Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Scalloped Potatoes
ScalIoped potatoes are a staple for any holiday dinner. A classic comfort food. I call these "faux" gratin potatoes! Scalloped potatoes with no cheese, but ALL the smooth creaminess. It's unbelievable until you try it. I was skeptical myself. We have been dairy-free for almost a year now and this recipe sure fills a cheesy void!
To peel or not to peel:
Leave the skins ON your potatoes, It's healthier! It's easier! They are sliced so thin that the kids shouldn't mind. It looks pretty too!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
- 2 lbs. red potatoes sliced
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. gluten-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Wash potatoes and slice about 1/4-inch thick. Place in bowl of cold water so they don't turn brown.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 T. olive oil about 5 min. until softened.
- Add 3 more T. olive oil and whisk in flour until it forms a smooth paste.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Add the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper and continue to whisk until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Drain the potatoes and layer them in the pan alternately with the sauce.
- Sprinkle paprika across the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350ºF.
Will you give it a try?
FlourishAnyway from USA on March 19, 2018:
I love your sense of humor adding jokes to this recipe!