A Chef & World Traveler That Has Been Lucky Enough To Taste And Cook With Some Of The Best Ingredients Around The Globe. Time To Share.
What is Conch
Conch (pronounced “konk”) is a tropical marine mollusk found in the waters of The Bahamas. Queen conch is a soft-bodied sea snail with a spiral-shaped shell and pinkish interior/ While there are many kinds of conch around the world, Queen conch is the most common in the region.
In the first year of life, conchs live beneath the sand and only come out to feed on the surface of the sand at night. Conchs diet consist of algae and other small marine plants. A mature conch is at least 5 years old. Conchs produce natural white, orange and pink pearls.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the Fritter:
- 1 cup conch meat
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 32 ounces oil, for frying
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red bell pepperchopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- as needed kosher salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
For the Pineapple Salsa:
- 3 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, 1/2 small diced & 1/2 pureed
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, small diced
- 2 each fresh lime, juiced
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, rough chop
- as needed kosher salt & black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan, pot or deep fryer to 350 degrees F (176 C). In a bowl, beat the egg. Add the flour and milk. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Fold in the conch meat, garlic, bell peppers, onion, celery. The batter should not be too runny. Note: Make a smaller test fritter to test the batter for seasoning and adjust if needed. Using two spoons, shape the batter as best as possible into a circular shape. Carefully place the batter into the heated oil, and fry for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- For The Salsa: Reserve 3/4 cup of the diced pineapple. The remainder pineapple, in a blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season to taste. Serve under and atop of each hot fritter.