In my blogs you will find melange of dishes discovered of my own and some (foods and flavors) are influenced of our ancestors.
Guava is an apple shaped tropical fruit, which has green rind outer side and a creamy nectar flesh loaded with seeds inside. It tastes great having raw, but it has great culinary like guava juice, guava ice cream, guava pudding and many more especially in dessert.
As we know apple in diet each day keep away you from a doctor. But seasonal fruit guava is consumed in all around the world now a days. It's observed that guava has rich in anti oxidant, fiber and numerous health benefit. So consuming few guavas in a season keeps you away from doctor for the whole year which changed the expensive apple trend.
Soak almonds in enough water overnight. In the morning discard the water and squeeze the skin gently to remove the skin. Now blend it with little water to form a smooth and fine mixture of almond.
If you forget or not enough time to soak the almonds, then boil almonds for 5 minutes and cool it. Remove the skin and blend to form a smooth paste, for preparing the cheese cake you need to first curdle the milk. Thick milk always goes best for cottage cheese. In a heavy bottomed pan pour the milk.
- In a heavy bottomed pan boil milk over medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce the flame to low and add vinegar into the pan. Stir frequently using a spoon until the milk start to curdle.
- Then the curdled milk is separated by greenish liquid “whey” and white solid curd is cheese/chhena. Stir the mixture around 2 to 3 minutes until the whey and cheese separated completely. Off the gas and rest the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and rinse the cheese well under water, rest the cheese in strainer for 15 minutes. You can either use muslin cloth to hang the mixture for 15 minutes.
- There should be little moisture in the cheese for the cake, so do not hang it more than 15 minutes. Then blend it with sugar to form a smooth mixture, Take it out in a large bowl.
- Clean and rinse the guava. Peel the skin of guava and slice into small pieces. In a small blender blend the guava with little water for 2 to 3 cycles. Strain the mixture in a strainer discard the seeds and add the smooth guava mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Blend the skinned almonds in little water to form a fine almond paste.
- Now add the almond into the cheese mixture. Then add one by one all the ingredients into the mixture. Whisk the mixture so that the mixture will combine with all the ingredients smoothly.
- Grease an aluminium mould, pour the mixture into the mould. Use a parchment paper or aluminium foil in the mould, to come out the cake smoothly after.
- In a pressure pour 2 cups of water and put a stand inside. When the water start to boil place the cake mould inside and cover the lid with out whistle. Steam over medium flame for 10 minutes, reduce the flame into low flame and cook for 1 hour. Then off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to cool.
- Store the cheese cake in refrigerator at least 2 hours or until chilled completely.
- Take it out, use a knife around in side the pan to remove cake from sides smoothly. Flip cake upside down onto a plate carefully. Now cut the cake into desired shape and serve chilled.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
- 5 cups thick, full fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons suji
- 1 guava ripe - puree, guava
- 15-20 almonds, blanched
- sugar as desired
- salt dash of salt
- 1 drop vanilla
Steps to Prepare
- Over medium flame bring the milk to boil. Slow the flame and sprinkle vinegar over the milk. Stir the milk until milk start to curdle.
- You will notice the curdle milk is separated by greenish liquid “whey” and white solid curd is cheese/chhena. Cook and stir the mixture some more time around 2 to 3 minutes until the whey and cheese separated completely. Off the gas and rest the mixture 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and rinse the chhena well under water. Now either use a muslin cloth to hang the cheese or rest the cheese in strainer for 15 minutes.
- Use ripe and sweet guava for preparing the puree. A fresh guava make the cake more creamy and flavourful.
- Meanwhile remove the skin of guava and chop into small pieces. Use a small blender, add little water to prepare a puree of guava. Don’t blend long else the seeds will start to break and difficult to strain.
- Add little water in the strainer will allow the puree to come out smoothly. Discard the seeds.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Susmita Tripathy