Rajan is a botany and chemistry major. He has an interest in health, healthy foods, nutrition and home remedies.
Botanical Name: Benincasa hispida
Wintermelon or Ash Gourd, also known by other names like wax gourd, white gourd, winter gourd, tallow gourd, ash pumpkin, white pumpkin is a vine whose mature fruit, the winter melon, is cooked like a vegetable, the immature fruit is made into a juice and drunk for its several health benefits and is also prepared into Indian sweets/desserts. It can be cooked in stews, soups, and stir-fried and braised dishes.
In India, we call it Safed Petha.
Although it is a very bland tasting fruit the amazing benefits this fruit/vegetable offers should make its juice, a must-have, in one's daily diet schedule.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1.250 kgs winter melon/ash gourd/safed petha
- Wash the winter melon and slice off as much as you require.
- Peel away the hard green skin, slice into several large pieces and remove the central soft net-like pulp along with the seeds leaving just the hard pulp for juicing.
- Chop the pulp into small pieces then grind in a grinder to make a fine puree.
- Strain out the juice through a muslin cloth and discard the pulp.
- Consume the juice immediately, sip by sip.
Health Benefits of Winter Melon Juice
Some of the several health benefits of winter melon juice are as under:
- Cools the body by removing internal body heat and provides relief in issues like piles/haemorrhoids, nose bleed, boils and the like. It is, therefore, a very useful juice to have in very hot climates in summer.
- Cures stomach related issues like constipation, gas, bloating, ulcers and makes digestion strong.
- Reduces blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Controls Urinary tract infections and cleanses the bladder.
- Relieves stress, tension and depression.
- Calms the nerves and boosts energy levels.
- Reduces weight in obese people and helps underweight persons gain weight.
Winter Melon | Ash Gourd | Safed Petha Juice Recipe | Health Benefits
- Drink winter melon juice on an empty stomach in the morning and do not eat or drink for 2 hours following this. This will help the juice to do its job of removing toxins from the body.
- Do not add salt, lemon, ginger or any other spices to this juice. It should be drunk without the addition of any other ingredient.
- 150- 200 ml of winter melon juice is enough for an adult per day.
- The hard green skin, seeds and central soft pulp in which the seeds are embedded should be discarded while making the juice.
- As the juice is very cooling you may add a little black pepper powder in areas where the winter is severe to lessen the severity of its cooling effects.
- Ash Gourd (Winter Melon), the “Cool” Vegetable: Benefits & Recipes
- What Is Ash Gourd? All You Need to Know
- Physicochemical and functional properties of ash gourd/bottle gourd beverages blended with jamun
- NUTRACEUTICAL VALUES OF ASH GOURD- A REVIEW
- Ash Gourd
- The Pharmacological Importance of Benincasa hispida. A review
- Physico-chemical properties of Ash gourd and Amla based juices
- Winter Melon - A Remedy for Many Health Problems
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2021 Rajan Singh Jolly