Go-Kart Parts List
To build a go-kart, you will need the following:
Drive axle: You have a few options here.
- Live axle: A live axle is one where the wheels are mounted directly to the axle and the axle spins.
- Dead axle: A dead axle is where the wheels spin freely, but the axle itself doesn't move.
- Differential axle: A differential axle is where both wheels spin just like a car.
- Live axle hub.
Brakes: You also have a few options here.
- Band brake
- Drum brake
- Scrub brake
- Disc brake (the best choice)
- Tie Rod
- Pitman arm
- Steering wheel
Clutch: You have two options.
- V-belt clutch
- Chain clutch/heavy duty clutch
- Comet torque converter (increases the speed and power of the kart and engine) (optional)
Sprockets: You have options here, and this is one of the harder things to choose because you need on that fits with the chain.
- Axle sprocket (that's welded on)
- Tire sprocket
Chain: There are three sizes of chain.
- Size 35 chain (the weakest but most common)
- Size 40 chain
- Size 41 chain
- Size 420 chain (the strongest and most rare)
- Belt (depending on clutch)
Tires and Rims:
- Standard go-kart tires or street tires
- Bearings (pro bearings are a lot faster)
- Single flange hub
Frame: Draw a picture or print the one I have included here and bring it to a welder. If you draw your own, make sure to include sizes and measurements.
Engine: As big as you want it. Modify your frame if you have a big engine because the weight might make it tip backwards. Make sure it's horizontal and not vertical.
Go-Kart Frame Style Options
Where to Buy Go-Kart Parts Online?
Check your local lawnmower supply place to see if they have what you need. If you don't find what you want at your local stores, here are some of the best places to buy go-kart parts online:
Alright, good luck, and peace!
How to Build a Go-Kart (Part 1)
Go-Kart Made of Recycled Parts
TomJohnson on September 17, 2017:
Yeah thank you for the help kind gentleman I made my own Like a week ago so much fun but what helped me the most wash red tube I showed my wife she looked it too
Tom on June 18, 2017:
sandro Cali on August 07, 2015:
Show pic of what your talking about
boss on April 19, 2015:
nice. really helped. please make sure it makes sense afterwards plz
joey1 on March 02, 2015:
What is a break? Did you mean Brake?
lilbrettbrett from Clinton, South Carolina on December 30, 2014:
Hey please answer this can u tell me what i need for my go kart i have the frame and tires wheeels ect i need to know what else besides the motor and clutch as i need. Thanks
Owen on March 30, 2014:
northerntools.com is now northerntool.com
Kevin on October 23, 2013:
Amazing list dude thanks I'm opening up a fabrication shop and I'm going to be building a lot of go karts among other things to never built one yet but look forward to it
kek on March 26, 2012:
thanks for helping me build a go kart