Chazz is an Interior Decorator/Consultant/Retailer, amateur photographer, cook, gardener, handyman, currently restoring an 1880 Victorian.
Behold our first efforts at making gluten-free bread from scratch in our Cuisinart Bread Machine! Actually, my wife made this loaf but I do have her permission to share the recipe and photo.
Not only is making gluten free bread at home easy - it is also more economical. And the loaf you produce is so much tastier and healthier than the frozen products you can buy - if you can even find GF rye bread.
Of course, technically, this is not really rye bread as it uses no rye flour, but the taste and texture are very very close. Add some corned beef, pastrami, or ham and swiss slathered with mustard and a couple of Kosher pickle spears and I'm in GF heaven!
You'll Need a Breadmaker Machine to Make This
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 hours 50 min
Makes 1 1/2 pound loaf
Ingredients for Gluten Free Rye Bread
- 1 1/2 cups warmed low-fat milk (about 110 degrees)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into half inch cubes OR 3 Tablespoons oil, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast for bread machine*, (See note below)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel (zest)
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 ⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 ⁄3 cup cornstarch OR 1/3 cup rice bran
- 1 ⁄3 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
- 2 Tablespoons molasses, agave, or honey
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced dried onion, (Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill, (Optional)
- Mix dry ingredients except yeast in a mixing bowl and set aside. I repeat. Do not add the yeast at this point.
- Lightly blend all liquid ingredients and pour into bread pan.
- Gently pour flour mixture on top of liquid.
- Carefully make a slight indentation in the center of the dry mixture and add the yeast.
- Select the Gluten-Free cycle (or rapid cycle if you don't have a GF setting.) Choose medium or dark crust. Press start.
- Scrape down the sides once or twice during the kneading cycle to incorporate all of the flour. If dough seems dry add a tablespoon or two of warm water.
- If desired, you can remove the paddle when the kneading cyle is finished before allowing the dough to rest. You don't have to do this but if you leave it in your loaf will have a hole in the bottom.
- NOTE: These instructions are based on our bread machine's requirements. Check the instruction booklet that came with your machine as you may have to add items in a different order or choose other options when setting the machine.
What do You Think ?
© 2013 Chazz
Dori on February 10, 2020:
Hi, have you ever tried using rye flour in this recipe? I would like to use this recipe on the dough setting and bake it in the oven. Have you baked this in the oven before? Thanks
Chazz (author) from New York on August 01, 2019:
Glad you liked it, Dawn. One of my favorites! Thank you for letting me know.
Dawn Peterson on July 23, 2019:
I tried your recipe yesterday, we had Reuben sandwiches. This is the best gluten free bread I have ever tasted! I used my Zojirushi machine, you are right, it is good!! Thank you so much.
Chazz (author) from New York on November 16, 2013:
@getmoreinfo: Glad you liked it.
getmoreinfo on November 14, 2013:
Thanks for the bread recipe, I love your photo too.