A quick fix for the Thanksgiving dinner table doesn't need to impose danger on your family or home. Follow the simple safety precautions below, and you'll be lead to a mouth watering bird!
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your particular model of turkey fryer. Follow those instructions carefully.
- Never use an open-flame type fryer (such as a propane-fueled unit) indoors. These fryers are designed for outdoor use only. Do not operate your turkey fryer on or near flammable material or objects such as wooden decks or trees.
- Set up your fryer on a level dirt, grass, or concrete surface. If needed, a layer of sand can be used to level out the surface, and also to prevent grease stains beneath and around your turkey fryer.
- Never fry a frozen turkey.
- Do not stuff a turkey that will be deep fried.
- Do not allow children or pets to play in the area where the turkey fryer will be operated.
- Never leave your turkey fryer unattended. Even after you turn the burner off, the oil will remain hot for hours.
- Protect your skin from the potential of an oil splatter. Wear heat resistant gloves and long sleeves.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Do not overfill your fryer with oil. Click Here for instructions on determining how much oil you will need for your particular deep fryer and turkey size.
- Use a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the oil temperature.
- Always turn off the burner before inserting or removing food from your turkey fryer.
- Cajun Deep Fried Turkey Recipe
Cajun Deep Fried Turkey Prep Time: 30 minutes Fry Time: 3 minutes per pound Yields: 10-15 servings, plus leftovers 1 8-12 pound turkey 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika 1/2 tablespoon salt 3/4...
Dave Cald on March 20, 2011:
People are afraid to deep fry turkeys, because many clips have been shown on the news and youtube of the horrific results of frying a turkey the wrong way. I have had my turkey fryer for 5 years, and use it all the time. I've never had a problem. As long as you take the time to read the owners manual, and follow the safety precautions carefully you'll be fine. It's only the people who do foolish things and cut corners when it comes to safety who are left with destructive results.