This version of Chicken Paprikash is more than my version of how to make it. It is a go to comfort food that’s irresistible in the cold winter months. It also tastes just as great if it's not winter, but there's very few ways to beat the winter blahs than by serving this up on a cold winter night.
This recipe I am sharing comes from my Mom. We have had to recopy the recipe several times as the original index card was well worn out until I wised up and printed it onto a Word Document! This nourishing meal will bring everyone to the table and leave no one feeling hungry when you also make the side recipe for dumplings.
- 4 to 5 lbs. Chicken, bone-in, Cut Up (breasts, legs, thighs)
- 4 Each Drumsticks and thighs, Extra
- 3 Large Sweet Onions, Sliced into thin rings
- 2 Sticks Butter, Sliced into small squares
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile,melt butter over medium-low heat in large fry pan
- Slice onions into thin rings and add to pan. Increase heat to medium and saute' onions until transparent.
- Place the chicken in a large 13 x 9 baking dish. It's fine if there's some overlap. And it may seem excessive, but trust me, cover all chicken pieces totally with paprika until no skin shows.
- Pour the sauteed onions in the melted butter over the chicken, making sure all the chicken is covered.
- Bake at 325 F for 30 minutes and no peeking, leave door shut. Turn chicken pieces over and bake an additional 30 minutes. Total baking time = 60 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil. Drain onions out from the baking dish and reserve cooking liquids.You can discard the onions.
- Pour your cooking sauce into a large saucepan and turn on to medium heat. Thicken sauce with 4 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and increase heat to high and stir until thickened. Add 6- 8 tablespoons of sour cream and stir well, off the heat.
- Skin chicken and cut up chicken into bite size pieces, reserve 4 drumsticks for the eat off the bone diners. Add chicken back to sauce in fry pan and hear gently, until warmed through.
Dumplings that make you say, Ahhh.
As for the dumplings, this is really easy.
- Mix together 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of table salt, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, 4 eggs and ½ cup of cold water.
- Mix thoroughly until a sticky dough is formed.
- Drop teaspoon sized dumpling batter into large pot of boiling water until dumplings float to the surface. They will plump up when they cook. Add dumplings to the Chicken Paprikash and sauce mix.