Mazlan is an engineer by profession and a lover of food. In his free time, he likes to tinker around in the kitchen.
Quick and Easy Breakfast Recipes
Always in a rush and no time for breakfast? Well, you know the drill. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And based on this study, you must take between 15% to 25% of your daily energy intake at breakfast. For your easy reference, the 'daily intake guide' photo shown below is the breakdown of the amount of food for each meal of the day. If you have a heavy breakfast i.e. more than 20%, then adjust your intake for the other meals.
Healthy Snack on the Go
We are not talking about cereals for breakfast here. It has got to be healthier than that. So, here are 5 quick and easy breakfast recipes that are light on the wallet, simple to prepare and ready in a jiffy. Perfect for your healthy breakfast on the go.
1. Sweet Potato for Breakfast
Sweet potato is a healthy meal on its own. It is high in many important nutrients that include protein, carbohydrate, fiber, vitamins A, B5, B6, C and E, potassium, manganese and several other minerals.
There are many ways to enjoy sweet potato and the most common methods are to boil, fry, bake or steam them. But the quick and easy way to prepare sweet potato for breakfast is to boil or steam it. It is also healthier than frying.
BOIL, STEAM or BAKE A SWEET POTATO?
We are going for a quick and easy recipe so there will be no peeling - we will be leaving the skin on. The skin, in fact, has about ten times more antioxidants levels than the flesh. When you bake, over two-thirds of these antioxidants will be removed. Baking will also wipe off about 80% of Vitamin A. So, to retain most of its nutritional goodness, it best to either boil or steam a sweet potato. But if you boil the sweet potato, most of the antioxidants will be retained.
So, for this quick and easy breakfast recipe, we will boil a sweet potato.
Oh yes, there's no need to dice either. Just wash and put the whole sweet potato into the hot boiling water - simple and delicious.
How to Boil Sweet Potato
Ingredients: 4 medium sizes sweet potatoes, water for boiling and a dash of salt (optional)
- Scrub and wash sweet potatoes well before boiling.
- Boil water. I prefer not to add any salt but if you prefer, just add a tiny dash of salt.
- Boil sweet potato in their skins to retain most of its nutrients.
- Boil for about 15 minutes or when it feels slightly soft to the touch.
- Once cooled, they are ready to eat or you can have it on the go.
If you want to steam a sweet potato, follow similar steps as for boiling but use a steam tray instead. Time taken to cook is about 15 minutes.
And if you insist on baking, here's how to bake a sweet potato:
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Scrub and clean the sweet potato, then pierce at several places with a fork
- Wrap it with aluminum foil.
- Then place it on a baking tray and bake for about 30 minutes (So, baking is only for people who have the luxury of time).
That's all there is to it and it is ready to eat once cooled. Yes, you can eat with the skin on - that's where most of the antioxidants are.
Can I Boil or Steam Sweet Potato the Night Before?
Yes, you can boil or steam sweet potatoes the night before and reboil it for a few minutes in the morning.
Sweet Potatoes Varieties
By the way, sweet potato comes in many varieties from the yellow flesh to the more intense deep purple. The darker colored flesh has more nutritional content and has special anticancer properties. So, the darker colored flesh is a better buy.
2. Sweet Corn For Breakfast
Sweet corn is another food for a healthy breakfast. It has antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein, the carotenoids that prevent eye diseases. It has Vitamins B and C, fiber, magnesium, and potassium. It has the right amount of protein and carbohydrates to kickstart your day. Despite its name, the sugar content is much lower than most fruits - for example, an apple has four times more sugar than sweet corn! But best of all, it is gluten-free.
There are many ways to prepare this amazing food - it can be boiled, steamed, grilled, sauteed, or add to other food preparations.
We are still on the topic of quick and easy breakfast recipes, so your sweet corn will be prepared as steamed corn on the corb. The texture is crispier when steamed instead of boiled. So, no fancy cooking preparation time to deprive you of your precious sleeping hours.
How To Steam Sweet Corn On The Corb
Ingredient: I medium-size sweet corn or more depending on your needs
- Husk the sweet corn and set it aside.
- In the food steamer, add about 2" of water
- Then put the sweet corn into the steamer tray whole. If you have more than one corn you can cut them in half and stack vertically to fit all the corn into the food steamer.
- Place the cover and bring water to a boil. Steam the corn for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, it's ready for eating or have it as your healthy breakfast on the go.
I prefer to eat the sweet corn neat and not slathered in butter and sprinkled with salt - it's healthier and less messy if you want it on the go.
Field corn i.e. for animal feedstock and other commercial use is genetically modified but most sweet corn is not.
3. Fruit Sandwich - Bread, Egg and Fruits For Breakfast
For this recipe, I opted for a hard-boiled egg instead of a poached or sunny-side-up egg since we are talking about breakfast on the go. If you have time to eat before driving off to work, then I suggest poached egg (healthier option) or sunny-side-up egg (for better taste).
- 2 slices of bread of your choice.
- 1 hard-boiled egg (you can prepare this the night before).
- 2 -3 tablespoon Ricotta Cheese (to replace mayo that binds the chopped egg). If Ricotta Cheese is expensive in your area, replace it with Greek Yogurt.
- Berries - strawberry, blackberry, raspberry or any other fruits that are small or can be sliced as sandwich fillings (banana, figs, date, avocado, etc.).
- Peel hard-boiled egg that you prepared earlier and chopped it into small chunks with a lightly wet knife.
- Mix in the Ricotta Cheese (or Greek Yogurt) and bind them together (if you prefer mayo, then go ahead)
- Spread it all over the bread (I prefer toasted bread).
- Then arrange your choice of fruits (washed and/or sliced) over this mixture
- Cover it with the other slice of bread.
You now have your fruit sandwich, your cheap healthy breakfast on the go.
4. Apple, Cheese and Walnut for Breakfast
You can prepare this the night before and keep it in the fridge. No need to reheat the next morning. This is the perfect make-ahead breakfast on the go.
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1-2 apples, cleaned and sliced (add grapes if its OK with the budget)
- 2-3 ounces of cheddar cheese, chopped into small cubes
- Half a cup of walnut or almond.
- Toss them in a resealable plastic bag and keep in the fridge for your next morning breakfast. Note: This breakfast combo doesn't take that long to prepare so it's fresher if done in the morning instead.
This is finger food, so make sure your hands are clean before eating.
5. Scrambled Eggs with Feta Cheese
This takes less than 10 minutes to prepare but if you add additional items like a mushroom, tomato, and spinach, add another 5 minutes.
- 2 eggs
- Feta Cheese + optional mushroom (sliced), spinach (chopped) and tomato (sliced)
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- If you have the optional items, then saute the tomatoes, mushroom, and spinach
- Then add the eggs and scramble the mix.
- Add feta cheese
- Continue to cook and lastly, season with salt and pepper
For grab and go, put it in a sealed container. Enjoy.
Easy Breakfast Ideas
These five quick and easy breakfast recipes are simple to make, inexpensive, and totally delicious. Give them a try, especially if you are looking for cheap healthy breakfast meals on the go.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2018 Mazlan
Mazlan (author) from Malaysia on January 31, 2019:
Hi Tan. Although banana is high in potassium, magnesium, Vitamins B6 and A, and fiber, it is also high in sugar. So, having banana for breakfast can also give you the sugar boost. It is also slightly acidic. So, if you still prefer banana for breakfast 'cos it is convenient, then have banana with raw almonds which will neutralize the acid and reduce the sugar rush.
Tan Chee Meng on January 29, 2019:
Banana has been my daily breakfast on the go on weekdays and for the weekend (with more time) I still have them but on my cereal and yogurt, or toast them with cheese and cinnamon on bread.
Mazlan (author) from Malaysia on January 06, 2019:
Hi Susan. Sweet potatoes are a good source of antioxidant and also rich in vitamin C. It is high in fiber, hence you will not feel hungry even past lunch time. But most important of all, it is delicious. Give it a try.
SusanTeo on February 21, 2018:
I loves sweet potatoes and didn't realize how fantastic it is for a quick and healthy breakfast. Thanks for this tip