Darius is a former high school literary and feature writer that loves reading books, listening to music, and watching movies.
What is Coffee Jelly?
Coffee jelly is a coffee-flavored jelly dessert generously drizzled and bathe in sweet, savory mixture of cream. It is often serve chilled and/or cold, a great desert food for the Summer heat, or the best dessert for caffeine-infused fans.
It can be made at home from scratch, or can be ordered from restaurants. If you have a sweet tooth like me, then this dessert is perfect for you to try. It is easy and fun to make. And you can make as much as you want, but will take quiet some time for the initial servings to be finished.
Ingredients for Coffee Jelly
- 5 cups or at least 1.5L clean, fresh water
- 25 grams gelatin, gelatin powder, or agar-agar
- 1/2 cup sugar, white or brown
- 5 tablespoons coffee powder, fresh or instant
- 370 milliliters milk, evaporated
- 300 milliliters milk, condensed
- 250 milliliters cream, all-purpose
For the Jelly:
- Pour 5 cups, or at least 1.5L, of clean water into a huge bowl.
- Put at least half acup of sugar into the water. You can use white or brown sugar, depending on your choice. Stir the mixture indefinitely until the sugar's all dissolved.
- Open a packet of unflavored gelatin or agar-agar powder and pur it into the water and sugar mixture. Use either a black or white colored gelatin powder, or just use a non-colored agar-agar powder. Wait for a few seconds for the powder to bloom and then mix all of them together.
- Have two tablespoons of fresh or instant coffee powder and mix it along with the gelatin/agar-agar mixture. Wait and mix until you dissolve all remaining powders or crystals during mixing if any are still noticeable.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep sauce pan or cooking pot. Turn your fire into a medium-high heat. Wait and gently fold the mixture until you bring it to a boil.
- Transfer the heated mixture into molds, preferably rectangular molds or any transferable molds and containers. Put the mold/s in the freezer, covering them for safety, and have them chilled for about one to two hours; wait for it to set and cool.
- Have another teaspoon of fresh or instant coffee and have it mixed with the cream mixture.
- Have the gelatin sliced into small cubes once it's turned into jelly.
For the Cream:
- Pour half of evaporated milk, condensed milk, and all-purpose milk into another bowl and have them mixed well. You can also use a pre-made half-and-half cream for the recipe.
- Add a teaspoon of instant or freshly ground coffee into the milk mixture and mix them all together.
- Have the milk-cream mixture chilled for about an hour.
For the finished product:
Prepare a bowl, a mug, a cup, or any small container of your choice. Pour the chilled coffee jelly first, and then drizzle it with chilled cream mixture. And, as you can guess, this desert is best served chilled or cold.
This is a dessert food typically made with instant or fresh coffee and cream milk mixtures. This means that it will be both sweet and it will also be caffeinated.
If you want to exchange coffee with something else, try using mocha or chocolate powders. And since this is typically made using milk, it may be not suitable for people with severe lactose intolerance.
That being said, you can use lactose-free substitutes. You can also use sugar-free substitutes if you're conscious about the amount of sweetness and sugar the dessert has. This desert is best served chilled and cold.
Despite its cheap ingredients, this will also only last a day or two depending on how you prepare it, so it's better to have family or friends around that would enjoy the dessert or make only small batches so you could make more in the future.
© 2020 Darius Razzle Paciente