I write about many subjects typically surrounding my kids, including fundraising, gifts for children, vacations, and Boy Scouts.
What is Wordle?
Wordle is a daily word puzzle that you can find in the New York Times. The concept is very similar to the game Master Mind, except instead of using colors you are using letters. The goal of the puzzle is to guess a five-letter word within six chances. After each guess, you will know if you have the right letter in the right space (highlighted in green), the right letter in the wrong space (highlighted in yellow), or a letter that doesn't exist in the puzzle (highlighted in gray or no highlights). When you guess the right word, all five letters will be highlighted in green (like the 3rd line above).
Sounds easy doesn't it? Well, it really is if you follow a few steps I use.
Wordle Step 1 - Your First Word
Step 1 in your Wordle strategy is to use the same word as your first word. Not really sure why people just type a random word every time but some do. Similar to Wheel of Fortune where vowels rule, your first word should have at least three vowels. Most five-letter words have no more than two vowels, so the odds are, you will know at least one vowel after the first word. The other two letters in your first word should be in most common category: R, S, T, L, N. For those Wheel of Fortune watchers, this will be familiar. You'll have to come up with your own word here, but mine has three vowels and two of the consonants above.
Wordle Step 2 - The Second Word
Step 2 in your Wordle strategy is determined by the results of the first word.
- No matches on any of the first letters, have a second word in mind that doesn't repeat letters from the first word and uses the remaining vowels and more of the Wheel of Fortune consonants.
- No vowel matches from the first word, use the remaining vowels in the second word.
- No consonants matches, use as many of the consonants, R, L, N, S, T in your next word.
- Letter in the wrong place, make sure your next word has the letter in a different place.
- This may be obvious, don't repeat a letter that was flagged as not being in the word.
Wordle Step 3 - The remaining words
Step 3 in your Wordle strategy is to repeat step 2.
- Do not repeat letters that have been flagged as not in the puzzle.
- A letter can be used more than once in the puzzle, so on your third word, begin thinking about words that use two of the same letter. I haven't seen a word with three of the same letter like 'LEVEE'. That would be a bit cruel.
- Don't get discouraged. Your friend that keeps getting the word on the first try is cheating.
Where Can I Play Wordle?
Do a Bing or Google search on 'Wordle Word Puzzle'. I use a site a trust, the New York Times site, https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle.