The Triple 'C' Salad
The main ingredients of this recipe are:
This is why I named it the Triple 'C' salad.
Keep reading to learn and make it yourself.
Impress yourself and your guests with this healthy delicacy.
Carrot Coconut Chickpea Salad
- Grated carrots - 3 cups
- Cooked chickpeas - 3 cups
- Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 3 tbsp
- Ground black pepper - 1 tbsp
- Plain yoghurt - as needed for dressing
Choice of ingredients
1. Grated carrots
- Use freshly grated large carrots.
- Do not cook the carrots.
- Wash them and use it raw.
2. Cooked chickpeas
- Use freshly cooked chickpeas.
- To make freshly cooked chickpeas, soak the raw chickpeas in hot water. After 4-8 hours, transfer them along with the water to a rice cooker (or) a stovetop pot. Let it cook in medium to high flame. Use a fork to check if they are cooked. It is cooked if when you insert the fork, it pokes in smoothly through the chickpea and feels very soft to touch.
3. Shredded coconut
- Preferably, use freshly grated shredded coconut.
- In some countries, it is difficult to get a fresh coconut. In such cases, use store-bought prepackaged shredded coconut as an alternative. Make sure to pick the unsweetened kind of shredded coconut for this dish.
4. Lemon juice
- Freshly squeeze the juice out of a lemon.
- Do not add any water (or) other additives
- Use fresh whole peppercorns.
- Use a peppercorn grinder to powder them fresh.
Note: Please see link below for the type of peppercorn grinder that I use and recommend. It really makes the job of grinding peppercorns so easy. I get to use fresh and unaltered pepper powder every single time.
- Use plain, unflavored yogurt. Fresh, homemade yogurt will make this recipe more natural and healthy. Here is a link to an easy no-fail homemade yogurt recipe.
Take a large bowl. Add 3 cups of grated carrots, 3 cups of cooked chickpeas and 1/2 cup grated coconut. To this, add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper.
Mix all the ingredients together using a spatula. Taste it. If you prefer to add more of any of the ingredients to suit your taste, feel free to do so.
Serve the salad and get ready to eat.
Use yoghurt as a natural dressing. As with any other dressing, you can use as much of the dressing as you want to make the meal enjoyable to you. The good thing is that it is a natural dressing with no preservatives.