The author is an engineer by profession and a lover of food. In his free time, he likes to tinker around in the kitchen.
Quick and Easy Breakfast Recipes
Are you always in a rush and have no time for breakfast?
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Based on this study, you must take between 15% to 25% of your daily energy intake at breakfast. So, design your own healthy breakfast menu with the simple breakfast recipes in this article.
As a guide, use the photo below to check the breakdown of the amount of food for each meal.
If you have a heavy breakfast i.e. more than 20%, then adjust your intake for the other meals.
Healthy Breakfast on the Go
We are not talking about cereals for breakfast. It is healthier than that.
So, here are 5 quick and easy breakfast recipes that are light on your wallet, simple to prepare, and ready in a jiffy. Perfect for your healthy breakfast on the go.
Sweet Potato for Breakfast
Sweet potatoes are the staple food for some of the Latin American countries. It has fiber and is nutritious. A good choice for a healthy breakfast.
How to Eat Sweet Potatoes for Breakfast
There are many ways to enjoy sweet potato and the most common is to either boil, fry, bake, or steam. The quick and easy way to prepare sweet potato for breakfast is to boil or steam it. It is also healthier than frying and is one of the easiest and the best breakfast recipes.
Sweet Potato for Breakfast Benefits
Sweet potato is a healthy meal on its own. It is high in protein, carbohydrate, fiber, vitamins A, B5, B6, C, and E, potassium, manganese, and several other minerals. A good way to start your day.
Sweet Potato Skin Benefits
Sweet potato skin has about ten times more antioxidants levels than the flesh. It is safe to eat. So it is best to cook without peeling.
Boil, Steam, or Bake a Sweet Potato?
When you bake, over two-thirds of these antioxidants are removed. Baking will also wipe off about 80% of Vitamin A.
To retain most of its nutritional goodness, it is best to either boil or steam. Boiling the sweet potato, however, will retain most of the antioxidants.
So, for this quick and easy breakfast recipe, we will boil sweet potato with the skin on.
How to Boil Sweet Potato for Breakfast
Ingredients: 4 medium sizes sweet potatoes, water for boiling, and a dash of salt (optional).
- Scrub and wash sweet potatoes well before boiling.
- Boil water. If you prefer, add a tiny dash of salt.
- Boil sweet potatoes with the skin on them to retain most of their nutrients.
- Boil for about 15 minutes or when it feels slightly soft to the touch.
- Once cooled, they are ready to eat or have it on the go.
Steam Sweet Potato
If you want to steam a sweet potato, follow similar steps as for boiling but use a steam tray instead. Time taken to cook is about 15 minutes.
How to Bake Sweet Potato
If you must bake the sweet potato, here's how:
- Preheat the oven to 425oF.
- Wash and dry the sweet potato, then poke at several places with a fork.
- Give it a good rub with olive oil and sea salt.
- Place it on a baking tray (lined with parchment paper) and bake for 40 minutes. Or when it oozes out their caramelized juice, and wrinkle up a bit. They are not uniform in shape and size, so cooking time will vary.
This sweet potato is ready to eat for breakfast once cooled. It is also one of the best vegetarian breakfast ideas on the go.
Can I Boil or Steam Sweet Potato the Night Before?
Yes, you can boil or steam sweet potatoes the night before and reboil it for a few minutes in the morning.
Which Sweet Potato is Better?
Sweet potato comes in many varieties from yellow flesh to the more intense deep purple. The darker colored flesh has more nutritional content and special anticancer properties. So, the darker colored flesh is a better buy.
Sweet Corn For Breakfast
Sweet corn is another good choice for breakfast on the go.
Is Corn Good for Breakfast?
Yes, it is. It has antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein, the carotenoids that prevent eye diseases.
Sweet Corn for Breakfast Benefits
It has Vitamins B and C, fiber, magnesium, and potassium. It has the right amount of protein and carbohydrates to kickstart your day. Despite its name, the sugar content is much lower than most fruits. Apple has four times more sugar than sweet corn! Best of all, it is gluten-free and a good day to start your day.
How to Cook Fresh Corn
The best choice for your breakfast is fresh corn. You can steam, grill, saute, or have boiled corn for breakfast
The quick and easy way is to steam the corn on the corb. The texture is also crispier when steamed.
How To Steam Sweet Corn On The Corb
Ingredient: I medium-size sweet corn or more depending on your needs
- Husk the sweet corn and set it aside.
- In the food steamer, add about 2" of water
- Put the sweet corn into the steamer tray whole. If you have more than one corn you can cut them in half and stack them vertically to fit them in.
- Cover and bring water to a boil. Steam the corn for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, it's ready to eat.
Field corn i.e. for animal feedstock and other commercial use is genetically modified but most sweet corns are not.
Healthy Fruit Sandwich - Toast and Fruit for Breakfast
For this healthy breakfast sandwich, I opted for a hard-boiled egg instead of a poached or sunny-side-up egg since it is breakfast on the go. If you have time to eat before driving off to work, then try poached egg (healthier option) or sunny-side-up egg (better taste).
- 2 slices of bread of your choice.
- 1 hard-boiled egg (you can prepare this the night before).
- 2 -3 tablespoon Ricotta Cheese (to replace mayo that binds the chopped egg). If Ricotta Cheese is expensive in your area, replace it with Greek Yogurt.
- Berries - strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, or any other fruits that are small or can be sliced as sandwich fillings (banana, figs, date, avocado, etc.).
- Peel and chop the hard-boiled egg into small chunks.
- Mix in the Ricotta Cheese (or Greek Yogurt) and bind them together.
- Spread it over the bread (I prefer toasted bread).
- Then arrange your choice of fruits (washed and sliced) over this mixture
- Cover with the other slice of bread.
It is now ready for your healthy breakfast on the go with these unique breakfast sandwiches. You can also jazz it with dried fruits and nuts as part of your crazy breakfast sandwich ideas.
Vegetarian Breakfast Without Eggs - Apple, Cheese and Walnut
You can prepare this vegetarian breakfast without eggs the night before and keep it in the fridge. No need to reheat the next morning. This is the perfect make-ahead breakfast on the go.
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1-2 apples, cleaned and sliced (adding grapes, optional)
- 2-3 ounces of cheddar cheese, chopped into small cubes
- Half a cup of walnut or almond.
- Toss them in a resealable plastic bag and keep them in the fridge for your next morning's breakfast. Note: This breakfast combo doesn't take that long to prepare so it's fresher if done in the morning.
You can add more fruits for a big vegetarian breakfast if you prefer.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas with Eggs - Scrambled Eggs with Feta Cheese
This healthy breakfast idea with eggs takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. If you add additional items like a mushroom, tomato, and spinach, add another 5 minutes.
- 2 eggs
- Feta Cheese + optional mushroom (sliced), spinach (chopped), and tomato (sliced)
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- If you have the optional items, then saute the tomatoes, mushroom, and spinach
- Then add the eggs and scramble the mix.
- Add feta cheese
- Continue to cook, then season with salt and pepper
For grab and go, put it in a sealed container. If you prefer, you can do this healthy breakfast with eggs and toast together with feta cheese.
Quick and Easy Breakfast Recipes
These five quick and easy breakfast recipes are simple to make, inexpensive, and totally delicious. Give them a try, especially if you are looking for cheap and healthy breakfast meals on the go.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2018 MazlanA
MazlanA (author) from Malaysia on January 31, 2019:
Hi Tan. Although banana is high in potassium, magnesium, Vitamins B6 and A, and fiber, it is also high in sugar. So, having banana for breakfast can also give you the sugar boost. It is also slightly acidic. So, if you still prefer banana for breakfast 'cos it is convenient, then have banana with raw almonds which will neutralize the acid and reduce the sugar rush.
Tan Chee Meng on January 29, 2019:
Banana has been my daily breakfast on the go on weekdays and for the weekend (with more time) I still have them but on my cereal and yogurt, or toast them with cheese and cinnamon on bread.
MazlanA (author) from Malaysia on January 06, 2019:
Hi Susan. Sweet potatoes are a good source of antioxidant and also rich in vitamin C. It is high in fiber, hence you will not feel hungry even past lunch time. But most important of all, it is delicious. Give it a try.
SusanTeo on February 21, 2018:
I loves sweet potatoes and didn't realize how fantastic it is for a quick and healthy breakfast. Thanks for this tip