I went to the Weber Grill in Chicago and had one of these pretzel rolls with cheddar butter and I had to get the recipe. The rolls on the outside are crunchy like a pretzel and the center is soft. The cheddar butter compliments the pretzels and makes these so delicious. Please enjoy these pretzel rolls- they are absolutely amazing. From my home to yours- Enjoy
- 1 Package, Active Dry Yeast
- 5 Tablespoons, Butter Melted
- 1 1/2 Cups, warm water 110F
- 1/4 Cups, Baking Soda
- 1 Large Egg, Beaten
- 2 Teaspoons, Kosher salt
- 3 Teaspoons, Sugar
- Pretzel salt For sprinkling
- 1/2 cup Butter, Softened
- 1/2 teaspoon, Worchestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon, Garlic salt
- 4 teaspoons, Mac and cheese powdered cheddar from mac and cheese box.
- 4 1/2 cups, all purpose flour
- In a Bowl add the packet of yeast and warm water. Sprinkle sugar on top. Cover and let get foamy about 15 minutes
- Put your melted butter in a bowl. Add your yeast mixture, flour, salt and mix well.
- Place a piece of foil on the counter and sprinkle with flour. Knead your dough for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Spray a bowl with nonstick spray. Place your dough in the bowl and flip once. Cover with plastic wrap tight and place in a warm place till double. At least 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled punch dough down and divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece till nice and round. Place on foil lined backing sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let double- about 1 hour.
- Pre-Heat your oven to 425.
- In a large saucepan on the stove boil your water. When it has boiled remove to the side for a minute and add your baking soda. The water mixture will get frothy for a minute. Add back to the burner and add your dough balls one by one and let sit in the water for 1 minute. You want to flip them over in 30 seconds. ( This is an important step because it makes the dough crunchy on the outside).
- After the dough has been cooking for a minute you want to use a slotted spoon and put it back on the prepared baking pan lined with foil. Do this with all 8.
- Cut a slit in the top of each roll and brush each roll with the beaten egg. Then sprinkle with the pretzel salt. (If you dont have pretzel salt than use kosher salt- it is thicker than table salt)
- Bake rolls till tops are nice and browned- about 15 minutes.
- To make the cheddar spread- Get out a bowl. Melt the butter till softened. Add the worchestershire sauce, garlic salt, and 4 Teaspoons mac and cheese cheddar mix. Stir well. Serve with your pretzel rolls
How to Knead Dough
Must have Stand Mixer
Amy Goldstein (author) from Chesterfield on January 05, 2013:
It is 4 1/2 cups flour
carol stanley from Arizona on December 08, 2012:
I have never made bread, but this with the cheese has me interested. Let you know if I try this major bread undertaking.