Creaming - or dicing a leftover meat to serve in a white sauce - is a longtime favorite for the cook and the diner. It is silky smooth, rich delicious, and tops lots of favorite foods lists. This version is perfect for creamed turkey, and it may be served in a number of ways. It's an ideal way to make use of up leftover turkey or chicken, and as a plus it's an low-cost meal also. Use this to top rice or buttered spaghetti, or try it out on toast, biscuits or puff pastry. You may even us it as a filling for crepes.
Go ahead and modify this recipe prefer. Several herbs go well here, including ground sage, thyme and rosemary. Or pick your own favorite!
Creamed Turkey - The Recipe
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3/4 cup sliced up fresh mushrooms
* 3 tbsps flour
* 1 1/2 cups whole milk
* 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
* 1 2 ozjardiced pimiento, drained
* 4 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 cup baby frozen peas
* Kosher salt, to taste
* ground black pepper, to taste
Creamed Turkey - Instructions
1. In a big skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onions and fresh mushrooms till mushrooms are soft and onions are soft and translucent.
2. Sprinkle in flour, mixing until it is well incorporated. Slowly whisk in milk and broth, stirring consistently and bring to a boil.
3. Decrease heat to a simmer. Stir in pimientos, turkey, nutmeg, peas and pepper and salt. Simmer till thick and bubbly, but don't boil.
4. Taste and adjust for seasoning, and serve hot over rice, noodles, toasted bread, pastry or biscuits.
Visit the Websites!
- Thrillbilly Gourmet
Eat real food! Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!
- Recipes for Leftover Turkey
No idea what to do with all that turkey? No problem - you've come to the right place. If you need recipes for leftover turkey, browse our collection. From turkey pot pie to turkey and dumplings, the best of the best are on this site!
Arlene V. Poma on December 11, 2011:
Very nice recipe Hub to add to my bookmark collection. At my home, we don't have too many turkey leftovers, but if we did, your recipe would be tops. Thanks! Voted up and all that.
d.william from Somewhere in the south on December 11, 2011:
Wonderful idea. I still have bags of frozen turkey left over from Thanksgiving. I will copy this recipe and use it for sure. Thank you for posting.
brandasaur from Planet X on December 11, 2011:
This is very great and very useful Hub! Christmas is coming to town =) Better to have this meal on your tables. Really looks delicious! I'm starving already. Hahaha.