I was raised on a remote ranch in Idaho. My family hunted wild game and fished to supplement our families food needs.
Roast Chukar Partride
The Chukar Partridge is found in rocky arid portions of the western U.S. They are similar to Quail so if you prefer or don't have access to Chukars you can use the Quil in this recipe, and it will come out the same. Another similar bird you can use is the Cornish Game Hens. These can be found in the freezer sections of most grocery stores.
1, (4) Chukars or Quail, cleaned and soaked in salt water for an hour.
2. (4) strips of bacon.
1. 4 cup of breadcrumbs
2. 4 tablespoons of poultry seasoning or mixed herb
3. ¼ teaspoon pepper
4. 1 medium sized onion-chopped
5. 1 cup chopped celery
6. 2 eggs-slightly beaten
7. ½ can mushroom soup
8. ½ cup milk
1. Mix bread crumbs with seasonings: add onion, celery, beaten eggs, mushroom soup, milk and mix well.
2. Fill body and breast of bird, putting sufficient in the latter to give bird a plump appearance. Cover each breast with a strip of bacon, which may be removed 5 minutes before serving.
3. Roast in moderate oven, 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve with tart jelly and tossed green salad.
Mandarin Mallard Duck Recipe
(Of course, any duck will taste delicious using the following recipe, but Mallards are undoubtedly the best.)
First: Cut the breast and leg meat off the bird and dice to bite-size pieces.
1. 1 Can concentrated orange juice
2. 2 Cans water
3. 1 medium onion-finely chopped
4. ¼ cup soy sauce
1. Place the onion in a frying pan with a little butter, simmer until soft.
2. Now add the orange juice, water and soy sauce.
3. Be sure the temperature is just at the simmer point of 200°. Place the pieces of duck in the mixture and simmer for 45 minutes.
Serve over rice, and sprinkle with coconut and slivered almonds.
Baked Duck Recipe
1. 3 birds, preferably Mallards.
2. 1 green pepper-chopped fine
3. 1 large onion-chopped fine
4. 1 medium carrot- grated
5. 1 clove garlic-crushed
6. 2 cups water
7. 2 skinned apples sliced
8. 2 cans mushrooms with juice
1. Cover the ducks in water and boil until soapy looking water appears, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove the ducks from the water, pat dry and rub each with salt and pepper.
3. Stuff duck cavities with sliced apples. Pour mixture of 2 cups water, garlic, carrot, onion and green pepper, with 2 cans mushrooms with juice over the ducks.
4. Bake for 4 hours in a slow oven set at 225° basting every half hour.
Serve with wild rice.
Roast Duck and Wild Rice Recipe
1. 4 ducks
2. 1 cup Wild Rice (washed and soaked 2-3 hours)
3. ¼ cup butter
4. 1 cup regular long-grain rice washed
5. 2 cans consommé + 1 can water
6. 1 medium onion - chopped - divided
7. 1 medium apple-chopped
8. 5 stalks celery - chopped - divided
1. Broil the cleaned ducks about 3 minutes on each side.
2. Take out and stuff ducks with mixture of apple, onion and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in deep roasting pan.
3. Sauté remaining onion and celery in butter until light brown and add to rice, which has been soaked, washed, and drained.
4. Mix water and consommé in large bowl and add rice mixture. Stir, and then spoon rice over top of ducks.
5. Poor remaining liquid into roasting pan and cover and bake at 225° 2-3 hours or until duck is tender.
6. Baste every 30 minutes and add more liquid if needed.
Remove ducks and throw away the stuffing mixture. Cut ducks into half and arrange them on a platter with orange slices or a garnish.
Spoon rice into serving bowl to serve. Serves 8
Curried Wild Duck With Rice
1. 2 average size duck, mallard is my favorite and usually comes out the best.
2. 1 small onion-minced
3. 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
4. 3/4 cup minced celery
5. 1 small garlic clove - crushed
6. 1 can mushroom soup
7. 1 soup can of water
1. Fillet breast and cut off legs of ducks. Dredge in flour and brown in shortening.
2. Sprinkle the above mixture of ingredients over the pieces of duck in casserole dish and bake 1 hour at 350°.
3. Reduce heat to 325° and allow to bake an additional 2 hours. Turn occasionally and add more water if indicated.
4. Serve on steamed rice.
Note: Small dishes of the following condiments add interest in the dish,
Crushed peanuts Chutney Grated orange rind Raisins or chopped dates.
Each person can sprinkle on top of his rice what condiment suits him or her.
Duck Fillet Recipe
1. 1 duck of choice
2. 1 tablespoon oil of choice, light olive oil works good
3. 2 tablespoons soy sauce
4. 2 tablespoons Whiskey if you have it, otherwise you can substitute 2 teaspoons vanilla extract for the Whiskey
1. Fillet breasts of duck.
2. Marinate over-night in the following: 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons Whiskey, or Whiskey substitute.
3. Preheat oven broiler for 10 minutes.
4. Broil fillets 5 minutes on each side.
Serve with green salad and Wild Rice.