Boredom: we’ve all experienced it in one form or another. The trick is figuring out creative, constructive (and fun!) ways of getting past it. Here’s a list of things that you can do when you’re bored for any reason, like when you’re waiting for something (like a surprise or for someone you love to call or show up) or when you’ve just got nothing to do all day and a lot of time to do it in.
1. Take a walk
2. Type random things into a search engine (like google)
3. Write poetry
4. Spend some time on Stumbleupon
5. Play drums on a table, counter or box. Try to do awesome drum solo type tricks.
6. Teach yourself a few words in another language
7. Design a class that you could teach to show others how to do something you already know how to do.
8. Watch funny/sad/science/ etc. videos online
9. Read a book
10. Go look for butterflies
11. Take pictures of flowers
12. Dance (with or without music)
13. Make yourself a sandwich
14. Lean back and put your feet up on the wall
16. Call relatives or friends you haven’t talked to in a long time
17. Draw something (even if you don’t normally draw)
18. Clean something
19. Make designs with mustard
20. Do some sit ups or jumping jacks
21. Build (or add to) a blog on a site like Wordpress or Blogger.
22. Experiment in the kitchen and try to create something new
23. Line up empty soda cans and throw rocks at them
24. Teach yourself to type faster.
25. Modify a piece of clothing to make it more awesome
26. Read something passionately to yourself (To be, or NOT TO BE!)
27. Find an online forum where you can meet other people who are bored.
28. Lay on the rug and move yourself around in circles with your feet.
29. Build action and/or sci-fi movie props out of cardboard
30. Check your email inbox relentlessly.
31. Find a stranger to flirt with (even if you don’t think it will go anywhere, it will make them feel good getting the attention.)
32. Give someone a hug.
33. Write a book (This guide shows you how to do it in 8 hours.)
34. Create a series of crazy situations, then diagram out what you would do to escape/overcome them.
35. Dress up a pet.
36. Dream up new ways to use the time when you’re normally bored to make money
37. Create a new invention.
38. Fix something that needs to be fixed.
39. Watch the clock and see how many words you can say in one second.
40. Look around your home and find things to sell or throw away.
41. Contemplate the enormity of space.
42. Tell someone who doesn’t know it that you love them.
43. Find ways to be smarter.
44. Work on improving your natural awareness
45. Make jewelry/necklaces out of whatever you can find.
46. Work on improving your reflexes
47. Stand up for a the rights of a group of people who are being oppressed.
48. Make up new words and give them definitions.
49. Play around on Free Rice
50. Paint something.
51. Draw on yourself
52. Play some free flash games online.
53. Make something out of paperclips
54. Volunteer your time helping people (either at a location or people you know)
55. Teach yourself a new skill (like how to use photoshop or how to play an instrument)
56. Construct creative metaphors
57. Sing and try to hold a note for a long time
58. Join/attend a LARP group
59. Build a time capsule
60. Observe an insect to see what it does and where it goes.
61. Throw a party (or a potluck)
62. Write a letter to someone in government telling them to change something that bugs you.
63. Pick up litter and throw it away.
64. Build a secret passage, cubby, doorway or box of some kind to hide stuff in.
65. Read a piece of classic literature.
66. Visit this sponsor (and help a starving artist in the process!):
67. Create your own RPG or board game.
68. Dig for treasure
69. Put a bunch of words in a bag, box or hat and draw them out at random to make a poem.
70. Research a local urban legend (or create your own!)
71. Interview someone’s grandparents
72. Look for lessons on how to do something on Youtube. Watch and learn!
73. Do some gardening.
74. Come up with a top ten list. The items on it could be anything!
75. Go watch a movie
76. Go somewhere and pretend to seriously believe that all feats of technology are actually MAGIC!
77. Run down the aisles at a store and pretend to be batman
78. Play Kingdom of Loathing (www.kingdomofloathing.com)
79. Do karaoke
80. Write a list of things you like about someone, then leave it where they can find it.
81. Write a list of interesting facts about yourself
82. Put on an alter ego for a while (pretend to be someone else!)
83. Perfect your action roll
84. Go pole vaulting
85. Go sky diving
86. Lay on your chest on a bed, put a fan so it blows at your face, close your eyes and pretend that you’re flying.
87. Teach yourself to juggle
88. Memorize some famous quotes
89. Worship a person who is important to you (in print!) and send it to them.
90. Try to write a story using as few words as possible.
91. Give your voice machine or voicemail a funny new message/greeting.
92. Take an imaginary person on a dinner date. Hilarity ensues.
93. Take a person out to a meal who would really appreciate it.
94. Speak only gibberish for a day
95. Construct a song, a symphony, an opera or any other kind of musical performance.
96. Call a food and/or beverage customer service hotline and ask them why they put high fructose corn syrup in their food/drink.
97. Catch up on much needed paperwork and/or do your taxes early.
98. Take random surveys and quizzes. Post the results publicly.
99. Spin around in a chair
100. Make an account/profile on every site like Myspace, Friendster and Facebook that you can find. Play games, add random people and talk to them.
101. Make a list of things to do when you’re bored.
SillyGiLlY on October 30, 2020:
Thank youuuuuuuuu! I'm bored out of mind until this came along--
Orson on September 08, 2020:
Didn't really help
SUPRIT KAUR on June 25, 2020:
Hub pages gives me a lot ways to time pass within this lock down so I also sometimes follow these things ☺️
person on May 04, 2020:
this did not help
if youer stell bord go to this wedsite
dope on April 16, 2020:
dope site dude!!!!!
ABDULLAH HASSAN SUBHANI from Pakistan Asia on April 13, 2020:
Go Read Newly Published Article.You gonna Enjoy Hopefully
Your mom on April 12, 2020:
I still don’t know what to do
Princess on April 11, 2020:
It was helpful. Thanks a lot.
Bored human on April 08, 2020:
Uh hi on March 25, 2020:
Binge YouTube is great too
Rosalia Mine on March 10, 2020:
2. Type random things into a search engine (like google)
Why do you think I'm here?
A HOOMAN on March 07, 2020:
This was rather pretty helpful though none of those really kept me entertained. So there is only one more thing to do! Read Other Comments. Sadly this was not put there, But I didn't get bored reading all the things I could've done! Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.
Thatguy on March 04, 2020:
Reading comments makes me not bored!
Gamerbot6009 on February 27, 2020:
person on December 24, 2019:
none of those things I like to do!
AgentVoyd on November 06, 2019:
Great list :)
yeet on March 29, 2019:
my wife left me after 57?!?!?! idk what i did wrong but she said her ears were bleeding plz help
duck on September 15, 2018:
Hope it works out well
Weirdo on November 10, 2017:
I'm still bored... time to watch Netflix and chill...
Madison on June 23, 2017:
I'm still bored
Timmy turner on April 03, 2017:
I like it
SpaceCow on July 01, 2016:
Turn on AC or fan. See how many articles of clothing you can wear at once. Pretend you're a catapillar and come out as a butterfly.
Manvi Sethi on June 19, 2016:
Awesome list! Loving all the ideas for passing time and gotta try each one of them. WELDONE.
chicksareawesome on April 21, 2012:
great list now i look forward to being bored:)
klunk3549 on February 20, 2012:
Being bord is not fun so if I were bored I would make a chart of how many seconds it takes to make that chart
fgg on January 12, 2012:
gr8 list.. even reading this tips itself a time pass
Kathy from New Jersey , USA on November 24, 2010:
LeonJane from Australia on May 30, 2010:
Great list!, I like your No 28, lay on a rug and turn yourself in circles. I'd add: Tease your cat until it runs away from you with it's tail in the air.
Jeff Berndt from Southeast Michigan on May 30, 2010:
Great Hub, Earl!
Funny story: I'm in the middle of reading this over my morning tea, and my wife comes into the room. I tell her, "I'm reading a list of 101 things to do when you're bored," and shared a couple with her. She got a kick out of the "pretend you're flying" one, and asked, "Is one of them 'Write a list of things to do when you're bored?'" I said, I don't know yet, but I really hope that's number 101."