We compiled this Boat Trivia Quiz several years ago, printed up copies and used it at a US Power Squadron rendezvous. Everyone had a great time. Since then, we have used it at several other gatherings of boaters - and even working in teams no one comes up with all the right answers. I would suggest if you allow internet access, impose a time limit to make it more challenging. All the answers are out there on the world wide web, but if you get in a pinch and really need help, send us a note. Have fun!!!!
PART 1 - BOATS IN LITERATURE
Name the boat featured in each of the following books:
1. Captain Hook’s ship in the novel “Peter Pan”
2. Captain Ahab’s Ship in the novel “Moby Dick”.
3. The ship that rescues Ishmael in the novel “Moby Dick”
4. Jason searched for the Golden Fleece in this ship.
5 Captain Nemo’s boat in “Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea”
6. Submarine from “Ice Station Zebra”
7. Boat from Robert Lewis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island”
8. “The Cruel Sea”
9. “The War of the Worlds”
10. “Billy Budd”
11. “The Riddle of the Sands”
12. “Captains Corageous”
13. The “Narnia" books by C.S. Lewis
14. “Survive the Savage Sea” – the true story of a shipwrecked family
15. The name of Tristan Jones’ boat during his “Incredible Voyage”.
16. “Two Years Before the Mast”
17. Tania Aebi’s took a “Maiden Voyage” around the world in this sloop
18. Robin Graham sailed alone around the world in this boat
19. Thor Heyerdahl’s raft for his 1947 expedition and his book’s title
20. Captain Slocum sailed “Around the World Alone” in this sloop.
PART 2 - TELEVISION
Name the boat featured in each of these TV shows:
21. "Mr. Lucky"
22. "McHale's Navy".
23. The houseboat that "Tammy” lived on
24. Burt Reynolds’ series "Riverboat"
25. "Adventures in Paradise"
26. The show "Oh Susanna” starring Gail Storm
27. "Mr. Roberts" boat
29. A short lived series was "Barrier Reef," what was the name the ship?
30. "Ensign O'Toole"
31. The submarine on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"
32. "Tugboat Annie"
33. "The Wackiest Ship in the Army"
35. The boat that was shipwrecked on "Gilligan's Island"
36. "The Aquanauts"
37. "The Love Boat"
38. "The Harbormaster”
39. Mike Nelson’s (played by Lloyd Bridges) boat on "Seahunt"
40. The submarine on “Operation Petticoat”
PART 3 - BOATS IN THE MOVIES
Name the boat featured in each of the following movies:
41. Rodney Dangerfield’s boat in “Caddyshack”
42. Judge Schmale’s boat in “Caddyshack”
43. Oceanographic research vessel in “The Life Aquatic”
44. Haunted Cruise Ship in the movie, “Ghost Ship”
45. Charles Bronson’s boat in the movie, “Seawolf”
46. “The Caine Mutiny"
47. “Gray Lady Down"
48. “Run Silent, Run Deep”
49. Captain Quint's fishing boat in “Jaws “
50. Cruise ship in “The Poseidon Adventure”
51. U.S. Submarine in “The Hunt for Red October”
52. The last US submarine in “On the Beach”
53. “Hellcats of the Navy“
54. “Down Periscope “
55. Johnny Depp’s boat in “Pirates of the Caribbean”
56. Small boat in the 1951 classic Bogart - Hepburn movie
57. Spanish schooner that was the site of a slave revolt
58. Sailboat commanded by “Captain Ron”
59. The sailboat in “Dead Calm”
60. Jeff Bridges’ sailboat in “White Squall”
61. German Boat sunk by the “African Queen”
62. In “Twilight for the Gods” the first steam ship to cross the Atlantic
63. Boat used as a floating atoll by Dennis Hopper in “Waterworld”
64. Chris Elliott served aboard her in “Cabin Boy”
65. John Candy’s Regatta Winner in “Summer Rental”
66. Russell Crowe’s boat in “Master and Commander”
67. Parker’s winning sailboat in the movie, “Wind”
68. Humphrey Bogart’s boat in “To Have and Have Not”
69. Boat that Steve McQueen served on in “Sand Pebbles”
70. Villain’s boat in the James Bond movie, “Thunderball”
PART 4 - BOATS IN HISTORY
Identify the following boats from past or recent history:
71. Luxury liner that collided with another liner off Nantucket in 1956.
72. One of the last sailing clippers. in dry dock at Greenwich, England.
73. Freighter that sank suddenly on Lake Superior in 1975
74. Ocean liner torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in 1915
75. Pilgrim Boat that landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620.
76. Columbus’ three ships that sailed the ocean blue in 1492
77.First two ironclads to battle during the Civil War.
78. Retired in 1967, and permanently docked at Long Beach, California .
79. The schooner operated by the Greenpeace organization.
80. On her maiden voyage, this unsinkable ship hit an iceberg and sank.
81. The tanker responsible for the 1989 oil spill in Prince William Sound.
82. The wreck of this ship is a memorial at Pearl Harbor
83. Last U.S. battleship and the site of the Japanese surrender in WWII
84. The ship that rescued the survivors of the Titanic on April 15, 1912
85. The ship that ignored Titanic’s distress signals
86. The boat on which naturalist Charles Darwin sailed.
87. Commander William Bligh’s vessel and site of a famous mutiny.
88. The oldest warship afloat and still in commission.
89. Captain Cook’s ship
90. The first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier
91. The pirate Blackbeard’s flagship.
92. US Presidential candidate Gary Hart was photographed on this yacht
93. John F. Kennedy commanded this vessel in World War II
94. The name that Dwight Eisenhower gave the presidential yacht
95. John F. Kennedy changed the name of the presidential yacht to this
96. Shackleton’s Antarctic expedition boat.
97. Francis Scott Key watched “the rocket’s red glare” on this ship
98. Fishing boat lost at sea during the “Perfect Storm” in October 1991.
99. First nuclear submarine
100. Jacques Cousteau’s research boat
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE BOATING LINKS
- BoatUS Home Page
BoatUS provides services such as boat insurance, towing, boat and RV loans, consumer protection, and boat lettering to recreational boaters nationwide.
- United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education
Members of the United States Power Squadrons believe in safe boating thru education, civic service, and having fun on the water.
Mary on January 23, 2019:
This perfect for our yacht club cruise in! If anyone is still monitoring this post, I would love to receive the answers! pbobucketgmail.com
Loretta on June 29, 2017:
We are planning a Power Squadron Rendezvous in July & wanted to play a Boating Trivia game. Found your quizz and it is just what we had in mind! Can you forward the answer sheet to me?
SANDY on February 01, 2017:
Laulee on July 04, 2016:
Hi!! We are hosting a Trivia Pursuit sailboat event, and would LOVE the answers! THANKS!
Christy Edwards on May 14, 2016:
I too would like the answers. Thank you. christy
Captain Ed on February 22, 2016:
I would love to have a copy of the answers if it wouldn't be too much trouble. These would work great on the daily cruisers net I host.
Thank you in advance,
captained AT gmail.com
Jim on January 21, 2016:
Please send a copy of the answers to:
Cliff Kiyooka on January 20, 2016:
Your trivia quiz will be great for our Boating Club here on Mayne Island, BC, Canada. www.mayneislandboaters.org
Would appreciate it if you could also email me the answers.
stephanie on April 16, 2015:
Can you please email me the quiz answers? my email is sepharim at hotmail.com. Thanks!
Bonnie Allen on August 22, 2014:
My email is Bonnieallen 1982@YAHOO.COM
Bonnie Allen on August 22, 2014:
This is a great game. Would you please send me the an answer sheet also Thank-you
Tracey West on July 28, 2014:
I would like to use this quiz with some friends next week. Please could you send me the answers?
LauraT123 on February 09, 2014:
These categories are awesome! I've definitely been inspired. Between you and TriviaPacks.com, we are going to have some great categories put together for our 4-H trivia night and I'll be done planning in no time. Thank you!
Frank Sachs on July 30, 2013:
I am the Fleet Caprain of our yacht club and would like to use these questions at our weekly boaters' luncheons. Could you please send me the answers.
Ruth Sargent on June 06, 2013:
Can't wait to test the members at our yacht club. Please send me the answers.
Lew on May 23, 2013:
Great lot of questions to stir the salty brain of fellow yachties. Answers please to
Niki on February 19, 2013:
Please email me the answers please.
Tom Rodgers on November 29, 2012:
Great trivia questions.
Sure would like to use this for our next boat club meeting. Can I impose on you for the answers? Thank you in advance.
Stephanie on November 06, 2012:
Can you send me the answers? Thanks!! firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com on August 27, 2012:
What a great quiz. I am hosting a group of boat owners in late Sept. I would love to use your quiz. Could you please send the quiz and answers Please.
Lauren on August 17, 2012:
firstname.lastname@example.org answers please and awesome quiz!
Charlotte on August 08, 2012:
I'd love to use this quiz with our boating group. I'm requesting permission to use your work....and would appreciate the answers as well.
What a great idea to put this together! Well done.
Paulette on June 12, 2012:
would love the answers too...can you please email them to email@example.com?
Thank you in advance....
Martin Boyer on June 04, 2012:
i am a dealer and we would love to have the answers to these trivia questions for our facebook and twitter trivia questions of the week! email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maureen on June 01, 2012:
Hi, Love this! May I also have the answers.
Debbie on May 20, 2012:
Hi, could I have answers too please
Pat G on April 19, 2012:
Hi from NZ. I am running a Mid Winter Xmas Party and Nautical Trivia Night for my Yacht Club. Could you please email me the answers. I might get keel hauled if I get one wrong!
Terri on April 13, 2012:
Would you please send me the answers for Boat Trivia Quiz 83? We are using a Cruise Ship theme for our Administrative Professionals Luncheon this year at Saint Francis University, and these questions would be great! Thank you! email@example.com
Nick Jones on March 15, 2012:
What a great looking quiz. It is my brother in law's 50th birthday this weekend and being ex-navy he'd love it. Would you be able to send me the answers please?
slim on March 12, 2012:
Darn I found it anyway. The name of the boat in 'To Have and Have Not' was 'Pilar'.
slim on March 12, 2012:
Just got through watching to have and have not. I don't recall the name of the boat ever being mentioned. I'd rather know who made it.
Robyn on March 08, 2012:
I used this trivia test at a party with about 200 people. It was such a big hit! Thank you!
Saundra on March 03, 2012:
This is fabulous. I am hosting a golf tournament and the theme is cruising and would like to use this.
Can you email me the answers?
Karen on February 24, 2012:
Please can I have cheat sheet too? Email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Darryl on February 24, 2012:
What a great quiz. I know some of the answers. Please could you send them. Thanks so much.
pinky on February 20, 2012:
I would really appreciate if you can send me the answers. Thanks.
Ives1961 on February 06, 2012:
Hi there- please send me the answers to this quiz- I am organising a quiz night at my local canal club and so its a good theme!- thanks :)
Terry Willis on February 02, 2012:
Would love to have the answers to this trivia. Could you please send them to me?
Bill Boyer on January 19, 2012:
Please send answers to the trivia questions. We are having a Nordic Tugs Rendezvous and this would be good for some dinner entertainment.
sandi Poystila on January 15, 2012:
hi, love this quiz... can you send me the answers to all of the above?
Sue on December 26, 2011:
Hi,I;m organising a cruise week theme in an aged care facility.If you could email me the answer sheet to email@example.com it would really be appreciated.
MEL on December 01, 2011:
I would appreciate the answers
Ned Kelly on October 21, 2011:
Hi, I'm organising a quiz night in Marmaris yacht marina (penalty for winning last weeks quiz!) I would appreciate the answer sheet. Thanks firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark on October 11, 2011:
I am doing a fundraiser Trivia Quiz and would love the answer sheet.
If you could email the answer sheet to email@example.com it would be greatly appreciated.
Marty on September 12, 2011:
Would love the answers..........
Brian Killin on August 31, 2011:
We are preparing a rally quiz for the Berowra Waters Motor Yacht Club and would be delighted to receive a set of the answers please firstname.lastname@example.org
hwmcgrath on August 19, 2011:
I would love the answer key, email@example.com
SilverBullet on August 17, 2011:
Can I please get the answer key? firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com on August 11, 2011:
please send answers! thanks
We are boating organization and love the questions.
Lauren on August 07, 2011:
We're hosting a marina bbq and would like to use this fun trivia quiz. Please forward answers to:
pgicruiser on July 18, 2011:
I would greatly appreciate a copy of the answers to use for our boat club.
Thank you. firstname.lastname@example.org
solitaire (author) from Afloat on July 18, 2011:
pgicruiser - I need your email address and I'll send the answers right out.
pgicruiser on July 18, 2011:
I would like a copy of the answers to use for our boat club. Thank you.
Kelsey on July 04, 2011:
Could I have the answer sheet as well?
I'm creating a Internet Hunt for children and I'd love to know the answers to these!
Jessica on June 03, 2011:
I work for a radio station that does morning trivia and these questions would be great to ask!
If you could e-mail me the answer sheet it would be great! email@example.com
Cheryl on May 10, 2011:
What a great selection of questions! Could you email the answer sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kerikeri Cruising Club, New Zealand. House & Social thanks you
Maddie on May 04, 2011:
Love it! Could you please send the answer sheet? email@example.com
Steve Morgan on April 24, 2011:
Great quiz. Could you please email the answer sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org
malcolm on April 13, 2011:
I'd love to have the answersheet - can you email to email@example.com?
Jes on March 22, 2011:
Could you please email me the answer sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for posting this-it's awesome!!
Taylor on February 08, 2011:
I'd love to see the answers. email@example.com
Margaret Pell on January 27, 2011:
Answers please so that I can use the quiz at my Cruising Club...to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jo Scott on January 25, 2011:
could you please send me the answers, I'm editor of a boatclub newsletter and these might be handy to put a few at a time in to fill in pages and give the members something think about! email@example.com
Lisa Hudson on January 17, 2011:
Please can you send me the answer sheet, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, such a great quiz.
Coffee.email@example.com on December 19, 2010:
This would be great for our neighbourhood get-togethers! Could you please send me the answer sheet?
Laurie on December 08, 2010:
Please send me the answers. This is the best I've found!
Sherryl on November 15, 2010:
What a great quiz! Can't wait to ask my sister, the English teacher, the ones from literature.
I would love to see the answer sheet - could you send it to firstname.lastname@example.org?
solitaire (author) from Afloat on November 07, 2010:
A Gould - I tried to send the answers to you at the address you gave, but it got returned. How about sending me an email to email@example.com and we'll try it that way.
A Gould on November 07, 2010:
Could you please send me the answers to your trivia quiz.
Thanks very much
firstname.lastname@example.org on October 16, 2010:
great boating questions, could I get an answer sheet.
mel on October 15, 2010:
can u please email me the answers my nursing home where i work is doing a cruise theme. email address is email@example.com
joe ashforth on October 09, 2010:
could you please let me have a copy of the answers.
patrick on October 01, 2010:
Great questions! Could you email me the answers? My email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you so much!
Jenny Hall on September 14, 2010:
I am a recreation officer at a retirement hostel for Wesley Mission. To entertain the residents the theme this week will be sailing on a cruise ship. We intend to have a trivia quiz for the residents that is fun. Please forward the cheat sheet asap to email@example.com. Many thanks, Jenny
Steve on August 29, 2010:
I loved you trivia but I would also love to cheat with your answers please.................
solitaire (author) from Afloat on August 22, 2010:
The name of the boat that they used to sail up the Niger River was Calliope. It was a Hunton 43 Gazelle.
The military river patrol boats were made by VT Halmatic, a boat building company in Great Britian.
If you are talking about the boat they discovered in the sand, that was the CSS Texas - an iron clad from the civil war. Here is a link about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Texas
Carlos on August 21, 2010:
I am trying to find outr what type of boat miltary boat was used in the movie sahara
Joanne on August 18, 2010:
Wonderful quiz which at first looked easy, but alas........could you please send the answers in email? Thanks so much.
Dawn on August 18, 2010:
Hey, great quiz!! Could you send the answers to firstname.lastname@example.org?
solitaire (author) from Afloat on August 18, 2010:
Answers are on the way to both Marina Mike and lepinc.
email@example.com on August 16, 2010:
would love to use this in a mental "scavenger hunt" at our yacht club - would you please email the answers? Thank you
Marina Mike on August 12, 2010:
Please forward answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sally on August 07, 2010:
Great quiz! Please forward answers to email@example.com.
GBC on July 26, 2010:
Please forward answers on to firstname.lastname@example.org
solitaire (author) from Afloat on July 13, 2010:
What a great idea Curt. The Boat Trivia answers are on their way to you. Be sure to let us know what you end up naming your boat.
Curt on July 13, 2010:
Would love to get the answers,I'm searching for a boat name...thx
solitaire (author) from Afloat on June 17, 2010:
April - I need your email address. Thanks
april on June 16, 2010:
can you send us the answers as well..that would be great!
solitaire (author) from Afloat on May 29, 2010:
Answers are on their way to you right now. Have fun.
Kay on May 28, 2010:
Hi this is super, any chance of the answers this am? big ask I know. email@example.com
solitaire (author) from Afloat on May 16, 2010:
Yes, I'll be glad to send you the answers Dennis. I just need to have your email address.
Dennis Rogers on May 16, 2010:
Hi - Super quiz - I want to use it at my boat club's social night - can I have the answers please?
Fergal on May 02, 2010:
great quiz, can you send me the answers,Thanks
Betsy on May 01, 2010:
Can you also send me the answers? We're hosting a class quizbee abour ships. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura DiFusco on April 25, 2010:
Can you please send me the answers ASAP. Needed for a simululated cruise to Mexico at a hospital for patient activity. email@example.com
Kelly Kline Burnett from Madison, Wisconsin on April 24, 2010:
Wonderful Hub! Amazing amount of information. I am writing about boats - will be sure to link back to you. Thank you very much!
Jerry Turley on April 21, 2010:
I'd love to puzzle my fellow Auxies. Please seand a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kevin in Wallaceburg on April 08, 2010:
Kevin in Wallaceburg on April 08, 2010:
I too would like to be added to the list of those that would like a list of the answers please. It will be used for the canadian power and sail squadrons, southwestern ontario district rendevous. Thank you.
Laura on April 06, 2010:
Please can you forward answers - off on a narrow boating holiday and would love to use this quiz for a rainy day! Cheers! Laura - email@example.com