I have been playing football manager since its inception on 1992. Football Manager is a series of football management simulation games developed by Sports Interactive (SIGames) and published by Sega. It was formally known as Championship Manager Series. On 2004, Sport Interactive split their partnership with Eidos Interactive. Sport Interactive retained their game codes while Eidos Interactive obtain their naming right. Since 2005, Sport Interactive has produced Football Manager Series (in America known as World Soccer Manager Series). The game is very addicting.
The latest installment is Football Manager 2010 which was released on October 2009. The following is the new features that included in the latest series:
- Games engine is much faster. Loading between the turn is improved from previous version.
- it also include match analysis which provide you comparison of shots, passes, crosses, headers, tackle from individual player. This can provide better understangin how your player perform during the match.
- Interaction between media is also improved. You can provide answer media question pre-match and post match. This is a huge improvement as well can be very painful since it will take away your time to manage your team. I usually delegate this feature to my assistant manager
- In games tactic can be deployed as well. You can shout various touchline instruction for certain player to improve the movement during the match. I don't find this feature much use though.
- You can also subscribe to various news according to your need such as world cup news or champion league news or your league news etc. You can follow various transfer issue.
- The game provide additional data editor which can be handy to help your team. You can edit your player in your team to perform better. I never use this feature though.
Please check my review: Top 10 Tips to Beat PC Games FM Football Manager 2011
Tips how to win in Football Manager
Couple tips on how to succeed in managing a team in Football Manager 2010:
- Buy low and sell high. I usually buy undervalue player and sell then player when he reached 28 years old.
- Find new younger player with great potential (age <20 years old). Typically, if you manage England team, try to find English player or Brazilian.
- Use consistent tactic. I have been playing with 4-4-2 formation. I have only tweak slightly if needed. look below for details.
- Hire more coaches to coach your current or younger player.
- Deploy your scout to various regions to find great player or great young player.
- Substitute any player that performs poorly during your match. Usually after 30 minute, you can check the player rating. If the player rating is 5.5 or below, you need to substitute this player as soon as possible. Usually this will improve your chance to win.
- Try to play narrow width if you play against any bigger team.
How did I fare in Football Manager 2010?
I have managed 2 teams so far, both teams achieved ultimate success. My first team is Manchester United. I managed the team for 31 years, I managed to win Premier League, Champion League, European Super cup, Club World Championship, FA Cup, League Cup etc for 30 years consecutively. I also become the England manager and managed to win World Cup and European Cup. My second team is Xerez on Liga BBVA. It took me 2 years to win the quadruple cup winner.
Football Manager Handheld
Football Manager handheld can be played on Playstation PSP and iPhone OS. Only 10 league countries can be played such as: Australia, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Netherlandsm Italy, Portugal, Scotland, and Spain.
Football Manager 2011
New Football Manager 2011 series will probably be released around October to 2011.
Great Player Attributes on various Position
How to manage National Team?
I have managed various national teams in Football Manager, you can manage one club and one national team concurrently in Football Manager. When I'm playing with Manchester United I was offered to manage Brazil & England team. When I play in Spainish league as Xerez, I was offered manager position for Italy, Spain, and French. I usually don't apply for this job. If you are winning many league cups as well as UEFA Champions League, you will be offered any of this national manager position instantly by the FA. The position usually will open after major cup such as World Cup or European Cup every 2-4 years. Most managers will get sack after poor perfomance in this major cup or the manager will resign by himself.
Managing national team is easy. I usually only use generic tactic such as 4-4-2 most of the time with 4-1-2-1-2 variation for defence if needed. One thing to keep in mind is to keep winning when you are managing the national team.
Managing the Brazil team is a challenge, you will need to win almost all the time. Any consecutive draw will force the FA to boot you from the team. I was fired when I drew by playing with Argentina, Bolivia and Peru. If you can stay away from Brazil national team. The FA is just too unreasonable I think.
If possible, try to manage the national team which you have the league selected such as If you are managing English League team, try to manage England. Usually there is more young talent in your league that you play with the exception of Brazil.
I usually don't select the national team player, I just ask a suggestion from my assitant manager to select the team. This option usually is available from time to time.
I mainly used a 4-4-2 formation with all defenders arrow down, winger arrow up, and 1 fast striker arrow down. The center back usually have man marking and rarely close down position. Other your back will be out of position whenever the other team counter attack your team. The passing is set to short, wide formation and quick tempo. Offside and counter attack is on.
I also use 4-1-2-1-2 formation when I'm still in Lower league with narrow width. Passing is set to direct.
Tips to win:
1. If you player perform poorly in the match, usually he will continuously play poorly. You should sub the player with new one especially if the rating is below 5.8. This is due to the player consistency is lacking. Note: Consistency is a hidden attribute but you will notice once you are playing in the match
2. Substitute players around 70 minutes with 75% or lower fitness.
3. Select your set up player based on their skill such as corner, free kick and penalty kick.
4. Don't change tactic because you are losing 1-0 or 2-1. Usually the engine will make the other team goalkeeper or striker like a god. None of your striker can score or none of your defender can defend. Nothing you can do but try to draw or lose in a low scoring game.
5. Try to slow down the play if you are winning 1-0 after 75 minutes. If you are losing the games by 0-1, try to speed up the game with push up defender line and select the more attacking style tactic etc.
6. If the opponent change formation to 5-2-3 or 5-3-2. Change one of your central defender to zone marking instead of man marking. This will prevent any through ball & long ball to be executed by the computer. You will notice the computer will play more direct and long ball passing with this defensive formation.
will add more later.
chan0512 (author) from Camarillo, CA on September 11, 2011:
I just tried Man Utd to optimize my tactic. I think the best way is to scout the right guy for your tactic. With lower league, I think you need to mix the 4-1-2-1-2 and 4-4-2. I have success with that. And try to get some good loan players if possible.
Random Guy on September 06, 2011:
You used Manchester United as your first team. I think it's pretty easy starting with them. I used your tactic but got murdered using the 4-4-2 in lower leagues like Level 10 and eventually the Northern Premier North Division 1 I was in (see Super Blademan's great expansion). I needed to use a 4-1-2-1-2 to really make any good cup runs.