Luke has been playing video games and reading comic books since childhood. He's a bearded family man in plaid.
Whether you're a new fan because of the movies or a long-time lover of all things Marvel, this is the game for you. With a diverse cast, incredible action and graphics, and the immediately fun gameplay, this game is a must play. With the next generation of consoles on the near horizon, both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One use every single ounce of power to run this beautiful game.
Story and Multiplayer
This game can be briefly described in one word: cinematic. The creators at Square Enix did their homework and made practically every second of this game not only fun to play but also engaging the player with the story. Without getting too deep into the plot, an epic disaster occurs that changes the world's opinion on superheroes. The creators were able to take the action and drama of this event and use it to tell the same story from the viewpoint of six diverse characters.
The multiplayer aspect of the game is great. Being able to team up with friends or just a group of randoms and get to play as some of the most popular heroes is awesome. One thing I wished they had was a couch co-op mode, similar to what the Lego games have to offer.
You Are the Hero
One of the things that this game does incredibly well is how each character plays differently from the other. With 6 heroes to choose from, the way that you play is entirely up to you.
- Do you like being an absolute force to be reckoned with? Then you should play as the Hulk, who uses his rage to fuel his unbelievable strength in battle. His powerful attacks have weight to them and so much of the environment is addictively smashable.
- Are you the kind of player that prefers maneuverability, using quick attacks to control the mobs? Then Black Widow, with her taser tonfas and twin pistols is the hero for you? Her parry mechanic is so much fun and seeing her twist and bring down her foes worth getting the timing right.
- Do you want to be a literal god with the powers of flight and almost unstoppable attack power? The Mighty Thor will scratch that itch for you. He is my personal favorite. His ability to fly and blast lightning, along with throwing his iconic hammer makes playing as the Norse god an unforgettable experience
- For an all-out, star-spangled, shield-bashing slug-fest, use Captain America. His play-style is reminiscent of how the Arkham series perfected crowd-control fights while playing as Batman. You can alternate up-close brawling with his ranged shield-throw which has a satisfying sound for each time it hits a foe that makes every throw as fun as the first.
- You can also be Ironman. That should be enough for most folks to pick up this game. His armor is a Swiss Army knife of different options on how to utterly destroy the bad guys. Rockets, lasers, and his traditional repulsor blasts both feel and look amazing. With the ability to fly, you can have the high ground during every encounter. And when a laser just wont cut it, straight-up punching baddies is very satisfying.
- Lastly, you can play as Kamala Khan, AKA Ms. Marvel. Her character is very new in comparison to the other heroes, but the depth of her development as part of the story and as a fun character to play as was honestly quite surprising and refreshing to see. Her stretching and shapeshifting abilities is something that I've never seen done this well before in a video game. One of her mechanics is to dodge almost all physical attacks while increasing her strength. And stretching her arm across the room to punch a guy is a whole lot of fun too. Also, this game is, in essence, about her and her journey as a hero. Representation in all types of media is very important, and having a strong Muslim young woman as one of the main characters is amazing and a real step in the right direction.
Time to Level Up
Each character has an extensive skill tree that just keeps getting better as you increase their level. For instance, Thor can summon a huge blast of lightning, capable of hitting multiple enemies in front of you. As you play as Thor and increase his level, you can unlock a perk that lets you use that ability multiple times before it needs to recharge. Each hero has so much potential just waiting to be utilized by the player.
Grinding for Gear
One aspect of this game that I'm not crazy about is the gear system. Similar to games like Diablo and Destiny, these items power up and boost certain abilities of your heroes. While most of the time the good stuff, the highest quality gear, is mission-specific, the rest of the time you're picking up a lot of basic gear. The HUD stays very busy telling me that I have new, higher-level gear or that I have too much in my inventory to hold onto anymore that it has become tedious. The one thing they do have going for them is that the method of dismantling the unwanted gear is very streamlined and easy to use. I can only have so many Thor belts at once and fractions of a percent aren't worth switching them out.
If you are a fan of the superhero genre, a fan of Marvel, or just a fan of one single character that appears in this title then this game is for you. Marvel's Avengers has been, hands down, one of my most enjoyable games that I've played in a long time. I highly recommend this action-packed game to everyone, whether they be a comic book aficionado or someone completely new to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.