I love to read and write about health and nutrition, contents related to healthy cooking, general studies, motivational stories, etc,.
Many of us like to have a heavy breakfast in the morning, so that one may feel energetic for the whole day. And what we normally do is, often end up with taking oily and fatty items in the name of breakfast. Few of us, take just liquid items like milk, tea, coffee, fruit juices etc., not taking proper calories. Actually, most people don't eat properly in the morning. Avoiding breakfast in the morning, or consuming oily and saturated fatty foods in the name of breakfast makes you dull for the whole day. Either way it's not good. Even, if we know that we should have a nutritious breakfast such as boiled vegetables, sprouts, fruits, etc., we don't consume it just because we don't have enough time to cook or prepare our breakfast or we don't like its taste. Usually, we don't know how making a delicious, healthy breakfast with minimal efforts and time. A healthy breakfast is necessary specially to keep you recharged for the whole day.
Nowadays, the working class is heading towards unhealthy eating habits due to their busy lifestyle, which would lead to a life full of diseases in the very beginning of old age.
So, keeping the above points in my mind. I have come up with such a recipe that gives you not only proper calories and nutrition, but also taste and can be easily prepared. It would not be wrong to say " eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper! One must eat 50 - 60 % of all their daily calories at breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So, here I am with you to give you a healthy, nutritive, a yummy-tummy breakfast! This is the time when one should eat substantial foods. I have used black chickpeas (not so black, they are slightly brown) and potatoes as the main ingredients in my recipe. Besides, being delicious it makes you energetic and provides the feeling of fullness, satiates your hunger. Not only at breakfast, the dish can also be taken as evening snacks.
So, I am ready! Let us start with the ingredients.
- 2 cups sprouted black chickpeas (brown chick peas), boiled
- 1 bowl boiled potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- black salt, powdered
- common salt
- garam masala, optional, you can avoid
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 bowl (small) tomatoes, (optional) finely chopped
- 1/2 bowl (small) onions, (optional) finely chopped
- few coriander leaves, finely chopped
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Heat oil in a pan and then add few cumin seeds. After they get crackled, add ginger garlic paste and saute them for a minute.
- Now add chopped boiled potatoes and boiled grams to the pan. Stir them for two minutes and then add common salt, black salt as per your taste and stir.
- Remove pan from the heat source and take out the mixture in a separate container and then add two tablespoon lemon juice.
- Sprinkle black pepper powder and mix well.
- Then garnish with finely chopped tomatoes, onions, and coriander leaves and serve it.
Try dish with variations of taste
- You can add fresh curd with cumin (jeera) powder and a little salt to the dish. It enhances the taste, further curd is digested. It can also be taken as evening snacks.
- If you don't want to add curd or lemon juice, you can eat with tomato sauce or tomato puree.
- You can also add pomegranate seeds to enhance the taste.
- You can try this variation too. Add finely chopped and steamed vegetables such as cabbage and carrots with finely chopped raw onions and fresh baby tomatoes with a pinch of black pepper powder and black salt.
- You can sprinkle roasted sesame seeds, rich in beneficial minerals such as copper, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, etc., to the chaat to enhance flavor and its nutritional value.
- If you like you can add sprouted mung beans (green grams) too with chopped onions and fresh pomegranate seeds to have some different taste and make it more nutritive and fibrous.
- You can also use Aloo Chana Chaat as good stuffing for Indian Golgappas or Panipuri (Gupchup) in evening snacks.
In this way, you can try Aloo Chana Chaat with different flavors. Sprouted grams and the boiled Potatoes are better options for a healthy breakfast. You can try the same recipe only with Black Chickpeas without adding potatoes.
- Do not hard boil the sprouted gram, otherwise, it may lose its nutrients.
- Use a little oil for the cooking dish.
- Don't overcook the dish as the grams and potatoes are already boiled or steamed.
- Use the medium flame to prepare the dish.
Know what you eat
Here, I am giving the approximate nutritional value for boiled, cooked grams and potato dish, below. I have used two tablespoons of sunflower oil in it. 1 tablespoon cooking oil contains about 120 calories and total fat 13.6 g. In about 100 grams of boiled potatoes, calories from fat are less than 1 g while total calories are 86. So you can see the big calorie difference between 100 grams of boiled potatoes, and merely 1 tablespoon of oil. So be aware of, how much quantity of oil you are using while preparing any dish. Fat is a great cause of increasing obesity, but a little amount of fat is also needed in our daily diet as certain vitamins like vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K are soluble in fats only. So, consume fats but with a little care. Further, I have used boiled chana or black chickpeas in my recipe. 100 grams of boiled chana contains about 164 calories. One more thing, how much amount of salt you are using also matters, don't use excess salt. Prefer a low sodium diet. 1 teaspoon salt contains about 2325 mg sodium. I have used chopped tomatoes and onions too. 100 grams of tomatoes contain
- Calories 18
- Total Fat 0 grams.
- Sodium about 5 mg.
- Carbohydrate 4 g
- Dietary fiber 1 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 1 g
Besides the above mentioned nutritional facts, tomatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals. I have also used onions. 100 grams onion contains
- 40 calories.
- Total Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9 g
- Dietary fiber about 2 g
- Sugars 4 g
Besides the above-mentioned facts, raw onions contain Vitamins and minerals too. Now, lemon juice in Aloo Chana dish enhances taste and a good source of Vitamin C. Don't fret, my intention is not to make you a nutritionist. I just want to make you aware of what we eat. Now, we have discussed more nutrition, it's turn to prepare and enjoy the recipe.
So, start your day with a good breakfast. Eating healthy and good breakfast makes you satiated. There is nothing wrong if we pay little attention to our nutritional requirements besides enjoying food.
Black Chickpeas(kala chana) Boiled,Cooked with Salt Nutrition
If you like my recipe, let me have your comments.
Healthy Gram Potato Dish
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2016 sonal
sonal (author) from INDIA on February 07, 2017:
Bengal grams are brown or dark brown in colour. I have used the same grams in my recipe. Another variety is Kabuli Chana, they are whitish cream in colour. Both varieties can be used for the preparation but Bengal gram is more fibrous.
smita on February 06, 2017:
Whether one can use Bengal gram for this preparation ?
sonal (author) from INDIA on February 06, 2017:
Green grams or mung beans can be added in the sprouted form. Those who are vegetarian mung beans are a good source of protein and iron. If you can't eat raw you can eat steamed sprouts of mung beans.
shaili on February 05, 2017:
should adding green gram to this will make more nutritive, if yes than please explain.