Tawnya is a freelance writer and mom of a tiny gymnast. When it comes to buying gymnastics-related gear, I'm an industry pro.
Picture of the Easy Minecraft Creeper Cake I Created
Creating a Minecraft Creeper Cake is Easy to Do
This year is my daughter's tenth birthday. In the days and weeks leading up to the day, I have become very aware that ten is a big number. After all, you only hit double digits one time before it isn't exciting anymore. When we were discussing her birthday, her dad and I gave her two options, big birthday party and small gift or big gift and small party.
She opted for the small party and big gift (she gets that from her mama). However, I still wanted to impress. Unbeknownst to her, I have been scouring the Internet trying to find a cake that she would really remember. One of her favorite things in the world is Minecraft (seriously, this kid is obsessed), so I hit Pinterest to get some ideas. Finally, after being "pinspired" I was ready to create the perfect birthday cake for my 10-year-old tomboy and here it is an easy Minecraft Creeper cake.
All pictures in this article are mine and were taken by me while I prepared my daughter's birthday cake.
Easy Tutorial for Minecraft Cake
Time required: 1-1 1/2 hours
Cost: under $20
- Prepared cake
- Green frosting
- Three Large Hershey chocolate bars (you will have lots of pieces left over)
- Large decorating tip
- Decorating bag
- Butter knife
Let Cake Cool Before Frosting
1. The first step is to start with a cooked and cooled cake. I opted to cook my cake in a lasagna pan because I don't have the best decorating skills. As you can see, my cake cracked, but it really didn't matter because of the way, I planned to decorate the cake.
Make Sure Frosting is Easy to Work With
2. Make sure your green frosting is nice and stirred. I love buttercream frosting, so I ordered this from my local bakery. I told them I wanted grass green and it turned out perfect.
Choose an Appropriate Frosting Tip
3. Minecraft creepers have a boxy pixelated look, which I couldn't figure out how to recreate on a cake. So, I opted to go for a grassy look. If you are or have a Minecraft fan in your life, you know that grass is a huge part of the game, so it makes perfect sense for this cake. I used a large decorating tips to create a grass like appearance across the entire sheet cake. Then, I used the same tip to create larger dollops all around the edges of the cake.
Take Your Time Creating Creeper's Face
4. After the entire cake was covered with green grass, I was ready to start creating the creeper's face. I have plenty of Minecraft memorabilia all around the house, so I copied what I saw.
Think About the Design Before You Apply It
5. Before placing the chocolate on the cake, make sure to test it out on a piece of paper first. The eyes are two pieces of a large chocolate bar and the nose is also two pieces of chocolate. For the mouth, I used a solid piece that was three chunks wide and nine chunks long. On each side of the mouth, there is another two piece chunk of Hershey's chocolate. I opted to turn the chunks of chocolate over to hide the breaks and word Hershey.
What did you Think?
© 2014 Tawnya
Thanks for checking out my Minecraft cake tutorial. I'd love to know you stopped by, please leave a comment below.
Lorelei Cohen from Canada on June 16, 2014:
Minecraft really is popular with both kids and adults. It has gathered quite a following. I think it is amazingly cool.
Barbara Tremblay Cipak from Toronto, Canada on June 15, 2014:
creative and something she'll always remember too!
Tawnya (author) from NE Ohio on June 14, 2014:
@Corrinna-Johnson: Thank you!
Corrinna Johnson from BC, Canada on June 14, 2014:
Very creative! Happy birthday to the birthday girl!