Likely the first person you'll ever meet in Elden Ring, White-Faced Varré is kind, friendly, relatively polite, and helpful. But he's much more sinister than he seems, and Varré hides an agenda that will take you down a very bloody road if you choose to follow his advice.
This guide will take you through White-Faced Varré's questline in Elden Ring. It's not particularly long, and it will grant you access to a late-game area very early.
Step One - Meet Varré
You'll first meet Varré outside the Stranded Graveyard, the spot where you begin the game. He's standing near the Site of Grace of the same name, and will welcome you into the Lands Between. Recognizing you as Tarnished, Varré recommends that you set off on a journey to Stormveil Castle, to the north. This constitutes the first major step in your trip through Elden Ring.
Varré will remain by the Site of Grace until you've completed Stormveil Castle. If you return to him after beating Margit the Fell Omen and making a trip to Roundtable Hold he'll have new dialogue that sounds rather questioning of the people in the Hold. You can say what you like here, as the answer has no bearing on what comes next.
Step Two - Rose Church
Return to the Stranded Graveyard after defeating Godrick the Grafted, the ruler of Stormveil Castle. Varré will be gone, but he's left a message behind telling you to find him at Rose Church. He even provides some directions.
Rose Church is located in Liurnia of the Lakes, just south of the Academy of Raya Lucaria and directly east of the Minor Erdtree on the western cliffs. It's sort of sitting out on its own, on one of the larger islands, and if you follow the line of Sites of Grace from the southern entrance point of Liurnia of the Lakes you'll find the island by heading straight west from the Academy Gate Town Site of Grace. You'll know you've found the right place if you see a group of squat, pallid Albinaurics on the island.
Varré is standing outside the front door of Rose Church. When you speak to him he'll ask you again about Roundtable Hold and the Two Fingers. Choose "They didn't seem right" when prompted and Varré will reveal that he's not on their side. He'll then give you five Festering Bloody Fingers, and suggests you try them out.
Be careful around Rose Church. If you enter a Sanguine Noble will appear and attack you. These swift, deliberate creatures love to inflict Bleed damage, and it quickly piles up if you get hit too many times. Stay outside the church if you'd rather not take it on.
Step Three - Invasion
Festering Bloody Fingers are a multiplayer mechanic in Elden Ring. When you use a Festering Bloody Finger the game will look for players in the same area as you who have used a Furlcalling Finger Remedy to access multiplayer content, typically summoning friendly players to help them in dangerous areas. This also opens them up to the possibility of hostile invasions...
... and in this case, you're going to be the invader. Once the game connects you with another player of a similar level you'll be shot into their world, and your objective will be to kill the host through any means possible. Enemies will not react to you, and if the host has summoned aid of their own it's possible that another invader will show up. Invaders appear as red phantoms. Once either you or the host dies you'll be sent back to your own world.
Invade another world three times. You don't need to be successful, you just need to invade. Once you have, speak to Varré again at Rose Church and he'll reveal his true intentions, as well as who he really works for. Choose 'Anoint me' to proceed with the quest, when prompted.
Step Four - Find the Blood of a Maiden
Varré is happy with your service, and requests one final thing of you: He needs you to dip a Lord of Blood's Favor in the blood of a Finger Maiden. He's content with any Finger Maiden you can find.
This sounds as though you need to go out and kill someone, but such is not the case. All you need to do is go to the Church of Inhibition in northeastern Liurnia of the Lakes. Here's the quickest route there from Rose Church:
- Open the path to the Academy of Raya Lucaria. You'll need the Academy Glintstone Key to do this. The key is in the small nest of Glintstone Dragon Smarag, a boss who waits on the west side of the Academy of Raya Lucaria. The island is just north of the Temple Quarter Site of Grace.
- Once you have the key you can gain access to the main gate of the Academy. You can reach it either by going through the front door, accessible via the Academy Gate Town, or by using the teleporter in the Purified Ruins. The ruins are a short trip north of the Liurnia Lake Shore Site of Grace in the south of Liurnia of the Lakes.
- Enter the main gate of the Academy, then use the other gate at the entrance. It will shoot you to a road that leads to the Grand Lift of Dectus. Follow this road until you reach the Lift. Staying on the side of the road and passing through forests and fields is safer than staying directly on the road itself.
- Head south of the Grand Lift of Dectus. There's a path through the hills to the south that lead you to the Frenzied Flame Village. Along the way is a Frenzied Flame tower that will periodically fill up your Madness meter. Gallop through here as quickly as you can, ignoring all enemies.
- Once in the Frenzied Flame Village, head to the rear of the village and look for a hill leading north. This will take you to grasslands. The Church of Inhibition is a short trip northwest of here. Be careful on approach, as it's guarded by Festering Fingerprint Vyke, a powerful invader who will appear soon after you enter the area. Rush into the church and activate the Site of Grace before he can kill you.
- Interact with the dead maiden who's sitting near the church's statue. This will earn you the Finger Maiden Set, as well as bloody the cloth Varré gave you.
Return to Varré. He will congratulate you on your work and give you the Bloody Finger. This allows you to invade other worlds without consuming the item. Varré will also, after you speak to him a second time, give you the Pureblood Knight's Medal.
Step Five - Dynasty Mausoleum Entrance
Varré will regale you with praise for Mohg, Lord of Blood, his benefactor. He'll also tell you that the time is not ripe to meet with Mohg, and that his dynasty is still being prepared.
Ignore what Varré's saying and use the Pureblood Knight's Medal. This will teleport you to Mohgwyn Palace, a late-game side area deep below Caelid. This puts you on the path to meet - and fight - Mohg, though the chances that you can beat him early in the game are slim to nil. You'll show up near a Site of Grace, so make sure you activate it before you go anywhere in this dangerous area.
Proceed through Mohgwyn Palace until you reach the Dynasty Mausoleum Midpoint Site of Grace, just before the battle with Mohg. If you're coming here shortly after entering Liurnia of the Lakes you'll want to rush through the caves leading to this point, as the enemies here are way out of your league. Take a right when you hit an intersection, then go left and up around the gravestones in the larger room to escape. Activate the Site of Grace before something can kill you.
In the exit hall leading up to the Dynasty Mausoleum Midpoint Site of Grace is an invasion sign. This will allow you to invade the world of Varré. You'll find him inside the mausoleum's large chamber. Varré doesn't hit very hard, but his attacks build up Bleed and can wipe you out if you're not quick on your feet.
Defeating Varré will earn you a Furlcalling Finger Remedy and a Rune Arc. When you return to your own world Varré will be laying nearby. Speak to him until he dies. He'll leave behind six Festering Bloody Fingers and Varré's Bouquet. This pitiable end brings Varré's questline to a close.