilities, perks, equip gear, craft gear, alchemy, etc. Most of your beloved Elder Scrolls item systems are in place!
- Questions & Other Tasks - One of your primary ways to progress is to complete quests. I think you understand this part.
- The 'Chest' System - Similar to many mobile games, Blades has a chest system. You can earn chests from dungeon crawling and it takes time to unlock those chests. These aren't the only systems that grant items you need, but it's a big one.
- Microtransactions - Microtransactions are live and functional. Your progress will not get reset during a full launch so no need to worry about that. You can expect more or less the normal implementation of microtransactions.
- The "Abyss" - An endless dungeon that lasts as long as you can survive.
- [COMING SOON] The "Arena" - This is their PvP mode that is currently not enabled.
Overall it's fairly full featured. It's unclear what else you may expect in future updates besides the addition of PvP.