Alessio enjoys traveling and discovering new cultures and food traditions.
Fast food restaurants are everywhere. In the USA, they are certainly popular, as most of the iconic international chains come from here, but they are also successful in the rest of the world. Even here in Italy, it is not uncommon to find long queues at some branches of famous American burger brands and fewer people inside other kinds of places. The success of fast food is undoubtedly high, and several reasons explain the popularity of these restaurants.
Fast Food is Cheap
In the USA, it is not uncommon to find fast food products at a low price while, on the opposite, healthy and organic items are generally expensive. It is even true at the supermarket: in fact, the USA even features different chains of markets, some of which focus more on low-budget fast food items, and others for people who prefer to spend more on healthy food. We don’t have this big gap between healthy and junk food in Italy. Supermarkets tend not to target people for their budget, and healthy food is not a luxury here: almost everyone can afford to buy fruits, vegetables, and biological stuff. When coming to restaurants, we still have fast food chains selling lunch menus at low prices compared to traditional restaurants with table service. There are several reasons behind these low prices, including:
- A strong bargaining power towards the suppliers due to the high popularity of the fast food brand;
- The high volume of customers makes it possible to lower the markup on single items.
Fast Food is Good Tasting
Most people love the taste of fast food. Sandwiches are often caloric and loaded with sauces, and side dishes like French fries or nuggets meet the taste of several people. There is a general love for the taste of fried stuff and caloric food, without forgetting pastries: in fact, fast food restaurants often feature a wide selection of ice creams, donuts, croissants, cakes, and other sugary stuff.
Fast Food Chains Invest Much in Marketing
The most relevant fast food chains are generally very aggressive when investing in marketing. They put much money into TV commercials, internet ads, social media marketing, and promotions inside food delivery apps. There are several reasons behind this investment in marketing:
- Big fast food labels often make ads targeted to kids. Kids generally love fast food, and commercials make them want to grab a new trendy burger or go because some famous testimonials are featured. These kids ask their parents to go to the fast food restaurant, meaning entire families dine out to make the children happy.
- Other ads are targeted more at students and workers and often highlight the low prices for having a meal at the fast food restaurant before returning to work. Considering the crisis and the fact not many people can afford to spend much on dining out, these places represent a cost-effective solution for many people.
- Fast food chains generally give much importance to delivery. Promoting delivery services and investing in highlighted positioning on the various platforms allow them to ensure a good number of loyal customers who order food from home. It is not only an additional income but also represents good safety in situations like pandemics and social emergencies that result in lockdowns.
- Aggressive advertisement: fast food chains release frequent TV commercials and regularly propose new products. It is a way to let the customers know that they can still enjoy a different experience whenever they go to a restaurant, giving an idea of always being innovative. It also keeps the attention on the brand over the years, ensuring it continues to preserve its value from generation to generation.
In general, the success of fast food restaurants lies in a mix of different reasons:
- Strong marketing techniques;
- The ability to keep the prices low;
- Most people love their food;
- They are usually family-friendly and a good choice for students, workers, and people who want to eat something without spending too much.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2021 Alessio Ganci