Turmeric Tea : Boon for Hypothyroid
Turmeric (Curcuma longa),which is the bright yellow spice which is used throughout Asia for centuries, has also been embraced by West , in recent decades , not just for its ability to satisfy the appetite and color for curry, but also for its impressive list of health benefits.
Turmeric Tea brewed using turmeric root grated , is considered to be the most effective way to consume this miracle spice. Based on the researches available, there is no specific recommendations of turmeric intake, but most researches support 400 to 600 milligram of turmeric powder three days a day is safe.
Turmeric Tea Recipe
Ingredients for Turmeric Tea
- Water 4 cups
- Turmeric Roots or turmeric Powder.
- Ginger piece - 1inch long.
- Black Pepper or cinnamon
Turmeric Tea Recipe
These are the steps for turmeric tea are:
- boil 4 cups of water.
- add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground, grated, turmeric roots or powdered turmeric.
- allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 10 minutes
- add 2 to 3 grated black pepper powder.
- strain the tea into a cup and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- add a spoon of virgin olive oil or desi ghee.
- 2 - 3 drops of lemon can also be added.
Benefits of Turmeric Tea Ingredients
Benefits of turmeric tea ingredients
1. Turmeric Roots / or Turmeric powder : Grated Turmeric roots or turmeric powder is a magical spice which have antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties because of the bio - active compound CURCUMIN, which act on the thyroid gland to decrease its inflammation and facilitates its normal functioning in body. Curcumin also controls the thyroid adverse effects on Gastro - intestinal system.
2. Ginger : Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory which reduces the thyroid gland inflammation and maintains the efficient use of Thyroid Gland. When ginger and turmeric roots are used in combination, it helps to improve body metabolism, the basic function of thyroid hormones.
3. Black Pepper : In general, curcumin the bio compound is poorly absorbed, quickly metabolized, and rapidly eliminated by the digestive tract. Certain substances such as black pepper, which contains the compound called piperine, increases the bio availability of curcumin and thus increases its absorption and utilization in your body, thus it maintains the thyroid gland normal functioning.
4. Lemon : It is the richest source of Vitamin C, which aids in metabolism of fat. It can also reduce risk of heart disease and strokes.
5. Virgin Olive Oil or Ghee : The introduction of good fat in turmeric tea, aids in good absorption of turmeric bio - active compound Curcumin.
Nutritive Value of Turmeric Tea
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, one tablespoon (tbsp) of turmeric powder contains :
- 29 calories
- 0.91 grams (g) of protein
- 0.31 g of fat
- 6.31 g of carbohydrates
- 2.1 g of fiber
- 0.3 g of sugar
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2021 Anu
Anu (author) from Greater Noida on March 19, 2021:
Thanks ... will work more on bringing the informative articles more
Liza from USA on March 19, 2021:
I love turmeric. It's one of the most ingredients I use in the kitchen while I'm cooking. Most part, turmeric gives the vibrant beautiful yellow color but, the authentic flavor from turmeric is sumptuous. I have to try your turmeric tea recipe. I'm trying to cleanse my body before my trip. Thanks for sharing!