How can we classify an object as collectible? Simple. If it's something of value to the collector, then it's worth collecting. Once a person sees something rare or valuable in an object, he can opt to collect it and from there its value rises, may not be commercially but from the collector's perspective. Some collectors would collect because of business. They would collect rare and priceless objects, which in the future may entail a higher value and can be sold at significant amount. Some collectors would collect for fun. The objects they are collecting may not have good market value but at least they are happy collecting it.
"One's trash can be another's treasure..." - Annonymous
10 Popular things to collect
- Stamps - this is the most common collection item that people loves to collect. It is popular among collectors whether novice or professionals because of the photos in it, like the leaders of different countries, famous historical landmarks, flags, famous artists, heroes, and other celebrities. It is one of the easiest collectible items to find as well. My parents have a whole album with stamps from different countries.
- Coins - like the stamps, coins are famous among collectors. One possible reason is that coins evolve fast. Aside from that, the older the coin is, the more valuable it is because more minerals were used to make old coins. They can also come in different forms, sizes, or colors, so I really find this interesting and fun to collect. I myself have coin collection and I show them to my kids.
- Birds - there are collectors who want birds as their collection. One good reason is that there are a lot of rare birds and beautiful birds that can be collected may it be alive or preserved. Collectors will have to be careful though as there are laws protecting endangered species in different countries.
- Reptiles - reptiles are quite famous as well because of its looks. They are believed to be descendants of dinosaurs, so it's interesting to have a collection of it. Most of the time, they are collected preserved rather than alive. Like birds, one has to be careful when collecting due to laws protecting wildlife.
- Insects and butterflies - there are collectors of insects and butterflies. Since there are so many varieties, it is nice to watch how they behave, look at their colors and their forms, especially the rare ones.
- Books or Comic books - this is also one of the most interesting thing to collect. If you have a collection of books, it's like you have the world's best minds in your own personal library. Others also want to have comic books as their collection specially those popular issues and limited edition released by publishers.
- Action figures - these are popular nowadays, especially when a famous movie release a plastic or ceramic version of their characters. It would be nice to have your favorite movie character beside your bed, or in your glass cabinet ready to amaze your visitors.
- Post cards or pictures - it's good to have a collection of post cards or pictures coming from all over the globe. Having this collection makes you bring the whole world's beautiful places in your album.
- Wine - there are collectors who wants to have different kinds of wine in their cellar or bar. It would also be great if those wine came from different parts of the world. Some collect the bottle because of the different shapes and designs which attract their audience.
- Phone card - there are collectors who find phone cards as a collectible item. This is because of the different designs on different phone cards which changes from time to time. Most phone companies don't repeat the same design, so it would really be nice to get every design from the start or you won't get the chance to have it.
I would like to add stuffed toys, but I only said 10 popular things in the title, so I'll keep it for myself :)
- Creative LEGO Storage Ideas for a Growing Collection - Cool Containers, Buckets, Bins and Displays
Don't let your collection of LEGOs become a problem. There are several creative storage ideas for your sets.
- 2013 Collection: unforgettably unusual Father’s Day greetings and ads
A collection of humorous Father's Day greeting cards and ads
Joseph J. Young on September 13, 2018:
I collect mechanical calculators and the finest version of the breed is the extraordinary Curta made up of more than 600 parts. Only million dollar watches come close to the precision of a Curta. Only 80,000 were made after WWll by Kurt Herstark in Liechtenstein. Feed your inner geek and find one, but they were used and not all are in great condition.
JKSophie (author) from Philippines on January 30, 2014:
The name dinosaur comes from the Greek words deinos (“terrible” or “fearfully great”) and sauros (“reptile” or “lizard”). Dinosauria was formally named in 1842 by paleontologist Sir Richard Owen, who used it to refer to the "distinct tribe or sub-order of Saurian Reptiles" that were then being recognized in England and around the world. I agree that birds are descendants of dinosaurs. They originated from another lineage of dinosaurs known as theropods.
But hey, so much on the origin of species, this hub is about popular things to collect.
Julie on January 15, 2014:
Reptiles are NOT descendants of dinosaurs, and no one who knows anything about either would think otherwise. Birds, however, are descendants of dinosaurs.
Beth xx on November 01, 2013:
I collect 1ps xx
heehee on January 05, 2013:
I collected Pokémon Cards, marbles, bouncy balls, gemstones and stickers growing up.
lily on October 28, 2012:
i have 5 collections
23ee on May 30, 2012:
i collect girlfriends pictures, and hide it in a really safe box.
des on April 25, 2012:
i collect books! and I want to have my own library..
nick on April 11, 2012:
i collect money , new & old
amelia on April 10, 2012:
When I went to wilkinsons I found this mint rubber so now I collect rubbers!!!
Leilani on March 17, 2012:
Ever since i was 7 i collected every birthday, easter, christmas, valentines, etc....card i ever got! I even have pieces of paper my friends or family wrote too me. I have tons of memories like my first girls scout bracelet. Now that i am 12 i have tons of cards and memories i hang up on my walls, on my dresser mirror, and in a shoe box.
whats up on February 21, 2012:
I collect coins they are fun to collect
legitness on February 10, 2012:
Trading cards and autographs
xany on January 04, 2012:
i collect barbedwire
B on December 18, 2011:
Kaite on August 27, 2011:
I collect coins and bottles :) And as a kid, I used to collect rocks. I had more rocks in my drawers than clothes!
ramphul on August 26, 2011:
It is fun to collect things.from my childhood i collected stone which i put in my study room.I consider this auspicious.
ooohyh on April 13, 2011:
i collect stones i find around the place but now i am thinking to collect more things and i think keychains is a really good idea.
keva!!!!!! on January 07, 2011:
I collect keychains fun to keep i also collect soda cans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Desi on January 04, 2011:
I collect antique looking pencil sharpeners. I think they are really neat and only one of my friends look at them and find them interesting. My dad started me ast year when I was 12, before that I always thought that pencils were cool. I also collect coins. I got a prrof set on my birth year, it had a half dollar, quarter, dime, nickel, and a penny.
JKSophie (author) from Philippines on August 31, 2010:
I used to do that when I was small, zazy, but my mom threw them away
zazy on August 28, 2010:
I collect stones that I find interesting... also shells and stickers.
Karcookie on June 29, 2010:
I collect Keychains and i was looking for one more thing to collect. many people gift me keychains all the time. I love it!!
mplas on November 30, 2009:
Now, collecting periodicals is much more valuable than collecting comic books.
kayla on August 13, 2009:
i collect cups because their always different and you can say their fragile but i also collect rocks.
JKSophie (author) from Philippines on January 26, 2009:
I would consider movies and songs as collections. Anything can qualify, what matters is that you enjoy having and keeping them. Anyway, "One's junk maybe a treasure to others" as the saying goes.
Om Prakash Singh from India, Calcutta on January 25, 2009:
what about collecting some really good movies and songs? Actually I developed this habit very recently ...... would you suggest these things as collection items?
Jordan on November 26, 2008:
These sound cool. I collect soda cans.
JKSophie (author) from Philippines on October 26, 2008:
That's good! I collect coins by the way, a few of them are on the picture shown above. :-)
kpfingaz from ~~~ on October 26, 2008:
I collect phone cards and have some really good ones I imagine not many people have.