James has won several awards on articles ranging anywhere from killer asteroids to becoming an excellent getaway driver. #HoBoTrails
The Almighty Buffalo Wing
Behind most every American icon there seems to be a little, if not a lot, of controversy. Well, the Buffalo Wing is no different. Here we go.
The Buffalo Wing is not as old as some would think. It didn't come to light until the year 1964. That makes the Buffalo Wing a lot younger than some would care to admit. Actors like Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt and Mike Meyers (to name a few) are all older than the Buffalo Wing. Think about that for a minute. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just to give a perspective and it just goes to show that stars aren't born down here on Earth -- they're made.
How it Started
Origin of the Buffalo Wing Under Scrutiny
The Year was 1964
The Anchor Bar, located in Buffalo, New York is said to have been the establishment where the very first order of Buffalo Wings were ordered and served. The year was 1964. Everything past this part is under scrutiny.
This woman claims to be the inventor of the Buffalo Wing. She thought it up, covered the wings in her "own special sauce" and served them with Blue cheese along with celery & carrot sticks for dipping. This story is seldom disputed, however, there's always someone who says that they have the real story.
Teresa Bellissimo's husband, Frank
Frank claims that he has the real story. His claim was that the bar had gotten the wrong products in their shipment by mistake. The products were bags of just chicken wings, therefore the Buffalo Wing was made out of necessity if not, desperation. This story could backup Teresa Bellissimo's story. By her not saying it was made out of necessity, which would be the truth however, is that something you tell your customers? I think it was good marketing strategy on Teresa Bellissimo's part.
Teresa Bellissimo's son, Dominic
Then there's Dominic. Teresa's son. He claims that he created the Buffalo Wing during a drinking session he had going on with his friends. He claims that it was he who thought up the Buffalo Wing at his request. His mother, Teresa Bellissimo made them, however he said that he told her how to do it. He also claimed to be the first person served an order of Buffalo Wings.
In the end...
It's quite unfortunate that we may never know the truth about the true origins of the Buffalo Wing. It's also unfortunate that all three persons mentioned above have passed on.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
two people/ six Buffalo Wings each
Ingredients for BBQ Wing Sauce
- 1 - 18 ounces bottle open pit bbq sauce
- 1 - 18 ounces bottle kc masterpiece bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Another American Icon
It took almost 20 years for the Buffalo Wing to catch on nationwide. Contributors to Time Magazine claim that it wasn't until the mid 1980's that the Buffalo Wing went coast-to-coast. With the help of the Hooters franchise and their ideology, how could it fail... you know?
It took about the 1990's to say anything in reference about Buffalo Wings to where people knew what you were talking about and you weren't expected to plug a restaurant. Unless they were sponsoring an "All-You-Can-Eat Buffalo Wings Eating Contest" or having a special deal for a limited time.
Remember, hot wings are just hot wings... unless they're covered in the Buffalo Sauce, then they've become Buffalo Wings.
Buffalo Wings are awesome.
Instructions for BBQ Wing Sauce
- Take all three ingredients and mix thoroughly in a bowl.
- After the twelve chicken wings have been deep fried, when the fresh wings are about to be served, pour the BBQ Wing Sauce over the Buffalo Wings while they are still hot.
- Be sure to serve little cups of the BBQ Wing Sauce for dipping.
Cook Time for Chicken Wings
Cook time: 13--18 minutes Ready in: 20 minutes
Yields: two people/six wings each
- 12 meaty chicken wings, raw & fresh
How to Fry Chicken Wings
- Place 12 meaty chicken wings in a fry basket
- Gently place down the fry basket into the hot oil which is set at 375 degrees, making sure that every bit of the chicken wings are submerged. Do not splash the hot oil.
- After between 13--18 minutes, see if the wings are ready to be served.
- * If not in a rush, gently shake the fry basket occasionally to move the chicken wings around. This will help prevent them from sticking together. Do not splash the oil.
- Using your own wing sauce, mix in bowl or pour over right before they are to be served.
DIY Buffalo Wing Sauce
Basic Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- Melt 1 cup of butter over low heat in pan
- Remove pan from heat
- Sprinkle in garlic powder, pour in 1 1/3 cups of hot sauce and mix (using a whisk works best)
- Wait until sauce thickens (usually takes about 1 minute)