Uriel is a gourmet. He enjoys trying out new recipes and new cuisines. He loves African and Indian cuisine.
Wukunu is a traditional dish among Taita community. It is usually consumed as a main dish. Traditionally, it was consumed plain.
Wukunu can be accompanied by meat, vegetables, salad, or soup. Stir-fried goat meat is a delicacy among many Kenyan communities.
For the Wukunu:
- 2¼ cups (384 g) black beans, raw, dry
- 7(1.8 kg) sweet potatoes, pink skin, raw
- 13½ cups (2950 g) water
- 2 teaspoons (11 g) salt, iodized
For the Stir Fried Goat:
- 1 kilogram goat meat, medium fat, raw
- 1 (106 g) onion, red skinned, raw, unpeeled
- 3 (336 g) tomatoes, red, ripe, chopped
- 1/8 cup (27 g) cooking oil
- 1 ½ tsp. (7 g) salt, iodized
- 2 ¼ cups (494 g) water
Instructions for the Wukunu
- Sort the black beans and wash them thoroughly.
- Boil the beans in 9 cups of water for 1 hour 20 minutes (or until they are almost cooked).
- While the beans boil, peel the sweet potatoes, immerse them in water and set them aside.
- Remove the boiled beans from the heat and set them aside to cool.
- After cooling, shell the beans (remove the outer skin). Alternatively, you can also blanch after cooling the beans to make shelling easier.
- Put the shelled black beans into a pot, add 4 ½ cups of water and boil for 4 minutes.
- Add the peeled sweet potatoes, salt and boil for 50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from fire and mash to a thick, smooth paste.
Nutrition information for the Wukunu
Nutrition data per 100g of recipe(Wukunu):
- Energy 396 kJ/ 94 kcal
- Fat 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates 15.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g
- Fibre 4.6 g
- Vitamin A 1 mcg
- Iron 1.5 mg
- Zinc 0.41 mg
Instructions for the Stir-Fried Goat
- Chop the goat meat into small cubes.
- Add the meat, water, and salt into a cooking pot. Let it boil.
- In the meantime, peel the onions, wash them and place them in a bowl.
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them, then place them in a separate bowl
- Add the onions and continue boiling.
- After the water has dried off, add oil and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and stir.
- Simmer until ready.
- Serve the goat meat with the Wukunu.
Nutrition data per 100g of recipe(Stir-fried goat):
- Energy 1,597 kJ/ 383 kcal
- Fat 23.3 g
- Carbohydrates 10.4 g
- Protein 32.1 g
- Fibre 1.7 g
- Vitamin A 42 mcg
- Iron 4.1 mg
- Zinc 5.74 mg
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Uriel Kushiel