Nabiilah is a blogger who loves baking, cooking, and trying new recipes.
Balsamic Chicken Marinade
Prep Time : 10 mins
Marinating Time : 15 mins
Total Time : 25 mins
- Ziploc Bags
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar optional to offset the acidity from the vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Make marinade: Place all marinade ingredients in a measuring jug and whisk very well.
- Marinate chicken: Place chicken in a ziploc bag or small glass dish. Pour marinade on top, making sure all chicken pieces are covered all over. Seal dish or bag well and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to overnight.
- Cook chicken: Remove chicken from marinade, discarding any excess. Cook chicken your preferred way.
- Grill: Place chicken on a hot grill and grill 6-8 minutes on either sides, or until chicken is done.
- Skillet: Heat oil in a skillet. Add chicken and cook around minutes on either side, or until chicken is done.
- Oven: Place chicken in a baking dish and bake at 410°F for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- use any chicken cut - boneless thighs or wings work especially great here, too
- you can cut the chicken in strips or in pieces, or pound it, before marinating
- freeze the freshly marinated chicken for up to 3 months - defrost in the fridge overnight before using
- leftover chicken keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days, add it to salads for easy lunches!
- use about 2 pounds of chicken with this amount of marinade for best texture and flavor
- If you want to avoid single-use plastic, you can also marinate the chicken in a glass or stainless steel container with a lid. Just make sure the chicken is covered in marinade! You may need to double the marinade depending on the size of your container.
- You should always discard used marinade for food safety reasons, do not reuse it.
- If you’re using defrosted chicken, it is recommended you do not re-freeze it.
- Simply place the chicken in the marinade in a freezer-friendly bag or container that seals well, making sure the chicken is evenly coated.
- Label your container with the name and use-by date (freeze for up to 3 months) and place in the freezer.
- To defrost, place on a soup plate to catch any drips and thaw in the fridge overnight.
Brown Sugar Italian Chicken
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (0.7-oz) packet Italian Dressing Mix
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Combine the brown sugar and Italian dressing mix. Coat both sides of the chicken with the brown sugar mixture. Place in prepared pan. Top chicken with any remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn broiler on HIGH. Broil chicken until brown sugar caramelizes, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Spicy Chipotle Chicken Thighs Marinade
PREP TIME : 15 minutes
COOK TIME : 15 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME : 2 hours
TOTAL TIME : 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 x 7 oz can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Follow the Notes below to match the ingredient quantities to your preferred taste (how spicy you want your chicken).
- Place all ingredients together in a food processor and pulse until liquefied.
- Pour marinade over 2lbs of fresh or defrosted boneless skinless chicken thighs in a 1 gallon food storage bag.
- Seal bag and refrigerate for 2 - 24 hours to let the meat marinate.
- Grill chicken thighs on medium high heat for 6-7 minutes per side until internal temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit or greater. (Grill temperatures/times will vary. On my grill medium high is 500 - 600 degrees F)
To customize how spicy your chicken is, when making the marinade, add Chipotle Peppers and Adobo sauce to your taste as guided below:
For Mild: use only 3 Chipotle peppers and 2 tbsp of Adobo sauce
For Medium: use 6 Chipotle peppers and 3 tbsp of Adobo sauce
For Hot: simply add the entire contents of a 7 oz can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
Easy Chilli Chicken Marinade and Cooking Recipe
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 10 minutes
Total Time : 25 minutes
Sweet Chili Chicken Marinade
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
Sweet Chili Chicken
- In a large zip-style bag add the marinade ingredients and push around on the outside of the bag with your fingers to combine.
- Lightly flatten the chicken by placing one piece at a time inside a plastic bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap. Use a wooden rolling pin or a meat tenderizer to flatten the chicken slightly and make it even thickness.
- Place each piece of flattened chicken into the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat your gas grill to medium to high heat. If using a charcoal grill, pile charcoal bricks in the center of the bottom of the grill in a pile. Use lighter fluid to get them going. Wait until the flames are gone to spread the heated charcoal bricks out evenly in the grill.
- Grill the chicken over medium to high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Turn occasionally with tongs. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken while it cooks. Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy with fresh, seasonal vegetables.
Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 24 Chicken thighs (about 6 pounds), boneless skinless
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 2 1/2 tsp Gingerroot, fresh
- 1/3 cup Sherry or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Soy sauce, reduced-sodium
Baking & Spices
- 1 cup Brown sugar, packed
- In a small bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients. Reserve 1-1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade between 2 large shallow dishes. Add 12 chicken thighs to each; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade.
- Grill chicken, covered, on an oiled rack over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.
Hawaiian Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 20 minutes
Marinate : 4 hours
Total Time : 4 hours 35 minutes
Servings : 5
Calories : 523kcal
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup pinapple juice
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, minced
- Place chicken thighs in a bowl or gallon-sized Ziploc bag, set aside.Combine remaining ingredients in medium-sized mixing bowl and mix until sugar dissolves.Pour marinade over chicken, press air out of bag, and seal tightly (or cover the bowl and make it as air-tight as possible).Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours). Remove chicken from bag and set aside. Do NOT discard marinade.
- In a medium saucepan, bring marinade to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Place chicken on grill and brush some of the hot marinade over the top (do not place brush back in marinade after brushing the chicken).Continue to grill chicken until done (165 degrees internal temp).
- Place cooked chicken in a baking dish and pour remaining hot teriyaki marinade over the top. Serve immediately.
Filipino chicken barbecue recipe
Prep Time : 3 hours
Cook Time : 15 minutes
Total Time : 3 hours 15 minutes
Servings : 10 people
Calories : 410kcal
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 lbs chicken thighs cut into small pieces (at the shelter they keep the bone in)
- Combine all the ingredients except chicken to make a marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 3-4 hours.
- Start a charcoal grill and let the coals get very hot. You want to smoke, flameless coals.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto wood skewers and place on a metal grate over the coals. Brush with oil and grill until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes.
- Repeat the grilling process with the cooked chicken, brushing with oil as necessary, until the outside of the chicken is a deep golden brown with a crispy exterior.
- Dip in a soy sauce and vinegar mixture with bird’s eye chilis for a little spiciness.
Spicy Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
- 1 kilogram chicken legs and breast
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4 bird’s eye chilli (which is called Peri Peri chilli or labuyo in Filipino)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried or fresh
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Dry the chicken with a kitchen towel and set aside. Blend all the marinade ingredients in a food processor and spread this evenly on the chicken. Transfer in an airtight container and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Cooking Note: You can grill the chicken or bake it whichever you prefer feasible.
- Place the chicken onto grill rack, cook for 40 minutes. Turning occasionally and cook until black specs on chicken.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray. Cover it with a foil. Place the chicken in the center of the oven at a preheated oven for 60 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- After 1 hour take the chicken out. If the chicken release lot of juices remove the juice from the tray. Brush or spray oil on the chicken and put the chicken in the oven again. Bake it without covering for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot and enjoy with Peri Peri sauce.
How to Make Peri Peri sauce:
- If you want to make Peri Peri sauce just double all the marinade ingredients while blended. Use half of the mixture for marinating the chicken and cook the other half of the mixture for 2-3 minutes to make Peri Peri sauce.
Classic Nando's Style Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
Peri peri chicken is a South African/Portuguese dish, made famous by the Nando’s chain of restaurants.
- 2 1/2 lbs Chicken drumsticks & thighs on the bones
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Peri peri sauce, Home made
Baking & Spices
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 Salt
Oils & Vinegars
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Take the chicken drumsticks & thighs in a clean dry bowl. Use skinless chicken pieces. You may also you chicken pieces with skin if you want, depending on cooking style preference.
- Slash each piece of the chicken diagonally a few times (2-3 slashes each piece depending on their sizes).
- Add salt, paprika & lemon juice to the chicken pieces and give them a good rub.
- Next, add the homemade peri peri sauce and rub well so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and pop it in the fridge. Allow the marinated chicken to rest for at least 3-4 hours. You may also leave it over night.
- Next, over medium heat set an iron skillet grill. Brush olive oil and arrange the chicken pieces shaking off the excess marinade without over crowding. Cook them roatating side to side after few minutes until fully cooked. It should take you about 30 mins approximately. Brush them with olive oil or drizzle oil on the skillet while cooking the chicken.
- Serve hot. Enjoy. You may garnish it with more peri peri sauce or use the left over sauce if any as a dip. It tastes fabulous.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- An Iron Skillet Grill works best for today's Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken Recipe. The roasted flavor is massive and undeniably good.
- The cast iron skillet grill must be heated up nice and spitting hot before placing the marinated chicken. Arrange the marinated chicken pieces on the HOT skillet grill after brushing or drizzling oil on the skillet.
- I have used Organic skinless Chicken from Whole Foods and hence, the size of each piece is small.
- The number of slashes on the chicken will depend on the it's size. It might need 3-4 slashes if each piece is big.
- The 30 mins cooking time is meant for tender small organic chicken. If it's a big chicken and not organic you have to increase the cooking time accordingly. It might take a little longer to get fully cooked.
- 3-4 hours marination time is a must for delicious flavor. You may also marinate the chicken overnight.
- You may use Chicken Breasts too to cook Nando's Peri Peri Chicken Recipe. In that case you may need to reduce the cooking time. Chicken Breasts are tender and gets cooked faster.
- Garnish the skillet roasted Peri Peri chicken with more piri piri sauce or you may use any left over sauce as a dip too. It tastes amazing.
Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken With Marinade
Prep Time5 minsCook Time45 minsAdditional Marinating time1 hrTotal Time50 mins
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon (Juice and zest)
- 1 orange (juice only)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2.2 lb Chicken pieces - skin on
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390ºF.
- Place the minced garlic, lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil into bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the lemon zest, sweet paprika, black pepper, chilli flakes and oregano and mix well.
- Pour the marinate into a plastic bowl or large ziplock bag.
- Add the chicken pieces and leave to marinate for at least an hour but overnight will give you a great flavour.
- Lay the chicken out in a baking dish, sprinkle over the salt and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Carefully baste the chicken with the pan juices and served sprinkled with fresh parsley.
Peri Peri Grill Chicken
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 1 hour
Total Time : 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings : 4 -5
Calories : 240kcal
- 3 1/2 – 4 pound chicken cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon , optional
- ¼ medium red pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno peppers , coarsely chopped, seeds removed
- 1 fresh chili pepper or more , coarsely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup olive oil or more
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Juice of I medium sized lemon , adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste.
- black or white pepper to taste
- Blend red pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, and onions in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil, coconut milk to facilitate blending. Then mix in smoked paprika, lemon juice, black or white pepper and coconut milk. Adjust for salt and seasoning. Refrigerate and use when ready. You may make this a day or more ahead of time.
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Rub with lemon, and season with salt, chicken bouillon and pepper
- Drench the chicken with peri- peri marinate, place in a zip lock bag, or sealed containers and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to grill, using a tong, remove chicken from the peri peri marinade and remove excess marinate. Reserve the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium- high heat.
- Place chicken on the grill and grill for about 10-15 minutes an each side you may need to turn the chicken occasionally on each side until it is cooked all the way. Do this in batches if you have a small grill.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the remaining peri peri marinade and the one from the chicken for about 7 minutes. Serve with chicken or mix with chicken.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken pieces out in a single layer.
- Bake chicken until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes-rotate half ways through-roughly 20 minutes.
Nabiilah Bundhoo (author) from Mauritius on March 13, 2021:
Thelma Alberts from Germany on March 12, 2021:
Wow! All these chicken recipes make me hungry. Filipino chicken barbecue is one of my favorites. I would love to try the other recipes. Thank you for sharing.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on March 12, 2021:
Chicken marinated is one of my favorite recipes. Often I do marinate for a BBQ. Your recipe ideas are helpful and I enjoy the different spices in a marinade.