How To Make Trini Doubles | Trinidadian Recipe for Doubles : Caribbean Food
How to make doubles: recipe for a popular Trinidadian food
RECIPE : HOW TO MAKE DOUBLES
Doubles: This recipe is a how to make doubles recipe. Doubles are a nice food to cook. Have you ever eaten the food, doubles before? Have you ever even heard of a food called doubles before? If not, you can learn what doubles are while reading this how to make doubles recipe.
- If you have never eaten doubles or heard of doubles before, don't worry you are not alone but I would love to introduce you to how to make doubles with this delicious doubles recipe!
- In this recipe hub, I'd love to share the information about how to make the Trinidad street food, doubles so that you'll know what you're missing!
Doubles are such a tasty food! You would like the doubles a lot. Doubles are a popular food in the Caribbean nation, Trinidad and Tobago.
- So, would you like to learn how to make Trini doubles?
- Among the recipe ingredients for doubles, the bread part of the doubles is made with flour risen with yeast.
- In the how to make doubles recipe, the filling of the doubles is made of curried chick peas and onions.
- Doubles are an appealing food.
- Doubles look appetizing and when you bite into the doubles, they will not disappoint!
- Well seasoned including curry flavor, doubles have a pillowy soft texture and a very flavorful taste. Doubles are delicious!
The doubles is a dish that I love so much and when I wanted to learn how to make doubles for myself, I looked at doubles recipe advice via the internet.
The doubles recipe that I followed is the first that came up in my internet search, a doubles recipe posted in February 2007 on the blog trinigourmet.com.
I must credit and explain the source that I used but one instrumental change that I made with the recipe was to use whole wheat flour to make the doubles a bit more healthy.
I don't know how many people have tried doubles this way before but it was worth the small change in the doubles recipe and the doubles are still delicious!
Doubles can easily be considered either a main dish or a side dish
The food photos of the doubles enclosed here are my own (Copyright © Journey *). I cooked the whole wheat doubles as a side to curried chicken.
The doubles and the curried chicken taste great together however many people might eat the doubles alone as a main dish.
For this doubles recipe,
For this doubles recipe as adapted from trinigourmet.com which is itself adapted from Naprima (in Trinidad) girls high school cookbook, here are the steps to follow.:
Instructions for making doubles
HOW TO MAKE TRINI DOUBLES - TRINIDADIAN RECIPE FOR DOUBLES : CARIBBEAN FOOD
- To make these doubles, take 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of curry powder and mix.
- The next step for this doubles recipe is to mix 1/3 cup of warm water with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 packet of yeast in another bowl and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the contents of the 2 bowls together and then knead the dough.
- Cover for 2 hours to rise.
- Open 2 cans of chick peas and rinse.
- Add fresh water to them and place them on a stove or in a slow cooker to boil and become very tender.
- Drain the water and add:
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil,
- 3 teaspoons of curry powder,
- 1 teaspoon or garlic powder,
- 1 teaspoon of salt,
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes,
- 1 sliced or diced onion
When the dough for the doubles is ready,
- When the dough for the doubles is ready, tear off large sections and shape into round patties as seen in the photos.
- Fry these pieces in hot oil for 5 minutes on each side, flipping with a spatula.
- Place the fried dough on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Then fill 2 pieces of the fried dough with the chick pea filling making it like a sandwich. There it is - DOUBLES!
- Eat the doubles alone or as a side to an entree like curried chicken.
Enjoy the doubles!
Delicious doubles can be served with curried chicken and chick peas, for example
Have you ever heard of this dish, doubles, before?
If so, have you ever eaten doubles?
1. Trinidad's Street Foods
2. Trindad's Doubles
3. The Ultimate Trinidad and Tobago Doubles Recipe | Street Food | Taste of Trini
© 2011 Nyesha Pagnou MPH
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on April 01, 2011:
KoffeeKlatch Gals, thanks for posting a comment. I'm happy to hear that they spark your interest and you are thinking about trying them.
Hello, hello, you're welcome and thanks for your nice comment.
Hello, hello, from London, UK on April 01, 2011:
Thanks for such a lovely recipe.
Susan Hazelton from Northern New York on March 31, 2011:
What an interesting recipe. You're right I have never heard of doubles. Now that I have I'll have to try them.
Nyesha Pagnou MPH (author) from USA on March 31, 2011:
Hi esatchel, it's great to hear that you'll try it. You won't be disappointed especially if you love chick peas. Thanks for posting a comment.
PDGreenwell from Kentucky on March 31, 2011:
Sound delicious. We love chick peas around my house. Will try this. Ann