One of the most important keys to leveling up your skills quickly in Skyrim is to find or make lots of magicka restoring gear. This is to complement certain spells that you can cast repeatedly, leveling up those spells as well as your overall level.
To make magicka restoring gear, you have to disenchant an item that has that ability. Then, you have to find soul gems (the higher the quality of the gem, the more effective it’ll be). Afterwards, you use the spell Soul Trap to fill up the gems, and then you just enchant your gear.
On to the leveling strategies...
- Muffle and Courage can level up your Illusion very rapidly. These spells can be cast anywhere, so you can just stand in a safe place and repeatedly cast them. Also, if you’re walking somewhere, and you don’t have anything to fight/do, cast these spells to up your Illusion.
- To level up your Alteration, get the spells Water Breathing, Detect Life, and Telekinesis. Water Breathing can be used repeatedly if you’re in water; just be careful not to drown. Detect Life is a spell that shows you NPC’s and other forms of life; it gives you more EXP based on amount of life that’s detected. Therefore, casting this spell in places like Windhelm and Riften are the most efficient ways to level up. Telekinesis gives you tons of Alteration EXP purely for lifting up items with the spell.
- Level up your Conjuration level by simply casting the spell Soul Trap on dead bodies.
- The easiest way to level up Restoration is to take constant damage while continuously holding a healing spell (like, well… Healing). The best way to do this: standing in a forge. Just find any forge (or any other place you can take continuous damage without dying too quickly), and level up!
- You can also level up Restoration, as well as Light and Heavy Armor by tanking enemies. Heal yourself, making sure not to die, and the damage will give you a lot of EXP for the armor skills.
- Always be on the lookout in shops for six main things: ores, ingots, leather, leather strips, cheap jewelry, and cheap soul gems. Transmute the ores for lots of Alteration EXP. Enchant the cheap jewelry with the cheap soul gems for good Enchanting EXP (you get the same amount of experience for enchanting low level items as high level items). For Smithing experience, use the rest of the “ingredients” to make low leveled armor and weapons, like Leather Bracers and Iron Daggers.
- Level up your combat skills such as One Handed Weapons and Destruction by continuously attacking Shadowmere, a horse whom you can get from doing Dark Brotherhood quests. To make sure he doesn't die, set your difficulty to "Master", and he will regenerate HP much quicker.
Also check out...
- Skyrim | 4 Unique and Fun Character Builds
- Skyrim | Light Armor vs. Heavy Armor
- Skyrim | How to Make Money/Gold Quickly
- Skyrim | The Most Useful and Useless Perks
- 5 Reasons Why Skyrim is One of Best RPGs Ever
sneaket on February 04, 2015:
Forge does not work in latest dlc/patch updates....forge does no damage,or you cannot get in
nugt on March 27, 2014:
Go to high hrothgar and sneak attack the graybeards got up 60 lvls for sneak in an hour. Very good way to lvl sneak
Dovabear on March 26, 2014:
A really easy way to level up
1 get an iron dagger
2 go up to high hrothgar
3 change difficulty to legendary
4 when the greybeards are meditating sneak behind them with the iron dagger equipped and sneak attack them until they are on low health ( note this works better if you don't have existing perks in sneak )
5 when the greybeard is low on health wait for one hour and then rinse and repeat!
i got to level 100 in about 30 mins, hope it helps :3
Hawico on February 11, 2014:
i play skyrim for almost 1 and half year and seriously this site and explanations are great.i couldn't resist to say thank u .
skullender on January 21, 2014:
i am at leavel 50 beat that
Brad on December 03, 2013:
Just in case anyone checks this at some point, an all alteration reduction set (circlet, armor, ring, necklace) can be used in conjunction with telekinesis to level up alteration very quickly. If you have the mage stone activated, you can level from 15 to 100 in approximately 10 minutes.
Anon on May 11, 2013:
I guess it got patched so it doesn't work anymore.
Matt on May 10, 2013:
not exactly sure why but the riften meadory guy was only able to be persudaded once
Ttocs L (author) on March 06, 2013:
Thanks, guys, for sharing, it should help tons of people out
Mikey on March 06, 2013:
To add to Brian's Equilibrium/healing spell technique.
I travelled to Whiterun Imperial Camp just west of Rorikstead.
Clearing the place of Imperial soldiers and you're left with Legate Quentin, who is won't die AT ALL.
Then using Equilibrium on the left hand to level up Alteration and Incinerate on the right to level up Destruction (I use this because it's the highest D.spell I can cast atm and it only takes 2 shots to bring Legate to his knees).
Then once he's down, still keeping Eq' in use AT ALL TIMES (meaning do not let go of the left trigger or whatever the button is on PC, as I'm an Xbox player), switch your right hand to Close Wounds keep healing/converting till he gets back up. Rinse and repeat.
It's taking a while at level 63, but those last 3 levels have been gained in under an hour doing this, which is faster than most "techniques" I've read up online....
Just thought I'd share anyway
Brian on November 21, 2012:
Use Equilibrium with one of the healing spells at the same time. It levels both Restoration and Alteration, and can be done for a literally infinite amount of time. Quick and easy way to get to 100 in both skills.
Alex on October 13, 2012:
You can go to High Hrothgar to and sneak attack Parthanax hit him once then wait then just doing it till sneak is 100 :D
Puckdog on August 26, 2012:
Off topic slightly. If you suck at sneak! I have the answer! Find a bucket! Put it over the shop keepers head! Then go sneak and rob him blind!
Sarah on July 26, 2012:
In response to crappe, talking to the bloke in the Riften tavern and getting speech up to 100 (I started at a 34) only took me half an hour. You just have skip all the blabbing he does and it goes by much quicker.
Plus here's a way to get Sneak up to 100 in about 20 minutes. Go to High Hrothgar and just sneak attack the greybeards
Joerachi on July 08, 2012:
Actually, I found it easier to cast multiple Turn Undead and the like to level up restoration on a Thrall or Draugr or something.
Alchemy, Smithing, and Speech can be easily 100'd with the Fortify Restoration glitch (Alchemy Gear, Fortify Res. Potion, drink, unequip the re-equip alchemy gear, repeat as desired, fortify smithing potion, sell potions under this effect.).
crappe on July 06, 2012:
talk to the guy in the meedary in riften ask about his work and choose the persuade. do this over and over to increase your speech to 100 in about 3-4 houres depending on your stats.
Tristan on June 03, 2012:
That's true not everyone has a pc game
armand12 on May 28, 2012:
My little bit of experimentation shows that smithing increases faster with higher value items, so if you really want to level it quickly, and make a quick buck, save EVERY gem. After you've transmuted all the ore, you can craft jewelry, a silver necklace = approximately 5 iron daggers, and in early levels of it i gained near full-levels from the gold/diamond combos.
Blue on May 26, 2012:
Might want to add something to the alteration guide... characters don't start at the level required to acquire any of those spells!
Ryuzaki on May 24, 2012:
not everyone has a pc game
Gernon on April 19, 2012:
Yeah, I agree with benji. Instead of spending the whole night "bot"ing, just use console.
benji on February 19, 2012:
if you're going to start coding scripts to level up your character before leaving helgen,
aren't there console commands to do it way quicker?
a cheat is a cheat is a cheat--nothing wrong with playing that way if it's fun for you, but call a spade a spade
M.Shadow on February 12, 2012:
This is the way i did it for one night,Destruction and Sneak...I exit with 100 Destruction and Sneak at start of the game from Helgen xD
How you may ask...remember the part where you need to sneak up behind the bear or kill it just before you exit to skyrim?
Step 1. DO NOT KILL THE BEAR or engage it in any way! Just sneak next to the wall left of the waggon cart,place your back against the wall and hit reverse till you stop moving around and make sure that guy who escorts you is in front of you (forgot his name).When u feel like you have found a spot lets move on...
Step 2. Equip Sparks Spell then prepare mouse-clicking script (I use Grassoftware Macro Expert)
-Destruction - make the script hold the Left mouse button for some time till HP on the guy is low (don't kill him,he doesn't die but he starts to move away and we want him to be stationary where he is)then make it release the button.Putting the script on Loop starting again in 28sec(that was the time he took to regen his full health)and again and again and again...all night,u should get around 80-90 points in 4-6 hours,while sleeping of course xD
-Sneak - As i said put ur back against the wall and make a script for the keyboard to hold the Back or Reverse button and you're done! Sneaking into a wall,nowhere to move,bear nearby sleeping and u keep zapping that dude :))) again all night long.Should get u 90-100 Sneak.
Wait for at least 5min to see if both skills increase.If so,your ready to go to sleep :)
Summary for about 4-6 hours:
- Around level 20-25 ... same amount of perks.
And when the job is done with both skills at 100 points i exit as Wizzard Ninja! Sneaking around zapping everything.
Probably we can do this even with Restoration and Armor,making the bear hit you afterwards and keep on healing.But i wasn't gonna wait for another night for it and doing that all day seems very repetitive(in other words,booring after 2hours).
lyndanboi225 on January 29, 2012:
To level up block get against a tree so the wolf can't get behind you set the difficulty to novice attach a lacky band and... go to bed. Note block must be level 30 to take no damage
vanguARD on December 23, 2011:
You can level up smithing by making many iron daggers then earn money by enchanting the iron daggers with the enchantment called Banish. Use petty soul gems. You also level up enchanting doing this. If you have shadowmere, you can train any combat skill by constantly attacking it. Set difficulty on master and shadowmere's Hp will regen faster.
akechi on December 19, 2011:
you also can level up you conjuration just casting soul trap on dead bodies
Ttocs L (author) on November 22, 2011:
Haha, yeah, that's a slow one to level up. It's not exactly practical to level up to 100 in restoration right off the bat, but the forge strategy can be useful if you're like level 48 or 49 in it and need to get to 50 quickly.
Exile on November 22, 2011:
If ur goin to level up 2 100 in restoration get a sleeping bag. All day event
Ttocs L (author) on November 21, 2011:
No problem! Actually, basically the same thing happened to me, except with a wolf... Which spurred me to write this article :)
Christopher Rago from Riverside, NJ on November 21, 2011:
Thanks for these tactics. I recently increased my restoration while taking repeating damage from a very weak bandit over and over again, and then healing myself. Hilarious and effective.