Max holds a B.S. in mass communications from SIU, an M.A. in communications from U of I, and is pursuing an MBA from Webster University.
LeapFrog is most well known for creating the LeapPad tablet -- a rugged gaming tablet geared toward kids with a heavy emphasis on parental controls and making sure little kids don't have access to any inappropriate content. The LeapTV takes the concept a step further and lets kids use a motion sensor to interact with their favorite LeapFrog games projected directly onto their TV. Common problems with the LeapTV console include gaming cartridges not working, the pointer not working, problems with the device freezing up, and more.
Game Cartridge Not Working
- Make sure the game is pushed firmly into the slot. It sounds weird, but it's not uncommon for a game to not work because it's not firmly seated in the slot.
- Clean the inside of the game cartridge. Gently insert a Q-Tip and run it along the the connector inside of the LeapTV game cartridge to remove any dirt or debris that may be built up along the connector.
- Try another game cartridge to see if the problems you're experiencing are with the console or with that specific game. If the problem appears to be with that specific game and there is no dirt or debris that is preventing it from running, look for signs of physical damage that could be preventing it from working.
Update LeapTV Software
A number of issues can be resolved by updating the software/firmware on your LeapTV console using the following steps:
- Select the "Parent" icon on the login screen after powering on the LeapTV console.
- Input the parental passcode using the console controller.
- Choose the "Settings" icon, then "System Info" and then "System Version."
- If you see a button on this screen that says "System Update Available," select it. The software update will download and install, and the console will restart after the update is complete.
If either the game your playing or the console navigation is frozen, hold down the "Power" button on the LeapTV console until the device powers down. Wait for roughly 30 seconds and then restart the gaming system. If the problem continues, walk through the following steps to perform a hard reset on your LeapTV system:
- Power the gaming system on.
- Hold down "Sync." After a few seconds a green light starts blinking on the console Walk through the on-screen questions to reset your device to the original factory settings.
Pointer Not Working
- If your child says the pointer isn't working, test it for yourself to validate.
- Recalibrate the pointer using the Pointer Training Game available on the default LeapTV screen.
- The controller batteries may be depleted. Try replacing the 2 AA batteries to see if that resolves the problem.
- Ensure the controller is within working range of the LeapTV console, which is 6 ft.
- Walk through the instructions in the LeapTV Frozen section. The issue may not be with the pointer working, but rather the entire console may be frozen and locked up.
Do LeapPad games work on LeapTV?
LeapPad games do not work on the LeapTV gaming console. LeapPad games only work on LeapPad devices, but they do not work on LeapTV and vice versa.
Controller Won't Pair
Before you do anything you should make sure the controller has fresh batteries. Then walk through the following steps to pair the controller with your LeapTV:
- Hold down the "Home" and "Hint" buttons until the light on the controller change to be blue.
- Choose "Sync." The light at the bottom of the remote changes to be purple.
- When the purple light disappears, the controllers will be successfully paired and you're ready to start playing.
Add Player Profiles
- Choose to enter the "Parent" section when logging in to the console.
- Supply the parent passcode information.
- Choose "Edit Profiles."
- Click the plus sign icon and walk through the process to input all of the information associated with the new player profile you want to set up.
We've all been in the situation where we forget a passcode. Thankfully, the good folks at LeapFrog have made it easy on you if you're a parent who forgot the parental unlock code on your device. If you forgot the parent unlock passcode, you can key in 1, 9, 6, press backspace, and then enter 8 and 7. This will give you access to the Parent section where you can reset your passcode to something that you will remember, and make the necessary changes you were setting out to make.
© 2016 Max Dalton