To become a good cook, you must know which herbs and spices go together to create tasty dishes. Experiment and enjoy, RIB
Rate this Potato Soup Recipe
Easy Potato Soup recipe
There are many ways to make potato soup but, mastering it with flavor is the challenge.
This Potato Soup recipe is so easy and flavorful that any one can make it.
You probably have all the ingredients in your cub-board already.
Now a days everything has to be Fast and Easy!
Most people don't cook homemade meals anymore. The every day life is hectic filled with work and the last thing they want to do is come home and spend another hour or two in the kitchen. So the easiest is to eat out, grab something from the drive - thru or stick a frozen meal in the microwave.
So instead, try a home cooked meal with potatoes and make a soup out of it. This one is a little old Fashioned but I
do believe it will never go out of style.
- 6 large peeled potatoes, cubed
- 9 cups water
- 5-6 slices bacon
- 1 ring polish sausage, cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 knorr bouillon cubes
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 - 1/2 a bag instant mashed potatoes, garlic and chives flavor for additional flavor and thick consistency
- In a soup pot, sauté bacon and onions until the onions are glossy and bacon is half done. Don't drain the bacon grease.
- add the following: Potatoes, butter, water, garlic and Knorr bouillon cubes - stir simmer on light boil for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft
- add polish sausage and instant potatoes simmer for another 10 minutes slowly adding the instant mashed potatoes to what ever thickness you prefer.
- Note: instead of the instant mashed potatoes you can make a mixture of one tablespoon flour and 3-4 tablespoons water or milk. Mix and add to the soup at the last 10 minutes of simmer. Or you can make a hot Rue of butter and flour.
- There you have it, it's that simple. * Another note: You can also top your soup with some of your favorite shredded cheese. mmm good!
A Tip about the Polish Sausage
Add the Polish Sausage towards the end when the soup is almost done. So the polish sausage won't get all of it's flavor pulled out.
That's very important! You'll want some of the flavor from the sausage in your soup but you still want flavor in the sausage too.
Instead of Polish Sausage try adding Ham
If you prefer not to use Polish Sausage than replace it with ham cut into chunks or use both.
Be sure to sear the ham a little before putting it in the soup. That way it is precooked and you won't lose any flavor from the ham. The natural juices seared in the ham until added to the soup which is then released while simmering for the last 10 minutes.
The end result
Thick , creamy , smooth and full of flavor. You won't need anything else to go along with it since it is a whole meal in one.
Some like a crusty bread with it.
Potato Soup is especially appreciated on those cold, chilly days! Just makes you feel warm and comfortable. It is a meal in itself.
These are "Knorr Bouillon Cubes"
A must have in your kitchen
Knorr Bouillon cubes are not as salty as other bouillon cubes. You can use them in all your recipes to enhance flavor.
The flavors come in chicken, beef and vegetable. Knorr also has gravies, noodle meals, and much more.
I have been using them for over 20 years. I also keep "Maggi" cubes handy too.
These two brands are real popular in Germany.
My Grandmother and Mother used Knorr boullion cubes. I just kept the tradition going. It trickled down further to my Daughter, she uses them also. I have tried other brands but they just weren't as good as Knorr, in my opinion.
© 2015 Ramona